Plans for a pipe deer feeder ???

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

the elf

Plans for a pipe deer feeder ???

Post by the elf »

Hi guys--Where can I find plans for a pipe feeder for corn for deer? I had a computer crash and that was among some of the stuff I lost. Thanks.
the elf

pipe feeder

Post by the elf »

Thanks BOB----Lon.
wabi

Post by wabi »

I simplified the design even further (sorry, no pic in my files).
I just cut a piece of 6" PVC pipe and added a cap to keep the water out, but to remove for filling the feeder. Wired it to a tree with the bottom about 3" off the ground, and it works fine!
BTW - 6' of 6" pipe holds about 40# of corn, if I let it get empty a 50# bag dumped in just over-fills it with what spreads out on the ground. My next one will be 6' - 6" :wink:
wabi
BigTiny

Post by BigTiny »

I use flexible plastic drain pipe. I bend one end into a j and use fence wire to hold it in place. From there I just suspend the pipe from a rope on the j end and let the other end drag the ground. Corn spills out on the ground in the beginning, then the animals have to kick the end around to dispense more feed. Only problem is squirrels eating thru the top. It is really easy to carry in to places you can't take a vehicle.
Brother Model 80
Automatic Needle Threader
Overcasting Foot with Side Cutter
80 Stitches
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

I made my feeders with 4" white plastic[?] sewer pipe that I got at T.S.C. I also use a Y fitting at the bottom . I cut a 1 1/4" collar off the bottom of the Y to make a cap. Both top and bottom ends of the collar I fitted with a round piece of 1/2lywood. Both pieces were put in with silicone and also a couple of screws to hold it in place. I filed some off the top of the tube to make it easier to come off for filling. You can wire or bungine cord it to the tree but I like the plumbers strapping with the 1/4" holes about every inch. I made one up and tried it on the goats. They didn't take long to get right in there and eat. Very little is wasted. :lol:
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
codsterboy

deer feeder

Post by codsterboy »

I seen a great idea down in West Virginia where a guy took thin cable and tightened it between 2 trees a couple feet apart, a couple feet off the ground and had a 5 gallon bucket with the cable thru the handle. He cut or drilled holes around the bottom of the bucket and filled it with corn and put the lid on. It kept the squirrels,coons.possum,turkey, and other animals from stealing all the corn. The deer would come to the bucket and hit it with their head and knock the corn onto the ground out of the holes to eat.
awshucks

Re: deer feeder

Post by awshucks »

codsterboy wrote:I seen a great idea down in West Virginia where a guy took thin cable and tightened it between 2 trees a couple feet apart, a couple feet off the ground and had a 5 gallon bucket with the cable thru the handle. He cut or drilled holes around the bottom of the bucket and filled it with corn and put the lid on. It kept the squirrels,coons.possum,turkey, and other animals from stealing all the corn. The deer would come to the bucket and hit it with their head and knock the corn onto the ground out of the holes to eat.
Was just going to bring that up when I read your post. This was explained on here a year or three back, you drill one size hole in bottom of bucket, then hang a wood dowel thru hole w/ a dab of peanut butter on end and as they nudge the dowel, corn drops. no rain outs, no coons, ect. Looked like a winner to me, but, alas never followed up on it.
"Eze 18:21"
Woody Williams

Re: deer feeder

Post by Woody Williams »

awshucks wrote:
codsterboy wrote:I seen a great idea down in West Virginia where a guy took thin cable and tightened it between 2 trees a couple feet apart, a couple feet off the ground and had a 5 gallon bucket with the cable thru the handle. He cut or drilled holes around the bottom of the bucket and filled it with corn and put the lid on. It kept the squirrels,coons.possum,turkey, and other animals from stealing all the corn. The deer would come to the bucket and hit it with their head and knock the corn onto the ground out of the holes to eat.
Was just going to bring that up when I read your post. This was explained on here a year or three back, you drill one size hole in bottom of bucket, then hang a wood dowel thru hole w/ a dab of peanut butter on end and as they nudge the dowel, corn drops. no rain outs, no coons, ect. Looked like a winner to me, but, alas never followed up on it.

http://www.whitetaildeer-management-and ... eeder.html
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]