Last Week of Turkey

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

N8tr Boy

Last Week of Turkey

Post by N8tr Boy »

Hey Gang 1 Week Left. Have been out 5-6 times this season scouted two bushes fairly well ,seen birds in both, but never found roosting areas.Set blind up in very good areas of these bushes (well travelled game trails by birds, feeding areas).Been out before light and never hear or see birds when there.Talked to a father and son today who have been out in another area last 2 weekends and the birds have been seen and very "talkative" until at least 11am. What should I be doing differently. i have noticed in other posts they are setting up near corn stubble or sprouting crops. I thought I was doing my homework as I found dusting areas, scratching areas, droppings but no roosts? Can anyone help?
Mark
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sometimes cruising the edges of newly plowed fields or freshly maured areas will produce some good areas to hunt. It's been a wet and cool spring so the birds seem to be acting a bit differently and some haunts seem to be visited later this year. Another thing to do is to look for them and watch where they go into the bush in the evening and come back to that area early afternoon and wait on them. There's lots of bachelor groups around so leave the jake deeks at home.
That being said, I haven't got mine yet either! I've blown 3 good chances at real longbeards so far. Next week jakes have a reason to run!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Thanks Boo. When xbowkidd and I went out the opening Sat. and they fell into our lap I thought COOL. We have been using his jake deek but if the birds don't come into sight that doesn't help either. Will they come in even without a deek? we only have the one at this time.I do have permission on other propeties but haven't had the time to scout. One hasn't had hunting on at all the landowner told me. None was interested in his 15 acres of adjoining bushes. Is it too late to try that one?
Boo

Post by Boo »

You're just north of Scumgog aren't you? Your birds may be highly pressured. In the morning they find it difficult not to gobble when hey hear crows or owls. Try to locate them that way. It's not too late to use a hen. In fact those bachelor groups are a pack of hen bangers on the prowl for any left over fertile hens that didn't get impregnated or lost their brood.
Their biggest defence is their eyes and don't I know it. They've made me standing in the bush 30 feet in dense brush from 50 yards away. It could be that they see you moving and don't come out. Have you tried a pop up blind?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

We are in a blind. The one day I went out late aft to locate about 6pm didn't take the blind, sat by a large tree and did some calling with xbow in hand. Was looking for "hot- spots" and forgot myself and suddenly turned left instead of slowly. There 50 yrds left 2 jakes deep red heads staring me down. they went behind a tree, I moved my cramping leg too fast and they made me. Leason learned. I live near Listowel, Stratford. 2nd home is New Hamburg, dscharr's home grounds. The blind works quite well but we don't seem to be placing the blind is the most active areas.
dschnarr

Post by dschnarr »

Find the fields they are feeding in and sit patently. If the hens are there more likely a Jake or a tom will be in the area. I've gone out in the past in the early afternoon and seen them strolling the edge of the fields popping in and out. Just be patient. :lol:
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

Thanks dschnarr
I was hoping to get out this week but guess what 2 contractors want their work do TODAY. so I will be working late every night so I might be able to go out Sat. i'm hopin'. Dschnarr we should stop for coffee sometime being you live in NH. I am bricking a semi on Forrest ave this week and next.
Mark
dschnarr

Post by dschnarr »

I think I drove past you on Forest today. Email me mabe we can set something up.