Rope Cocker

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bmet

Rope Cocker

Post by bmet »

Just another nube question:
I know a rope cocker has a 50% let off on power required to cock a crossbow. At what point in the draw do you start to feel the max pull of the bow string? I picked up two 50# weights to get an idea of what to expect but I suspect it will be different with the rope cocker. I am still trying to decide which xbow I want/need and am leaning toward the exocet 200 as opposed to the exomax as I am 56 and not as young as I used to be and would like to be able to use it for years to come.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Much of it has to do with your height. At 5'3" I can cock the 200 lb bows but just and that is by shortening the rope. Your arms should do less of the work than you think.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
liaf

Re: Rope Cocker

Post by liaf »

bmet wrote: I am still trying to decide which xbow I want/need and am leaning toward the exocet 200 as opposed to the exomax as I am 56 and not as young as I used to be and would like to be able to use it for years to come.
Since you say you would like to use it for years to come then I would go with the exocet. I bought a phoenix as I am 51 a 1st time x-bower and said I am getting older what do I need so I decided on the phoenix. There are times when I think I should have bought the exocet and then there are times after shooting all afternoon that I am glad that I bought the phoenix. The exomax never even entered my mind.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i am 58 and i had the exocet 200 til late summer last year. i ended up trading it to a friend for his phoenix. thought i had torn rotator cuff. went had xrays. have bad arther in left shoulder and right elbow. i hunt with my vixen
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

The big problem I see with shooters using rope aids isn't the weight of the bow involved ... it's their really lousy cocking technique. Most people needlessly endanger their back, arms and shoulders when cocking their crossbows.

What a lot of people don't seem to realize is that with proper technique the act of cocking a crossbow with a rope aid is executed much like a weightlifitng squat. Boo is right. It isn't about the strength of your arms; it's about the strength of your lower body, which accomplishes 90% of the move. Those who understand strength training will quickly grasp what I mean.

I couldn't say about you, but I know from what I've seen that I could spend two minutes with a lot of guys and have them cocking bows 50% heavier than what they were formerly struggling with. It's as much about address, form and execution as it is raw physical strength (though that helps too).

To begin, make sure your aid is properly adjusted to your height ... mine came in the Right Stuff package, and it was far too long. At the least, a couple of inches of draw can be taken up just in affixing the aid to the string ... which is also an advantage in drawing more weight.

When using the rope aid, keep your back straight, your abs contracted, your arms extended and your knees bent. Use your quads and butt to accomplish the bulk of the cocking effort, and finish it with a shrug. It's that easy. Simple, safe, and good for you.

While there's no reason to use more bow than you're comfortable with, there are certain advantages found in using heavy bows. I have long suggested that it's wise to use as much bow for hunting as you can efficiently handle. If you'll learn to use a rope aid with the right technique, you'll be surprised just how much that can be. Remember that once a crossbow is cocked, you're not holding anything. It's a different ballgame than shooting a vert bow, in which one must be very careful not to "overbow" in choosing a weapon. With crossbows, the ability to efficiently cock is the determining factor.

Remember too that the best response to the challenge of aging isn't to reduce your effort as much as you can, but rather to learn how to maintain vigor and strength far beyond what's thought to be "normal" ... proper technique and exercise is more effective than many know.

I'd suggest selecting a bow that is a moderate challenge for you to cock with good technique; maintain that form and you'll find that soon it will be no challenge at all. Unless some injury or disease prevents you from increasing your strength, I think you'll surprise yourself.

I once saw my grandad do 15 perfectly executed one-armed chinups on his 71st birthday!

Good luck! :D :D
Grizz
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

I'm not even going to try to do one handed pushups like Grizz' Grand Dad.

However, I'm just about 64 and a desk jockey, and not all that vigorous when it comes to exercising.

I own an Exomax and I can cock it without using a rope or crankeroo. It's all a matter of technique. You use your leg muscles as much as possible and your arm and back muscles as little as possible. In a pinch, I've even done it in a tree stand (NOT recommended, but do-able.) I own both a crankeroo and a rope cocker. I use them, except in a pinch, when manual cocking is the only option.

If you truly do lack the strength, get a crankeroo. It's slower and a bit more clumsy to use. However, you will get the most consistent results in cocking. Both limbs will always be loaded to the same, consistent, tension. It is the best tool for cocking when you are in a tree stand because you can operate it while seated. Also, if you fire and miss and your target doesn't flee, you might be able to reload using a crankeroo. The movements involved are smaller than when using a rope cocker. (You will have to disengage the ratchet, though, or it will click. Been there. Done that!)
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
bmet

Post by bmet »

Do not want a crankaroo, too noisy. I was just curious about the point where the weight comes into play. I don't have problems with strength right now and after getting some feedback there seems to be a by-product of owning a crossbow by getting more exercise, one more point I can bring up with the wife on why I need a new tool. I used to lift weights some time ago so I get the idea on what is required to use the rope cocker. I think I will go see if I can find a shop that will let me cock one and shoot it before I make my final decision.
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

The crankeroo CAN be noisy. It is slow, too.

The noise, however, can be eliminated by merely depressing the spring loaded catch that is engaging each cog as the winding takes place. I had shot at game from my tree stand and I had gut shot it, and it lay down near my stand. I was lucky to be able to finish off the animal with a second shot.

There is no way of knowing for certain whether I could have recocked manually or with a rope cocker without scaring off the animal. I very much doubt it. The only "click" was when it cocked, and the movements to wind the crank were small.

What I described may be a rare occurance. However, my crankeroo is with me in my tree stand. Otherwise, I use the rope cocker.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
the elf

rope cocker

Post by the elf »

Use the crankeroo---to stop the clicking use your other hand{or part of} to LIGHTLY touch the top of the ratchet mechanism---the only noise you should hear is when the string latches in the fully cocked position. Believe me it works.-------However Grizz's method works perfectly--for those people who have no muscle or joint problems.---------Lon.
kyteach

Post by kyteach »

I'm 60 and shoot an Exomax. I do use the rope and a Crank-a-roo. My advise is to buy the Excal bow you really want and then add a acudraw.
I am going to buy an acudraw for mine. The main thing is to be happy with the bow you buy. You can't beat any Excalibur! I can group bolts within one inch at 50 yards with my Exomax. Be sure to buy a Boo string, Groundpounder mount and STS. They make shooting a pleasure.
Exomax
Groundpounder mount
Boo Custom String