Reading Material

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crunch

Reading Material

Post by Crunch »

Anyone reading any good deer hunting books in the off season?

crunch
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

Read one last year by Greg Miller. "Bowhunting the Forests and Deep Woods". Great read if you hunt areas which are not agricultural land of plots.
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
dutchhunter

books

Post by dutchhunter »

I enjoy reading and have complete set of peter capstick africa hunting . The greates investment i ever made I am always looking for more good books :roll:
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

ecoaster wrote:Read one last year by Greg Miller. "Bowhunting the Forests and Deep Woods". Great read if you hunt areas which are not agricultural land of plots.
Ecoaster lent me his copy. I wasn't happy having to give it back, so I bought my own!!!!
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

Thanks, I'll check them out. Has anyone read "Crossbow Hunting"? Can't remember the author. I saw it on Chapter.ca.

crunch
xboman

Books to read

Post by xboman »

The deer and deer hunting area is a broad field.

I have amassed a collection of over 140 volumes dealing exclusively with deer and it's hunting.... a good number of them are rare or scarce, out-of-print, privately printed, limited editions or greatly sought after novels.

I recommend you concentrate your book search on older proven and solid titles rather than purchasing new ones which tend to favor the author's approach and which tend to be biased from the beginning. An overall general view of deer hunting and all the various aspects of their world should contribute to a more complete understanding and appreciation of the whitetail deer species.

You would be much better served by old " tried and tested methods " which have stood the test of times and can still be employed today. Methods that relied on knowledge of the quarry and woodsmanship not to mention the fascinating accounts experienced afield instead of today's literature containing overrated comments related to gadgets, gimmicks and predictable conclusions.

If titles of this nature interest you, they can still be obtained through used book dealers and other book stores.

A beginning of my list of Great Deer Books:

1- In the category of Yesteryear:

The Deerstalkers by Frank Forester (actually Henry William Herbert):
198 pages
It is an early american short fancy sketch of deer hunting in the lower counties of New York.
You may be able to find copies of the 1930 Derrydale Press edition in used book stores.

2-Forty-four Years of the Life of a Hunter by Meshach Browning
400 pages
-went through many editions
If you are interested in the heroic, picturesque adventures of fighting wounded bucks bare handed, read Meshach's wild experiences which took place between 1796-1840 in Maryland.

3-The Still-Hunter by Theodore Van Dyke
389 pages
-also went through many editions
This book is a classic for the deer hunter...A must read.

My Deer Book list continues.

On the literature side: 3 books come to mind....Deep Enough for Ivorybills, The Old Man and the Boy, & The Deer Pasture.

-Deep Enough for Ivorybills, by James Kilgo
1988, 193 pages
Don't be fooled by the title into thinking this book does not contain material on deer hunting. Kilgo's thoughts and reflections are deep in meanings and questions. 5 stars

The Old Man and the Boy, by Robert Ruark
1957, 303 pages
This book contains more subject matter than purely deer hunting material, but read it anyways. This book fits the category of global outdoor activity....and it should touch your heart.

The Deer Pasture, by Rick Bass
1985, 123 pages
Read about the close relationships a deer hunter can have with the land, it's inhabitants, the deer, his family, his friends, and the deer camp in general. Unlike any other deer book out there.

Scientific Aspects books

2 suggestions here......White-Tailed Deer, and Producing Quality Whitetails

White-Tailed Deer: Ecology and Management, by Lowell Halls
1984, 870 pages
This book is "A Library" in itself. Interesting chapter on how Indians wearing a disguise hunted deer.

Producing Quality Whitetails by Al Brothers and Murphy Ray
1975, 245 pages
If your a landowner and you want to improve the quality of deer that frequent it and you want to understand how it can be done as well as see the proven results then this book is for you. Gives the reasoning behind the responsability of shooting does and the need to reduce inferior bucks early.

Popular Science and Natural History

In this area there are some fantastic books namely: The Deer of North America, Trails of Enchantment, Whitetailed Deer, Shots at Whitetails and Hunting the White-Tailed Deer in Texas. Although any of these would be excellent choices I will only provide my comments on the 1st 3.

