The Why, When, Where, How of Mineral Licks for Deer

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DaGriz

The Why, When, Where, How of Mineral Licks for Deer

Post by DaGriz »

You sure you can skin griz, pilgrim??

Life is too short to carry an UGLY knife!
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

Thanks DaGriz for the info. We have used different salt types over the years. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule as to what works the best. The more information we get the better choice we can make for ourselves.
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
terry-1

lick

Post by terry-1 »

I have been building salt licks for about 20 years the best thing I have used to bring deer everytime is a plain old brown mineral 50lb block from the feed store. I take a shovel and put it half into the ground when starting a new lick. Usally within 2-3 months the deer have dug a hole into the ground around whats left of the block. I then toss new blocks in usally about 2 year to keep it super active. After several years you can get some serious 2- 3 Ft around holes going and all kinds of game shows up to get at the licks. I run trail cams on mine all summer I get pictures of coyotes,bobcats,deer, wild hogs,and about every type of small game visting. It takes alittle time and effort but once you get a good lick going it will stay active for years even if you forget to put new blocks out one year there is still alot in the soil.
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Great Information Thank You for shareing
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]