looking to buy safety body harness for treestand --

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob-s

looking to buy safety body harness for treestand --

Post by bob-s »

Any favorites out there.. just looking for a good cheap harness, not including a camo vest. Thought I saw some for under $30.00 on the net.
Any and all replies appreciated.

Thanks --- Bob. :)
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bob. . .I don't get into trees to hunt. However, if I did, then I wouldn't look into a "cheap" harness. Look more at the effectiveness and safety/security issues.

I have taken "flight" on some tree courses and zip lines. The harness is EVERYTHING. Look at comfort and safety first, price second.

Scott
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Rich

Post by Rich »

Personally, I wouldn't skimp on something that may save your life. I have the Hunter Safety System vest and it is very comfrotable and easy to wear.

Rich
Normous

Post by Normous »

Rich wrote:Personally, I wouldn't skimp on something that may save your life. I have the Hunter Safety System vest and it is very comfrotable and easy to wear.

Rich
+1
I like the Hunter Safety System as well. Very easy to put on in the dark and you don't even know its on. About $80.
Recommended!
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
TPM

Post by TPM »

Whatever you get I would make sure it has butt straps. These allow you to "sit" in the harness much like you would sit in a swing. This will prevent two things, one is blood pooling in your legs if you hang too long (this can be very serious!) and the other is to take some of the strain off your upper body which can seriously impair your breathing. Many of the cheaper harnesses will break your fall okay but they fail to account for the fact that you may be hanging there for hours until you're found.
The most important blood trail leads to the Cross...

Phoenix
HHA Optimizer
Hawke scope
Boo strings
Boo tuned trigger
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I may have an extra Gorilla harness around here, new in the box, I will look and let you know. I know I certainly don't have much money in to it, I bought a bunch when they were on sale, gave a bunch away, I will look later on today. I used mine a few times, comfortable and effective. I keep one in my hunting pack and another in my truck for work, ya never know. :D
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
sevenmmstalker

Post by sevenmmstalker »

I have a bunch of harnesses that came with my multiple tree stands and they are all in a bunch in a box. They are dificult to get into , fit poorly and are a pain. I got the hunter safety system, easy to wear , like a jacket, quick and easy and safe.
A harness is useful only if you wear them. You will wear the hunter safety system.
Hunters do it in the woods.
Exomax
bob-s

thanks for replies guys---

Post by bob-s »

Thanks for all the replies-- saving up for the Hunter Safety System after a second look.

You guys have a great forum with lots of info here. Certainly good for the sport. :)

Bob.
DanO

Post by DanO »

I always wear a harness but last fall on one particular day I decided I'd cut a corner and didn't bother. Man I was petrified I'd fall asleep in that stand. I do tend to dose off frequently in the dark before dawn. I didn't enjoy that morning what so ever, knowing that one snooze and I could be out of the stand end over end. I don't know how guys hunt without a harness.

I'll check out the Hunter Safety System. I have the ones that come with treestands and they are a pain to put on in the dark especially over heavy clothing.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

A friend of mine did just that Dan. Cost him a trip to the emergency room, thousands of dollars in medical bills and weeks off work.