The Deer of North America by Leonard Lee Rue III
1978, 463 pages
Lee Rue III's contribution to the deer hunter's interest of the species is extraordinary. His photos alone are world rekowned. His knowledge matched by his writings are vast and top-notch.

Trails of Enchantment by Paul Brandreth 1930, 318 pages

Not many deer hunting books have been authored by women but this one stands has a giant. Published in 1930, Paulina Brandreth wrote under the name Paul because of fears her book would not be taken seriously by the public. Remember we are talking of 1930 here. Few good books capture the essence of the hunt and the true meaning of the love of the outdoors as this one does. Don't simply take my word for it but read it yourself. The 1930 edition copy remains very hard to find especially if it includes the scarcer and impressive colorful dustjacket. One can expect to pay upwards of 200$ US for a fine copy. A more afforable paperback issue was recently printed in 2002 or 2004.

Whitetailed Deer by William Monypeny Newsom
1926, 288 pages

Good luck in your hunt for this jewel. It contains material still in application today and it presents it in a most simple manner and in an uncomplicated language style. I own 2 copies of this book and I highly value them. No other edition has gone to print so this book is extremely difficult to locate and could be even harder to purchase due to the price it can command.

How-to's Books

John Weiss's Advanced Deer Hunting is a strong choice. How many books does one need to read in order to know how to kill a deer?....One, just this one.
If I was going to intiate a newcomer on how to properly hunt deer, I would tell him to 1st read this book.
Advanced Deer Hunting by John Weiss
1987, 334 pages

Record books

Legendary Whitetails by Dick Idol
Stories with the breathtaking photos of some of the all-time 40 greatest whitetails ever recovered are what this book reveals.

Diaries and Journals

2 books...The Bucks Camp Log and North American Big Game Hunting in the 1800's are the focus here.

The Bucks Camp Log by Majorie Williams or Gleen H. Williams
1974, 111 pages
No comments will be presented regarding this title. Purchase if you can find it. I garantee you will not be disappointed.
North American Big Game Hunting in the 1800's by John Howard.
1982, 498 pages
One of the finest book in my library. Although the contents of this particular book doesn't exclusively deal with deer, it simply cannot be passed up for it contains anthologies of a period which we will never experience again but can only continue to imagine. These real life stories have to be read to be believed. This limited edition of 1000 copies comes in a custom slipcase, custom-bound in leather, moiré silk endpapers and with a gold ribbon marker. A beautiful and magnificent work.

Photo books

Whitetail Country by Daniel J. Cox and JohnJ. Ozoga
1988, 145 pages

also

Hunting Wildlife with Camera and Flashlight, Volumes I and II
1935, 1936, 450 pages and 450 pages

Put these books on the table so others can enjoy the beauty and the mystery involving whitetail deer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Whew..outta breath here and I did not even touch the books with subject matter relating to poaching.

I leave you with this:

"Limited weeks of deer hunting experiences, out of fifty-two, do not thoroughly or reasonnably satisfy the deer enthusiast. Consequently, one turns to good books to help stretch out the season. They can be enjoyed without seasons, bag limits or financial limitations and they do help insure that the best of the golden years of outdoor hunting experiences and recreation will not be lost."

-Robert Wegner-

I will only add that I am comforted in knowing those stories and recollections live in my memory and on my shelves.

Enjoy
xboman
xboman

One More Book

Post by xboman »

My most prized book is titled:
The Hunting Expeditions of Oliver Hazard Perry - 1899

Although 1994 reprinted copies editions of the "Hunting Expeditions of Oliver Hazard Perry" by St. Hubert's Press, can still be found in the $80 -$100 range, I am referring to the 1st edition printed in the year 1899.

This deer book provides the reader with accounts of the daily adventures of a mid-nineteenth century deerslayer (1836 to 1855) in the deer forest of parts of Ohio, Michigan and the lower regions of Lake Erie & Lake Huron.

