Boo

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Crunch

Boo

Post by Crunch »

Boo,

I just finished reading a post bt DH wondering about string options. If it's not too much trouble, would you be so kind as to outline the pros/cons of different strings.

Thanks, crunch
Boo

Post by Boo »

Boo strings are composed of 1/3 Vectran and 2/3 Dyneema. The string material exhibits low noise, shock and a minor amount better string speeds. The more strands the slower the speeds along with less noise and string creep. At 36 strands you loose about 1 or 2 ft/sec compared to the factory sring. A 44 strand string looses about 6 ft/sec and comes along with a bit of string creep but is quite low in shock and when cat whiskers are added you can easily follow your arrow in the scope. Try that with a factory string. So a nice compromise for noise, speed, shock and string creep is a 40 strand Boo string with whiskers. If you want pure speed then a 32 strand string give you slightly better or the same speeds as the factory string but with much less noise and hardly any creep and low shock.
My Fast Flight strings will give you virtually the same speeds as the factory string with noticeably less string creep.
Of course a benefit of any string with more strands is accuracy potential. A thicker string drives the arrow closer to the center of the arrow and theoretically will cause less archer's paradox or will cause the arrow to have less of an accentuated arrow flex on launch.
Cat Whiskers are served on the string with Fast Flight material and stay on unlike other string silencers and they do reduce noise and shock quite a lot. I have not heard from anyone that has lost whiskers other than enormous who had his fly off pretty much right away probably because I cut them on serving them on. I now stretch the hell out of them to check before sending them out to ensure it won't happen. Whiskers cost you 6 to 8 ft/sec.
I hope I've done what you've asked.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

Don,
I actually shot that 34 strand about 50+ times before one of the 4 whiskers started loosing strands one by one, but slowly. Remember, that was a early prototype, it may have been wound to tight, the way I see it.
All other whisker strings seem to be holding fine. I revolve them so that they wear evenly. It may be years before I need another. Maybe we should shoot more. LOL. It's just hard to beat the crap out of those.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Crunch

Post by Crunch »

Now we know. You've answered my questions . Appreciate it.

crunch
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Another consideration on the number of strands. The number of strands effects the thickness of the string. The thickness of the string coupled with the thickness of the serving material determines the thickness of the small area that your nock sits onto when the arrow is launched. If this combination(string+serving material) is too thin, then the area of the serving that actually launches the arrow will be sitting below the middle of the arrow. Ideally, the serving would sit in the middle of the arrow's nock when launched.

To see where your serving is hitting, take the nock end of a broken arrow and place it against your serving while your bow is at rest(not cocked). The more "out-of-center" your arrow is sitting in relation to your serving, the more inconsistant your groupings will become.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen