Headlamps and Spotlight

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

trky chsr

Headlamps and Spotlight

Post by trky chsr »

I'm looking for a good quality headlamp. I have the 5 LED clip on one and it's alright but last year I had a situation where I tried to haul a deer out at night in an unfamiliar area and the clip light just didn't cut it. So I need one that will light up the woods a bit. I know there are lots out there but I also know there is a lot of experience here so I am looking for your recommendations.

Same with spot lights. I've tried a few of the $10.00 specials and they work.. for a year or so but I would like one with a little more longevity. I use them to aid in tracking and they work well I would just like a good quality one.

TC
mikej

Post by mikej »

i use a 2 000 000 candle power sunforce spot light from canadian tire i think for around 25$. i have 2 of them they are both going into thier 5th season and have never had a problem with either one of them they are used for hunting, fishing camping and i have never had to do anything other then recharge them. as far as headlamps i use a browning cap light 6 led 2 settings one running 2 leds the other with all 6 ( not sure why ) but it seems to work good. the thing i like about this particular model is you can aim it anywhere its not just where your head is pointing its completely adjustable.
ehntr

Post by ehntr »

The more leds the better)...........adjustable brightness is a good feature. Combination halogen/leds (halogen for long range beam)....caution when using the halogen....batteries will run out quickly (it's happened to me) as compared to the leds. Up/down beam focus is another good feature. Petzl and Princeton make some really good top end headlamps (and some cheaper ones). There are so make makers/models. I've got a few sets.................I use them while running mountain trails at night and hunting situations too. Always have a set with me hunting into the evening. Mountain Equipment Coop www.mec.ca
E/M/MOBUI330 (Finn-esse)
E/M/N335 (Finn-bad)
Click "User Control Panel", "Profile", Location: (you don't have to tell everyone you're "in a van down by the river") but for Pete's sake, what state/prov or country are you in?
wabi

Post by wabi »

For a headlight I use a Petzl brand I bought several years ago. It's a 4 LED, uses 3 AAA batteries, has 4 lighting modes (bright - medium - dim - blink), weighs about 2.5 oz with batteries, and is very comfortable & secure when worn. (Petzl Zipka Plus model.)
http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=464
No LED light I've found is going to be really bright, but this one supplies plenty of light to walk and perform close-up work functions like tying on a new fish hook at night, or repairing a water line in a dark crawlspace (yes - I use it for fishing and even for some work related tasks). Matter of fact, my 8 year old son asked me to get him one while were were fishing last night. I told him he has a clip-on visor light for a cap, and he told me he doesn't always want to wear a cap, and he could put one like mine in his fishing vest pocket like I do. :lol: Not a cheap item, but quality has a price. :wink:

As for a spotlight, I'm stil looking, too. :roll: Most rechargables I've found go for maximum candlepower, which = a short burn time and short battery life. I think a good d-cell (3 to 5 cell) flashlight (like cops & emergency responders often use) may be a better option.
wabi
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Petzl makes a great unit, but you would be better off getting one with a luxeon star or cree LED opposed to multiple single 5mm LED's. Far brighter and far more efficient when it comes to battery life.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
BillBeckOKC

Post by BillBeckOKC »

No LED light I've found is going to be really bright,
You need to check out the new LED's from SureFire
They will light up a football field !!!!

http://www.surefire.com
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Here is a some reading for you on what's new these days.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/for ... ay.php?f=6
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

If I recall correctly, Pydpiper, you're the man when it comes to lights!

Commentary on the site you offered has mentioned Strenlight S7 and Scurion P7 as the pick of the litter for headlamps. Have you tried either one yet?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
BillBeckOKC

Post by BillBeckOKC »

Of the current offerings, which one is the Brightest LED Headlamp out there ????
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I am not much of a headlamp guy, but I do own a few. The technology is the same with handheld lights as it is with headlamps.
The two mentioned above are pretty spectacular, and likely overkill, if you believe in overkill. :D
The LED's being used today are changing pretty fast and are fairly hard to keep up with, but in the past couple of years there have been some huge leaps in the brightness and efficiency of the lights being offered.
The 5mm LED's you are used to seeing are quickly becoming obsolete, they were squashed by Luxeon stars, they were the first to make a high powered, regulated LED. Then came Cree, Rebel and some others.
Brightness comes in two flavors, long range "throw" and short range "flood", getting both in the same package is difficult, a diffuser can be used but they suck up a lot of light.
I would make sure I picked one that didn't use 5mm LED's, had the ability to use lithium batteries, variable output and a diffuser.
Like this one:
http://en.petzl.com/petzl/LampesProduits?Produit=554

Just like anything else it depends on what you intend to use it for, so many options out there right now..

I prefer a small high powered light that can attach to my hat if I need my hands free, I always have a Surefire of some form with me, lately it has been an E1L, 1 battery with tons of long range use, and a diffuser for close up work. Bright lights in the woods can backfire, once you turn them off you are blind. :D
WMU 91
Boo string
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

I just spent the weekend portaging and fishing in one of our provicial parks. Its a yearly thing. From 8-12 guys, from 20-60 years old. All lightweight equipment and everybody has a Petzl.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I have one and my buddies all love it..it out does there lights by far..it will be the last hunting light you buy the brightness is awsome but can be toned down very well..I use rechargable AA and its wonderful..

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_inf ... cts_id=195
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Mmm, Fenix..
The L2D is a great light. Any of the Fenix line is a good choice. If you email the owner of that store and tell him what you are after he will guide you right. His name is David Chow and is a friend of mine.
Fenix is quickly catching up in the quality of some pretty high end lights, and what sets them apart is that they listen to their customers needs and will produce what people want and need. When I bought my first Fenix from David there were only two options, now there is a light to fit anybodies needs. Also, since I wasn't the one to bring him in to this thread, his shipping is free all the time, anywhere.
WMU 91
Boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Fenix doesn't make a headlamp, do they?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Hi5 wrote:Fenix doesn't make a headlamp, do they?
I don't think so, at least not yet.
Most of their lights share the same style clip as Surefire, they fit quick and easy on to a ball hat for hands free use.
WMU 91
Boo string