Perry enjoyed nothing more than a "protracted encampment" in the
depths of the deer forests. He fought battles with wildlife, buck
fever and deer mice; he had to endure violent storms; he
frequently lacked nourishment due to endless tracking efforts
ending with many deer being left unretrieved, and finally, Perry
suffered severe bouts with delirium tremors or ague which were
marked by attacks of chills, sharp fevers, sweating, and fits of
shivering.

Fascinating reading!

Only one hundred copies of the 1899 1st edition were originally published - making the book extremely rare and expensive. It was published by The Marion Press in Jamaica, NY and thanks to the efforts of Charles W. Bingham and was intended for private distribution only and was not offered for sale. In the 10 years of collecting, I am aware of only 5 other copies currently in existence: 2 are in private libraries, 2 more are in University Libraries in the US in 2 States that have conserved them as real historical documents, and 1 other copies, is being offered for sale at a price of $2000 US. My copy is #38 and still has the owner's bookplate on the inside cover...his name? That's right, it's Charles W. Bingham.

If you can purchase a 1994 copy. Buy it.

xboman
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

xboman,

You certainly have quite a collection, and you're obviously very knowledgeable.
Thank-you for your suggestions. I'll hit some of the used book stores and hopefully be lucky.

All The Best,

crunch
xboman

Knowledgeable - Maybe / Passionate - Definitely

Post by xboman »

Crunch,

The beauty of this site is the willingness of the members to share their knowledge and experiences. The comments are transmitted calmly with respect. No one pretends to have acquired all the required information and proof about anything.

What we do have in common is a love of nature, its inhabitants and our place among them. Many members of this site are all ambassadors of hunting in general and they are involved in discussions because they are passionate about it.

Good luck in your search for the titles I described.
dutchhunter

books

Post by dutchhunter »

Thanks for the insight i will continue my search for new storys and books with some of these titles thank u
Kenton

Post by Kenton »

I recently bought Bill Heavey's book. He writes the humor section in Field and Stream. The book is titled "If You Didn't Bring Jerkey, What Did I Just Eat". I intended to read it on camping trips and down time a work this spring but I read the whole thing in two days. It is histarically funny and an easy read.
"You have reached the pinnacle of success as soon as you become uninterested in money, compliments, and publicity." - Eddie Rickenbacker, World War I pilot
Michael Stogre

Meditations on Hunting

Post by Michael Stogre »

Have been reading this book by the Spanish philosopher, Ortega y Gasset.
The book Jacket has this to say about it: "Meditations on Hunting is the only book that clearly defines the essence of hunting."

Wilderness adventures Press is proud to have continuously published the
only edition of this classic work since 1995. Our good friend and artist
Brett Smith painted the cover especially for this edition. He also provided
us with a number of his outstanding etchings for the text.

Meditations on Hunting
is the cornerstone book on hunting and belongs
in every hunter's library.

Chuck & Blanche Johnson
Publishers
Wilderness Adventures Press, Inc.

www.wildadvpress.com / [email protected]
I would like to live like a river flows
Surprised by its own unfolding.
(John O'Donohue)
UrbanSherpa

Post by UrbanSherpa »

I read 'Crossbow Hunting'. It is pretty decent with lots of 'Excalibur' info/pics. I recently picked up 'Canadian Whitetail Hunting' by Dragan Vujic. I could do without the silly cover photo, but it it looks well written. I've flicked through it but will wait till buck season to study it properly. It is a somewhat Ontario specific book which suits me.
Exocet 200
LumiZone
FireBolts
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

These are the ones I have read:
Bowhunting Pressure Whitetails
Precision Bowhunting
Bowhunting Forest & Deep Woods
All very good each have different info and ideas.
But a real interesting read was " Modern Hunting with Indian Secrets"
Didn't read the whole book, but what I did I really liked.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I first read this book by Kathy Etling back in 1990. I review it just about every year. I really consider this book to be the bible for what I attempt to accomplish every year.

This book distinguishes the differences between average bucks and super bucks better than any other out there in my opinion. It gives you a keen insight into the behavior of mature whitetail bucks. In addition, it gives you great information as to where you should be hunting for these brutes.

The tactics described in this book are responsible for several of the very large bucks I have harvested.

If your an antler addict, it is a must have.