kids sized crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fogducker

kids sized crossbows

Post by fogducker »

had my grandsons out this past weekend playing with my exomax :D
needless to say it was a bit on the heavy side for them.
what would be a half decent xbow for kids around the 12 years of age range?
DaGriz

Post by DaGriz »

Look at the TenPoint Flex. You can adjust the draw weight by positioning the bow at different draw weight/length. It's nice as you can increase the draw weight as the boy becomes aclimated to the CB.
You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
bj

Post by bj »

we have a few parkers available in the 100 # range...these come as a complete kit (bow, bolts, heads, quiver, red dot, some have a cocking aid) and are priced fairly reasonably...

Wayne........
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think BJ has the better bow. I bought a Flex and I have to say that it is loud enough to cause the shooter (esp a young one) to develop a flinch. No kidding. You cannot believe how loud it is! It is louder than an Exomax using FFF and shooting firecrackers in a bathroom! Every possible way of making noise is on the bow. I have to recommend against the Flex, sorry Darrel!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

So Boo.. tell me about shooting firecrackers in the bathroom.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Wayne B wrote:So Boo.. tell me about shooting firecrackers in the bathroom.
LOL, the first time you fire the bow you'd swear that someome lit off a lady finger firecracker beside you! The Flex can be made quiet with some work.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

C'mon now, I've heard of fireWorks in other parts of the house. This could get really interesting.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I have also been looking for a crossbow for my son. He's small for his age (will be 8 in a couple weeks) and the issue isn't draw weight, it's length of pull & physical weight. With a full length stock (like my Phoenix) there's no way he can shoulder it and shoot. Even with a monopod or bipod it's just too much!
I can find very little selection of crossbows with an adjustable length of pull. The Barnett RC-150 is one of the best choices I've located so far. The local dealer said he would sell me one at cost if I wanted to buy one for my son. I don't want to spend a fortune for a crossbow that will probably be replaced in a couple years, so I'll probably end up with the Barnett.
wabi
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

Wabi, I've shortened firearms before. Is there anyway you could cut one down for your young lad?
wabi

Post by wabi »

I could, but it seems like an expensive way to go. The stock would soon be too short and then i would have to buy another. With the Barnett the stock fits great now with the butt pad completely removed. As he grows I could replace the pad and then adjust it for more length. When he is able to shoot a full length stock I can sell it and get him an Excalibur. :wink:
wabi
fogducker

Post by fogducker »

thanks for the tips all :D ..least now when i go out looking for a bow for the kids,i can toss a brand name or two around ,and not look as dumb as i really am on bows :oops: ..
keep the info coming all :D