Crop damage permit question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Rich

Crop damage permit question

Post by Rich »

I just got access to 35 crop damage permits and have a question regarding the meat. Several people have told me that deer are like rabbits and other small game and will have parasites/worms this time of the year. I didn't think this applied to deer and planned on consuming the meat. Can someone set me straight, crop damge permits or not, I can't see letting them lay to rot.

Rich
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

tick toters are good to eat at anytime of the year
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
ecoaster

Post by ecoaster »

I think they can have parasites this time of year, but don't quote me on it.

Here's a link I found. It may help answer some questions.

http://instruction.cvhs.okstate.edu/koc ... eerpar.htm
I hunt for memories, the meat's a bonus!
frisky

Post by frisky »

Hey Rich....Need any help filling them?
2007 Phoenix
Custom Wood Stock
Gold Tip II 311 Grain
Meat Seeker, 3 blade, Mechanical 100 Grain
Boo Astroflight String
Varizone Sighting
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I grew up in the lowcountry of SC where hunting season opens August 15th every year. We've killed deer when the temps were above 100f and as long as you took care of them quickly, there wasn't a problem. If I'm not mistaken, here in NC you have to leave the deer where it falls and I "thought" that crazyfarmer has posted the same for Va at one time :? Knock em down :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
Rich

Post by Rich »

Ray,

The game warden was asked that very question and we can take the meat. I'm getting the grinder and sausage stuffer ready now. I also broke out the Exocet and put it back together, 3 shots and it's driving tacks again. Hope to get out next week.

Rich
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

we kill tick infested deer here all the time. these pics were taken during archery season last year. notice the wad of ticks around the eyes
besides, shake them off the skin and place them in an old iron skillet, salt and butter them like punkn' seeds and fry till chrispy! yum! yum!

jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Take it from yet another hot-weather southern bowhunter ... not a problem.

That much closer to cooking temperature! :D :wink:
Grizz
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

There I go thinking that I remembered something that someone else might have said about something that I know nothing about except that I thought that I heard someone say what I thought that they said but I was wrong :shock: . Sounds like you'll be getting a good head start on us but it's a little to hot for me :wink: . Good luck and enjoy the fresh meat. I still have a few pounds of sausage left but it won't be long before we're at it again. Good luck!!!!
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

It is a shame to just let them rot :( If i knew the animal was just killed i would have no problem eating it :)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

raydaughety wrote:There I go thinking that I remembered something that someone else might have said about something that I know nothing about except that I thought that I heard someone say what I thought that they said but I was wrong :shock: .
Now there's a mouthful! :lol:
Grizz
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

Just pretend you have the finest organic raised meat. I there is a much higher chance of organic raised meats to have parasites and such other things than regular meats. The regular feeds are sometimes medicated to prevent parasites and such. I don't think I would have a problem taking that meat especially if it was put into suasages and cure meats. Just have a closer look before packaging. Happy feasting. :lol:
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
Vladymere

Eating Ticks?

Post by Vladymere »

flbuckmaster wrote "besides, shake them off the skin and place them in an old iron skillet, salt and butter them like punkn' seeds and fry till chrispy! yum! yum!"

You're saying fry up the ticks and eat them? I'll bet their crunchy. Not sure I'm up for trying that.

Vlad
Country

Post by Country »

I always look at the inerds of what I kill. I stopped killing warm weather rabbits and early squirels because of parasites. You should always check the livers on anything for liver flukes, etc.. I suppose most parasites are killed by adaquate cooking and being in the freezer. I've never heard of anyone getting sick from eating parasitic meat but there is always one somewhere. I like my deer steaks rare so if anyone is going to come down with something it would probably be me.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

all those parasites don't harm or taint the meat in any way. they either draw blood or body fluids from their host. Bears need their meat fully cooked to stop their particular parasite. its diseases that you need to be careful with. once thourghly cooked or smoked or brined the meat is safe to consume.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315