Parker Cyclone first thoughts

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

terry-1

Parker Cyclone first thoughts

Post by terry-1 »

Well, I received my new Cyclone and this evening I shot it for a couple of Hrs. This was not my first time to shoot a Cyclone I have been test firing a Demo Cyclone at my local Archery shop indoor range several times last 10 days or so since the shop got their first demo one in stock. Overall shooting today was pretty much just a repeat of my earlier experince with this model the only difference being I fired outdoors today and had a chance to try several different broadheads with the crossbow. First using parker brand carbon bolts and 125gr field tips I was shooting from 336 FPS low to 345 FPS high over 5 shots through my Chronoy and I can you thats real,real fast I can't see the bolt fly with my eyes. You could tell the cyclone was quiet indoors but outside it is the quietest crossbow I have fired myself the only noise was a ring from the metal finger that holds the bolt down. I put some cloth tape around that metal finger the noise went away and now it is as quiet as a high end compound bow fully rigged out. The Cyclone seems very well built Ar15 style stock is nice I was able to adjust it for a perfect fit. Camo is really nice also. As you can I have a older Excalibur Exocet also which I fired tonight and just see how the two compared. I like both crossbows each has it's own strong points. To me I think the Exocet handled better just felt lighter up front the cyclone seemed noise heavy compared to the Exocet and the cyclone was a bit heavier and longer feeling overall. Still the cyclone handles well overall and is less wide but the Exocet is just a perfect fit for me. The cyclone is faster and quieter than my Exocet no doubt about that both are 175lb models so draw weight is even. One thing I notice is the cyclone is more picky when it comes to broadheads this may be do to the very high speeds it is shooting. I had to go to 1" cut compact style 3 and 4 blade fixed heads to get good tight broadhead groups. I will stay with compact or expandable style heads with this crossbow in the future the big full size wasp and muzzys shot all over the place while the compact broadheads punched 2" groups at 25 yards very good accuracy overall. I still have alot more shooting to do but so far the cyclone looks like a winner I still can't beleive how quiet and fast the cyclone is.

wabi

Post by wabi »

What is the shortest length of pull the stock will adjust to?
I've been looking for a crossbow I can adjust the stock for my son to shoot, and it sounds like the cyclone might be a good bow to look at. :wink:
wabi
terry-1

length

Post by terry-1 »

Wabi I am not really sure about the LOP of the stock but it gets short enough for a kid and if it is not short enough I don't think there is another crossbow made any shorter do to the cyclone ar15 style adjustable stock. One thing I would be concerned about with a kid is the Cyclone does have alot of forward weight and being a average sized guy about 5"9" 175lb It's not a big deal to me, but for a small Kid they could have a harder time holding the crossbow off handed. Thats why I think the Exocet felt better handleing wise as it's weight seemed more balanced overall through the crossbow. I am going to look up the specs but I think the Cyclone must have a long power stroke the overall lenght is about the same as My Excoet but the cyclone is not real wide maybe 21 to 22 inches. The little short limbs move so very little when fired which is why I beleive is why the cyclone is so darn quiet.
Last edited by terry-1 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

terry-1. . .looks like you had the broadhead experience that I went through after getting my Exomax. The higher speeds throw those wider fixed blades around. The speed will throw those shorter blades around too if they aren't perfectly tuned or if they get ever so slightly bent. You will also find that your tracking jobs get harder with the shorter blades. There just isn't enough cutting surface. In my opinion, the only valid broadhead option for the high speed bows is a wide cut 3 blade mechanical.

That's a wicked looking bow.

Yeah . . .I can't follow the arrow coming out of my Exomax at top speeds either. It's like the arrow just appears in the target when I pull the trigger. Pretty cool, eh?

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

That's a wicked looikng bow. Glad that you like it. My local dealer has some in stock as well as Excals. Hortons and 10pnts. I think I may take a drive by and do a little comparison.
I've talked to a few folks lately that like the Parkers.

Good Luck with it.

crunch
terry-1

cbow

Post by terry-1 »

I have had Ten Point, Horton, Excalibur, Proline and now Parker brand crossbows. So Far Excalibur and the Parker I just bought are my favorites. I really like the tenpoint I had as far as how it shot but the model I had weight was over 10lbs with scope it was just to heavy to carry around for my taste. I have three Excaliburs right now which is why I bought the Parker just something different to try out. If you get a chance to shoot one of the cyclone's I think you will be surpised on just how quiet they are.