New Crossbow Finally

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ashlyngr

New Crossbow Finally

Post by ashlyngr »

Well, I finally bought a Crossbow. One I saw the Relayer Y25 (345/1000), I ordered one. I've been looking at Excalibur crossbows for two years.
I outfitted my Relayer with the LumiZone Right Stuff package.
Even though I've browsed the forum, I'm curious which is the preferred Bolt for Whitetail, the Carbon or the Aluminum?

Thanks,
Bruce
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D First of all welcome to the forum . :D
As for which is best aluminum or carbon it is a personal choice .I personally like aluminum because it has not failed me .(if it ain`t broke why fix it )
wabi

Re: New Crossbow Finally

Post by wabi »

ashlyngr wrote:Well, I finally bought a Crossbow. One I saw the Relayer Y25 (345/1000), I ordered one. I've been looking at Excalibur crossbows for two years.
I outfitted my Relayer with the LumiZone Right Stuff package.
Even though I've browsed the forum, I'm curious which is the preferred Bolt for Whitetail, the Carbon or the Aluminum?

Thanks,
Bruce
Welcome!!!!!
Yes, the preferred arrow for whitetail is aluminum or carbon. :wink: :lol:
Actually, either should be fine as far as accuracy. It's a personal decision you'll have to make. I've used both and did have a carbon break when I shot a deer. Not sure if it broke going through the deer or when it hit the ground after it passed through. I didn't try to save any meat close to the wound channel just to be safe. I now shoot aluminum shafts again.
Last edited by wabi on Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

yes & yes. i shoot both and 3 sizes of alum. when my 2213 are used up for whatever reason. i will just use 2216 & 2219 plus my carbons. the very min weight is what i am getting away from.
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum :D
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
MNDeerHunter

Post by MNDeerHunter »

Welcome to the forum :lol:

I am still in my first year of my Vortex crossbow and have stayed with the carbon firebolts that came with the right stuff package other than refleching them with brighter vanes and adding Luninock. I was a carbon man with my bow and never had any issues so I have stuck with the carbons - but that is my view. Onlt advise I would add is to get yourself a scale to weigh your bolts so you know what your shooting for weights and shoot what works best for you. :D
Life goes by quick - so don't think about going hunting - get out there and DO IT!
Vortex
Lumizone
Customized Firebolts
Boo String
STS
ashlyngr

Post by ashlyngr »

Tuned my crossbow today with my Firebolts and target points. I couldn't believe how spot on this crossbow was after assembly.
However, I did lose a Firebolt after it passed right through a worn target. I hope to get a chance to search the archery range during the next week to find it. I will need to buy and maintain my own targets for this reason.
It sounds prudent to me to use aluminum bolts with my broad heads for hunting. I did read the warnings about the carbon fibers contaminating the meat.
I'll keep posting my progress.

Thank You,
Bruce
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the new bow.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I only use carbon since years of hunting with alum and bent arrows didnt go well for me. Carbon will break before bending;)

as for the fibers hurting the meat, I dunno.. you have a chance of metal chips getting into the meat from the others also. I personally dont use any meat close to the shot hole anyway. If its a well placed shot, then its no meat there to use anyway;)
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"I did read the warnings about the carbon fibers contaminating the meat."

Don't know about yours but mine aren't in the deer long enough to do anything but kill it. Complete passthrough, in and out.
TB

Post by TB »

I had a carbon arrow splinter last year. As I was cleaning around the wound I had one of the very fine fibers penetrate my finger. It was as fine as a hair but stiff and was hard to remove. I found it was almost like a porpine quill in how it sliced into the finger. It slid in, like into butter. One would be in very very great distress and Trouble if that was eaten and lodged in the throat or stomach. Surgery would be a definate, then would they be able to find it? It DOESN'T show in an X-ray. Carbons are great arrows but be very careful it it breaks or splinters. At least aluminum just bends or breaks. Just my two cents.

TB