The startup package? What have i forgotten?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Skarek

The startup package? What have i forgotten?

Post by Skarek »

I'm just about to buy my first Phoenix (my license arrived today). As I'm will be one of maybe 10 people in Sweden with Excaliburs, I quite have to start from scratch (about 700km to the closest crossbow I know of).

What should I buy in my start up package (I'll order it all from the states). I thought of buying it all from bowhunterssuperstore.com, as I know that they deliver to Sweden.

My list at the moment consists of:
Excalibur Phoenix Crossbow, HRDWD. 2008.
Excalibur Right Stuff Crossbow Acces. w/ Lumi Zone Scope, Realtree Hardwoods. 2008.
Excalibur Blizzard Scope Caps For Lumi-Zone Scope, 2Pk. 2008
Excalibur Crossbow Stand. 2008.
Excalibur Rope Cocking Aid. 2008 (extra to build a Arrow Puller)

I'm thinking of buying a fletching jig, any tips?

Should i buy extra arrows? In case what brand?
What point (only targetshooting) etc?

Targets can I use/build with my Archery club.

Have i forgotten anything that I ought to buy? Any tips or thoughts? Is something useless to buy?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

You are certainly off to a good start!
Fletching jigs, depending on how involved you want to get, Blitz makes the best they say, but I prefer the Arizona EZ fletcher, slaps 3 vanes on in seconds, I am very picky about consistency and this inexpensive tool works beyond my expectations.
You may want to consider the small stuff you will need later, like serving material.
Enjoy!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
8up

Post by 8up »

I don't see a case listed.

You might save a little money from "Western Hunting Online" if they ship to Sweden.
http://www.westernhuntingonline.com/sto ... list&c=122
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
liaf

Post by liaf »

I purchased my first crossbow this year and it was a phoenix with the right stuff package but it had the varizone scope. I bought a morrel super duper target for practice but I doubt you want one shipped to sweden since it weighs about 30lbs and shipping would cost a lot. You may want to look locally for a target or even make one yourself. I am sure someone could advise you on what you need to construct your own target. It is illegal to hunt with a crossbow in New York state but i bought mine with the intention that in a couple of years it would be legal to hunt with in NYS or New Jersey. I do not know if you have ever shot a crossbow, I never did and i was shocked on how loud a crossbow can sound. Even though I am only target shooting I decided to get an STS(BHSS has them) and a BOO string(custom string maker from Ontario, Canada). My crossbow isn't dead quiet but these 2 options have made an improvement with the noise level. One may question why spend the money to make it less noisy if you aren't hunting but these two modifications make it more desirable and fun to shoot. I would also get another 1/2 dozen arrows since the excal are really accurate and before you know it you have ruined 2 out of your orginal six arrows. Listen to what other people have to say and then decide on what you really need in order to make this a complete package.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

It sure sounds like you have it covered to me. Bow Hunters Super Store Is Great to work with :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Boo

Post by Boo »

There is no question in my mind that you should also get a Cavalier Pro serving tool and a spool of serving. It is better to serve rather than buy a new string.
The Arizona may not be the "best" but for a first time user it is the most convenient with a very short learning curve. The only bugaboo is using feathers. It's not quite the right tool for feathers and there is zero flexibility but it will make good arrows pretty much right away. So fletchings, fletching glue etc is in order.
Stick with the factory Dacron endless loop strings until you are rejected from the Dry-Fire club. Pydiper is the President and Awshucks is the Vice.
I really believe in the STS for many reasons. Other than that I think you are good to go!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I agree. Ditch the stand and get a serving tool and a spool of .36 diameter Brownell's, braided crossbow serving. Sooner or later you will have to reserve that string. I'd get a spare string too, just to be safe, preferably a Boo Flemish string.
Skarek

Post by Skarek »

Finally my package has arrived. Tomorrow I'll start assembling it and then I have to fix a target and then I'll start the shooting. This far I'm very happy. I'll come back to you with more info and pictures...
Skarek

Post by Skarek »

I have still not had time to sight in the bow, as work is killing me at the moment. Still I have had time to shoot some arrows. The first 3 grouped within 1 inch. I almost ruined the shafts... 8) The following 6 did the same...

Excalibur crossbows seems quite accurate :D

The first 3 arrows ever with my new Phoenix.

My first trophy picture :lol:
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

looking good man, and as you will find out dont shoot at the same spot more than once :lol:
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

sts, custom boo string, string wax ....and my question for you is matts sundin gonna retire?
saxman

Post by saxman »

Congrats on the new bow.
Sounds like everything is covered.
Have fun
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy