Does crossbow hit harder to the target than a compound?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cbruce

Does crossbow hit harder to the target than a compound?

Post by cbruce »

I live in Arlington VA. I can't find a archery range to practise shooting my cb. Many archery ranges here in virginia don't allow crossbow shooting in their ranges. They said it will damage their targets. But I am quite confused with this statement, because: 1. many compounds shoot 310-320 fps, but my phoenix shoots about 280 fps 2. the weight of crossbow bolt is lighter than bow arrows.

The only thing I can think of is since the bolt is lighter and shorter, it has less resistence of air, therefore the speed when it hit the target maybe faster than arrows. That's what I guess. Never actually tested. Other than that, I can't find any reason to explain why crossbow will do more damage to the target than compound bow.

Anyone here can explain this scientifically or by experience? I have a feeling that crossbow still get a lot of 'discrimination' here in Virginia even it allows cb hunting for everyone since 2005.
wabi

Post by wabi »

No,
They aren't any more damaging to targets, but you'll never convince the anti-crossbow crowd of that.
wabi
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

The Key word there is "Discrimination". :evil:
That is the only reason. With compounds now shooting 330 fps. plus. Faster than some crossbows. They are only dinosaurs being left behind with the times. Soon we will all be considered equal. :) Everywhere. Patience is all. :wink:
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
Boo

Re: b

Post by Boo »

John wrote:The Key word there is "Discrimination". :evil:
That is the only reason. With compounds now shooting 330 fps. plus. Faster than some crossbows. They are only dinosaurs being left behind with the times. Soon we will all be considered equal. :) Everywhere. Patience is all. :wink:
Well said John. I would have used another term (scum sucking sonsofbitches). The Toronto archery range near the Science Center has that same problem.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

My local archery range won't allow them either. When I asked why...they said that the bolts would cause excessive damage to the targets. I even offered to bring my own target and not shoot at theirs. They still said no. I ended up joining a gun range with a small archery range. Funny, I thought there were no rules here in California. I guess I was wrong.
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

weight- fps =Ke. Bow type doesn't matter one may shoot a longer arrow but they hit the same. very sad ppl won't accept a great hunting tool!
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

It just shows the IGNORANCE of some people :evil: . Bass Pro lets you use crossbows at there ranges if you have one near you :)
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

you will find that in VA some like them but you will find that most ranges have anti's there;)
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

smokepolehall wrote:weight- fps =Ke. Bow type doesn't matter one may shoot a longer arrow but they hit the same. very sad ppl won't accept a great hunting tool!
Hmm, It's been 35 years or so since I've had Physics, but I believe the equation is actually:

KE=1/2 mv2

where m equals kilograms
where v equals velocity in meters per second

ergo:

Let's assume a 360 grain arrow travelling at a velocity of 278 feet per second

KE= 1/2 x 0.23327Kg. x 84.7344 meters per second, squared
KE= 83.74joules or
KE=62ft lbs.

I believe you'll find this close to the performance charts that Excalibur is kind enough to provide on this website.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

i wasn't trying to show a fomula just that = weight and velocity will give same Ke wether or not the Bows are diff.
thats ok this will be my last stupid post on this forum!
you have a good one
pokynojoe

Post by pokynojoe »

smokepolehall wrote:i wasn't trying to show a fomula just that = weight and velocity will give same Ke wether or not the Bows are diff.
thats ok this will be my last stupid post on this forum!
you have a good one
Dear me! I'm sorry if you took offense. I was merely trying to correct what I thought to be an inaccuracy on your part. Please forgive me. You would be sorely missed from this forum. I would not want to be the reason for your leaving, therefore, stay, please, it is I who will no longer participate as a member of this forum. Clearly, I have nothing positive to contribute. I hope by making this gesture, you'll reconsider.

Farewell and Good luck to you
Joe
Skarek

Post by Skarek »

Fat chance that a 400+ and a 200+ poster will leave this forum due to some quarrel about physics based on a misunderstanding :P

:oops: Sorry I just had to... :oops:
cdup

Post by cdup »

Everyone make mistakes and bad judgement at some point in our lives. We're only human! I just learn to laugh at my mistakes and move on. I'm not perfect and I'm yet to meet the one who is.
Respect everyone, but fear no one
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

I for one still cannot fathom that there are bow shooters out there that are that narrow minded, I have been involved in archery since I was ten and to me if it has a string and shoots an arrow it's a bow duh!!I feel very fotunate to live in Ont where I can use any stringed piece of equipment I choose to hunt with as long as it meets the poundage requirement.
The best things in life are not things!!