Ohio, Ill, Iowa, and Kansas outfitters?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

crazyfarmer

Ohio, Ill, Iowa, and Kansas outfitters?

Post by crazyfarmer »

i know a few of ya'll here are from those states. My borther in law is looking at booking a hunting trip to one of those states for archery or firearms season next year. Does anyone have any good reccomendations for him to look into? Me personally cant afford 3-4k for a decent 4-5day hunt :oops: and run the risk of not taking anything. I'm much better off staying here and hunting the deer I know :twisted:
mikew

Re: Ohio, Ill, Iowa, and Kansas outfitters?

Post by mikew »

crazyfarmer wrote:i know a few of ya'll here are from those states. My borther in law is looking at booking a hunting trip to one of those states for archery or firearms season next year. Does anyone have any good reccomendations for him to look into? Me personally cant afford 3-4k for a decent 4-5day hunt :oops: and run the risk of not taking anything. I'm much better off staying here and hunting the deer I know :twisted:
For me, nevermind the hunt...it'd be "run the risk of not having the key work in the lock when I get home!" :shock:

:lol:
-Mike
crazyfarmer

Re: Ohio, Ill, Iowa, and Kansas outfitters?

Post by crazyfarmer »

mikew wrote:
crazyfarmer wrote:i know a few of ya'll here are from those states. My borther in law is looking at booking a hunting trip to one of those states for archery or firearms season next year. Does anyone have any good reccomendations for him to look into? Me personally cant afford 3-4k for a decent 4-5day hunt :oops: and run the risk of not taking anything. I'm much better off staying here and hunting the deer I know :twisted:
For me, nevermind the hunt...it'd be "run the risk of not having the key work in the lock when I get home!" :shock:

:lol:
-Mike
LMAO... same here.. 3k spent on a hunt wouldnt go well with the wife :D
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

My trip to Il was awesome, we saw a lot of deer but nothing that I wanted to kill. It was a great experience and I intend to take Tyler when he gets a little older. We were right next to Samson's Ridge (high fence operation). We saw a group at a sporting goods place with pictures of a 180 class buck that was taken from the preserve that morning. The guy that killed him told Uncle Ellis that it was the best 10k he had ever spent and was going back for a management buck the next week :shock: . That dude has way to much $$$$$$$.
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

raydaughety wrote:My trip to Il was awesome, we saw a lot of deer but nothing that I wanted to kill. It was a great experience and I intend to take Tyler when he gets a little older. We were right next to Samson's Ridge (high fence operation). We saw a group at a sporting goods place with pictures of a 180 class buck that was taken from the preserve that morning. The guy that killed him told Uncle Ellis that it was the best 10k he had ever spent and was going back for a management buck the next week :shock: . That dude has way to much $$$$$$$.
yeah, for 10k ill glady spend my time sitting in the house watching TV instead of that. Its a place in PA run that way.. 8k gets you a decent put and 10-12k gets you a megagaint
mikew

Post by mikew »

crazyfarmer wrote:yeah, for 10k ill glady spend my time sitting in the house watching TV instead of that. Its a place in PA run that way.. 8k gets you a decent put and 10-12k gets you a megagaint
Roger that! But, to each his own. By any chance, is that "place in PA" up in Tioga? If so, I've heard of it, but not been there.

My car isn't even worth 10k. Heck, it might be worth up to ~4k.
Oooooohhh! I got it, I can sell the car, go on a "regular" guided hunt & walk the 42 miles to work :lol:
-Mike

PS Certainly, I don't mean to offend anyone - I'd love to do a guided hunt some day & kudos if you're in a position to do it. I definitely want to hear about it & live vicariously through you.
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

I'v seen the site that your talking about Mike. You can actually go on their website and pick out the deer that you want to harvest. Yep, they'll round him up, put him in an enclosure, drug him up and you just show up and slaighter him. Sick, sick, sick. I'd quit hunting first. The hunt that I went on was expensive and while I didn't harvest anything, I had the time of my life. I met folks that I still stay in touch with today. It was the whole experience of seeing bucks that just live in my area the most beautiful hunting land that I'd ever seen. I do intend on going again but this time it will be with an outfitter in MO that has a little better sucess ratio :wink: .
CF, what is so hard to understand is you live about 250 miles from me and seeing a buck the size that you have up there are rare around here. I don't know if it's the dog hunting or what, I mean we have a lot of corn and soy beans every year but the big boys are rare :? .
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Ray, Va is becoming a hot spot it seems due to QDMA I believe. Even being a huge dog hunting state here, 80% of the clubs now are QDMA members so deer are seeing the 3.5-7 year range now more. If a buck makes it to 4 years of age here he's a dandy, but about one out of 20 bucks here might be a 4 year old. We have big ones, but the chances and odds are still in favor of the midwest for the true gaints. Probably because most of those states have good management and mainly only bowhunt.

I personally would like to go hunt anothere state for the experience, but it would have to be a early hunt or late hunt before or after season ends here. Ive got a few im chasing that most would love to see :lol: :D
mikew

Post by mikew »

crazyfarmer wrote:<snip> We have big ones, but the chances and odds are still in favor of the midwest for the true gaints. Probably because most of those states have good management and mainly only bowhunt.
One of the dads in my Cub Scout Pack goes to the midwest to bowhunt nearly every other deer, er, YEAR. He's told me that he doesn't even hunt in PA any more... Too many hunters, too few deer & they are very much more skittish here. He has had nothing but great experiences out there whether or not he harvested deer. Some hunts have been guided & some have been unguided.

As I said, I'd like to do it someday.

I think there's a forum on ArcheryTalk for trading hunts, BTW.
-Mike
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

I hunted on Hunt Club Services properties last year and will again this year.

I live about 45 miles from the Illinois border so I can drive over for a days hunt or two. Since gas is so high this year I’ll be doing a little camping on the property. This is not an “outfitter” in that you stay in a lodge, eat their food and they stick you in a treestand. Basically you are paying to scout, hang stands and hunt the ground. You have to take care of the lodging and food for yourself.

$1100 instead of several thousand $$ works for me.

http://www.huntclubservices.net/index.p ... tion=forum

This is a portion of the property I’ll hunt this year. I’ll also be in on 547 acres just south of there. When we hunted the 547 acres we saw some pretty nice bucks and a couple piebald does. Hopefully they will still be around this year.

http://www.huntclubservices.net/index.php?topic=77.0

BTW – If you are 62 and over you can hunt with a crossbow in Illinois.
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]
hetichunter

Post by hetichunter »

Woody Williams wrote: BTW – If you are 62 and over you can hunt with a crossbow in Illinois.
Only forty years to go! Do you think Excalibur's will be around in 2048?
If it isn't hectic, it isn't hunting!
Woody Williams

Post by Woody Williams »

hetichunter wrote:
Woody Williams wrote: BTW – If you are 62 and over you can hunt with a crossbow in Illinois.
Only forty years to go! Do you think Excalibur's will be around in 2048?
They will, but I wont. ;)
Woody Williams

We have met the enemy and he is us - Pogo Possum

Hunting in Indiana at [size=84][color=Red][b][url=http://huntingindiana.proboards52.com]HUNT-INDIANA[/url][/b][/color][/size]