Thunderhead broadheads

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

muzzler

Thunderhead broadheads

Post by muzzler »

I was thinking of using the 100 gr. or 125 gr. for hunting. Anybody have a good experience with them or a bad experience?? I am shooting an Exomag and carbon arrows.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Bad, missed two bucks when TH tipped arrows zigged when they should have zagged. . The full sized TH tend to make my 20" arrows plane. Much prefer a short, 4 bladed BH like Slick Tricks, etc.
maximus

Post by maximus »

Have to agree with cossack! Anything beyond 20yds,and it's a crap shoot at how the bolt will fly.
Boo

Post by Boo »

As Cossack said they are too long for a crossbow. You should try to shy away from broadheads that secure with an o ring between the base and the arrow as well as the ones where the blades are supported by the arrow. They are not all bad but It's better to have a solid straight broadhead assembly screwed onto a square arrow face.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Rich

Post by Rich »

All I ever used out of my vert bow was TH's, once I switched to the Exocet I had to switch to low profile blades (WASP, Muzzy). The Thunderheads would not group and planed all over the place. It was a shame since I loved the TH's.

Rich
Normous

Post by Normous »

My experimentation with TH 125 didn't go too well. Lucky for me one was on loan and I didn't have to buy a pack to try.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
KLS

Post by KLS »

I use 85gr thuderheads in my alumin 2213 crossbow arrows and get "same hole" accuracy, but those arrows also have 18% FOC... I tried 125gr thunderheads and got pretty much the same results as everyone else, I did do some tinkering with weight transfer and FOC and did get them to fly pretty respectable, but only under ideal conditions, throw in any sort of wind and they'd plane just as bad as they did to begin with...

I'd advise against them in a short crossbow arrow, theres definitely better out there...
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

with my compound and crossbow the th,s would always hit at 20 yds 4" low and to the left so I gave them to a friend who had good luck them.
M&M

Post by M&M »

I used to shoot them out of my old horton hunter about a 1991 model and they shot ok and were deadly on deer but when I got my exocet I tried them and had no success as far as grouping very well so I think that they are probably better in bows a bit slower shooting. M&M