bass pro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bigsy

bass pro

Post by bigsy »

First off newbie saying hello....

Secondly, I finally convinced my cousin to upgrade his crossbow and he was looking at an excocet, upon receiving a healthy gift card for his birthday he headed to Bass pro (toronto), only to be told he couldn't test fire the bow, reason being Excalibur's can not be returned once fired, even asked why there was no demo :shock: , is this normal store policy or is this just a clerk that decided he didn't feel like it? :? I personally have had varied experinces in that store ranging from amazing service to I might have to reach across this counter any sec....anyways the bow shop in waterloo will have sale soon 8)
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome to the Forum :D I allways call the salesmans Bluff.I immediately ask for the Manager and 99% of the time the sales man is feeding a bunch of BULL :lol:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
mikej

Post by mikej »

welcome to the forum stash from the forum works there maybe he can shed some light for you
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome friend
Sounds like bull to me :shock:
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
ger34

Post by ger34 »

First off...welcome to the forum...you will find that 99% of your questions can and will be answered here

I noticed you live in Kitchener....is there any reason you didn't go up to the Bow Shop in Waterloo to look at the Excalibur model you want?

the last time i was there they let you fire it.....and yes...BP in Vaughn does not please alot of people

Good luck...let me know if you need any more help finding a crossbow
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Welcome to the forum!

I'm sure you won't be disappointed in dealing with the Bow Shop - good people there and good customer service.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

My immediate response would be to tell the clerk where he can stick the bow-sideways. Then, I'd get the manage involved. Have learned long ago nit to deal with hourly rate help on policy level issues.
huntman

Post by huntman »

welcome to the forum. The problem with Bass Pro is that they only have a few employees in the hunting dept. that actually know what they are talking about. The rest of them are "fillers". If you go to a small bow shop you will speak to someone that is knowledgable, the disadvantage is not all of them have a range to shoot.
DesertRat

Post by DesertRat »

Read his post. Maybe the "gift card" was for BP. Either way, he should be allowed to shoot the bow.
[url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/avatar_17947.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/725352.gif[/img][/url][url=http://avatars.jurko.net][img]http://img1.jurko.net/01.jpg[/img][/url]
bigsy

Post by bigsy »

ger34 wrote:First off...welcome to the forum...you will find that 99% of your questions can and will be answered here

I noticed you live in Kitchener....is there any reason you didn't go up to the Bow Shop in Waterloo to look at the Excalibur model you want?

the last time i was there they let you fire it.....and yes...BP in Vaughn does not please alot of people

Good luck...let me know if you need any more help finding a crossbow
thanks for the welcome guys been lerking for a while lots of solid info here, as for myself I almost exclusively go to the bow shop (bought my exomax there) nothing but positive things to say about that store, my cousin did however recieve a gift card for BP, other wise he would have gone straight to the bow shop
"Vegetarians are cool. All I eat are vegetarians - except for the occasional mountain lion steak." Ted Nuget

Wabi call to bring them close,
Exomax with Boo string projecting Big John bolts, to bring them home
bradm

Post by bradm »

welcome to the forum, I usually make a trip there when im short on supplies. Anyways, when they first opened they treated you like a king, now you have search for a person that knows what there talking about, I was asking for info on compound verticle bows, all I got was neutral answers like maybe, it could work, possibly. I was a little annoyed as making the trip all the way there to pick out a bow and I got crapy answers, I had better luck searching the internet.

Anyways in your case, you were out of luck, everytime I go there I ask to shoot one of there excal at there nice new deer target, and if they don't have the model I wan't to shoot, I just ask for a different one.

So now I do myself a favor, phoning ahead of time before making the trip.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

There is definitely something to be said about dealing with a small shop. I know my local shop (The Archer's Nook) in London will let you test fire any bow.

That being said I've been caught in the gift card trap before and ended up buying something from BPS that I could have bought for less at The Nook.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Stash

Post by Stash »

Sorry about your problem at the BP - I've been on holidays this week, so I know it wasn't me :)

We always let people test fire Excaliburs, with one single exception - when we have a big sale going on, like we did for the last few weeks, sometimes there just isn't time to take customers in the range and spend time with them. Management tells the staff to use their own discretion in such situations, and if there's a long line of people waiting to buy treestands or stuff or have arrows cut, etc, we explain the situation to the customer, and generally they understand.

I don't personally recall ever refusing any serious customer a test shot or two. The store is a tourist attraction, and we constantly get people running through the place asking "hey mister, can I try shooting this" so we don't obviously let them. We have an arcade right next to the Archery department for that purpose. But anyone who is seriously interested gets to try anything (within reason). Time permitting.

As for returning a bow - it's a general store policy, but not written in stone. Obviously, for safety reasons, bows cannot generally be returned once taken out of the store and shot. In some cases there's no way of knowing if the bow has been abused, dry-fired, etc. Obviously, we have to put returns back on the rack for resale. Would you like to buy a bow that someone had abused and returned?

We have had a couple of cases of people buy a crossbow just before hunting season, shoot a deer the first weekend, and then try to return the bow. One guy even didn't wash all the blood completely off an arrow!

If there's a good reason the the return, like a defect, sure. Or if the customer just plain doesn't like the product, it's a manager's call. Please don't blame the "greenshirts". :D