Lesson # 2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Wayne B

Lesson # 2

Post by Wayne B »

I was shooting the crossbow today, left part of my hand up in the danger zone. Needless to say it was a mad scramble for ice and water. Really bruised the back of my thumb bad. Felt like my whole hand was on fire. After licking my wounds for awhile, and putting some adjustments on the Vari-zone I put the last five arrows into each of the five bullseyes on my target. I'm starting to get pumped up about the coming season.
Big John

x

Post by Big John »

Wow!! That lesson number#2 seem's to be a hard one for you :!: I hope the next lesson's go easier on you! :wink: :)
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Normous

Post by Normous »

The old "String Dance"
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Leaving your thumb up in the owwwee zone can do some serious damage . A friend of mines father did serious damage to his thumb .
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

im still wondering how you guys do that. The grips so big on mine it cant get my fingers up above the rail. I guess thats a good thing so I dont have the issue you did. I had a buddie that shaved part of his finger off on a parker bow I believe since the foreend design is low.

on a bright said, you can say you have been knighted my excalibur :lol: :D
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Crazy
One of the 'best' ways to get it done is to rest the forearm of the bow on the deck railing, while shooting for groups, then placing your hand alongside of it with the thumb facing up. Same thing can be done when practicing from a ladder stand that has a retainer/rest in front.
PS the latter was a long way from the much needed ice.

Wayne
Smart of you to 'get back on the bronc' right away. I developed a rather nasty flinch from my slaps and had to consciously focus on not jerking the trigger.
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

Cossack, Yep that's how it happened. Had the front resting on a block of styrofoam and placed my hand alongside the rail. Hopefully that'll be the first and last time.
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Dirty job! Someone has to do it, I'll volunteer. What was #1?? Btw: did same, got by light also, glad you are ok!
"Eze 18:21"
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

[quote="crazyfarmer"]im still wondering how you guys do that. The grips so big on mine it cant get my fingers up above the rail. I guess thats a good thing so I dont have the issue you did.

I'm with you on the equinox. I'd have to intentionally put my digits up there to be hit. Thank god, or I would have done it by now!
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

BTW, shooting a Phoenix, Vortex, Equinox and Cyclone I have managed to keep my mitts off the rail. However, the 150 lb Terminator, before they made the forearm much lager, did the trick...both times.
But you can be sure that my routine now includes: take off the safety, check for hand placement, check for bow cant,engage target, hold sight picture, B/C, squeeeze.
saxman

Post by saxman »

Well,You probably wont do that again
I did it ONCE.
Glad your alright
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Vladymere

Owwww!

Post by Vladymere »

I did that last season when I shot my piebald buck. Bruised my thimb big time adn ended up with a large blood blister. Thought I might lose the nail but didn't.

What was worse though is the energy robbed from the shot and the shot deflection from the string hitting my thumb made my arrow go awry. Instead of the pass though shot i expectd the buck ran off with the arrow sticking out of it's left side.

I prayed to God that the wound would be a fatal wound and to let the deer die quickly. I prayed to God to help me follow the blood trail and not lose the deer.

God answered my prayers. The arrow skidded along the ribs and embedded on the deers "armpit" severing a blood vessel. The deer had gone about 80 yards and bled out.

Thank you God but owww, that hurt.

Vlad
Wayne B

Post by Wayne B »

Awshucks, Lesson # 1.. How do you spell DRYFIRE ?
wabi

Post by wabi »

One of the BIG reasons I switched to Excalibur! Much harder to whack a finger with the Excalibur.
The old Horton I had years ago made it east to get your fingers in the path of the string.
6 stitches and two broken bones in my finger made it easy to get rid of the Horton!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
wabi
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

Hi guys!
FYI the most common story I get when someone whacks a thumb real good is that they were shooting from a rest and for some reason put their thumb on the top of the deck! Be careful and remember that the most dangerous time when you are most likely to really give your thumb a beating is when you shoot off of a bench rest!