is treestand a big help for cb hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cbruce

is treestand a big help for cb hunting?

Post by cbruce »

I am going to have my first hunting with cb this year. How important is treestand for cb hunting? Does it help a lot or I can leave without it? What's the pros and cons of it? I am still debating with whether to buy one of these. The price is not a big issue, but my concern is taking such a bulky thing in and out the woods every time is really a burden. Plus if I ready shoot a deer, it will be more difficult for me to carry all the extra weight by myself. I need your suggestion on how to handle such issue and also if I use a hang-on type, shall I set it up in early morning or in the afternoon. I don't want to scare the animals away when I work on it. Thanks.
fratri

treestands?

Post by fratri »

Treestands are nice, but most of my hunting has been from the ground, nice and close..... The biggest disadvantage I have on the ground is not seeing the deer until they are on top of you.... Just take a walk along the edge of a corn field for example and find the trail that leads to the field, keeping the wind (most common) direction in mind, sit about 10yds away on the edge of the bush facing the field..... You usually don't see the deer until they are in the shooting zone.... It can be tough at times but also can be really exciting when you have a deer walk right by you at 2yds and not even know you are there....

If I had the option of hunting in the tree stand or on the ground I would take the tree all the time/much better view..... there is one advantage of being on the ground it allows me to be mobile and set up anywhere I want....

Treestands offer you a better view and better scent protection against unwanted wind.....
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

In my limited experience with cb hunting I can leave my stand up for months and I am sure it will be there when I go hunting. I also have a chair blind. Last fall we had some really windy and cold days. In the tree stand it was almost impossable to keep warm and focused on hunting. In the afternoon I set up the chair blind and with the extra protection it was a real joy to be hunting. I don't think you should have only one option, ground hunting is a lot safer and much easier to move if needed.
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

I haven't used a tree stand while crossbow hunting. I actually haven't used a tree stand or a blind in 28 years. I make use of the natural surroundings. It's challanging at first, but, gets easier as you go along. I don't view it as a disadvantage and I've had a lot of success. Gives me unlimited options when dealing with wind conditions.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

treestands are all I hunt from... Ive put up 18 so far this season... 4 more to go this weekend

I cant stand being on the ground since you dont have a good view. I never go about 15ft and I know some like to say its nice being up close and personal on the ground, but im normally only 5-10yards away up the tree :lol:

treestands to me are like shoes to woman.. you can never have enough
cbruce

Post by cbruce »

Thanks for your replies. Many different sucessful stories by both ways. I think either way, I will enjoy the hunting. One more question: If hunt on the ground, any way to prevent from losing bolts after a pass through? I know a treestand has an advantage to keep pass through bolts close.
wabi

Post by wabi »

cbruce wrote:.....One more question: If hunt on the ground, any way to prevent from losing bolts after a pass through?.....
For me, arrows are usually lost when shooting from a ground blind.
I have had as good of success from ground blinds as tree stands. The tree stand offers better vision and scent dispersal, but the ground blinds offer better concealment and shelter. I usually try to cover the best areas with both options set up in advance, then I can choose which I'll use on any given day taking the wind direction and weather into account.
wabi
Rich

Post by Rich »

I use a climbing tree stand exclusively. I feel more confident being up in the air than on the ground. Plus, your field of view is better. Only drawback is there are times where a suitable tree to climb is not anywhere to be found. Major plus to a climbing stand for me is the comfort, allows me to stay in the woods longer.

As far as pass throughs go, I've accepted the fact that once I launch a bolt/arrrow at a deer the probability of losing, breaking or ripping vanes is gonna happen. I have no problem with that if a deer is taken. One option is to use a lighted nock to track and recover a bolt, I use luminoks with great success.

Rich
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

Hunting from a treestand does have a lot of advantages but one thing to remember is that the limbs of a compound bow will move outwards as the string is released. That tree branch that didn't look to be in the way could launch you into space.

Be sure to wear a harness and take a good look around for anything that might be in the way of your crossbow limbs.

SD
Visit the Sleeping Dog at Southern Ontario Outdoors
http://www.sooutdoors.ca
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I leave my Stands up all year. I like the visibility i get from up in the air :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

I've hunted on the ground and in a stand. I am impatient by nature. The treestand forces me to sit in one spot. If I sit on the ground I want to move after a short period of time.

The view from a stand is a great benefit.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
dougedwards

tree stand trajectory

Post by dougedwards »

I am just wondering how the arrows will fly shooting from 20 feet above the ground. It had minimal impact with my vertical bow but I wasn't shooting out to 60 yards either at 350 fps. Any input from Exomax hunters from a treestand?

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....romans 8
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

60 yards is a looonnnngggg way to shoot a crossbow, even at 350fps.

30 yards is my maximum, but 20 yards and under is preferable.
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

I wouldnt advise a 60 yard shot at a deer that far.. to far and to much chance of wounding!

I shoot 40 max with my equinox...

as for shooting down from a treestand with a xbow, its no different any any other type of shooting :P

You normally want to aim a tad lower almost always from a stand
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I usually hunt from the ground. The view is better from the tree and you generally have better scent control up higher, but a ground blind is sure nice when it's windy and cold!

It's also nice when you're setting up in the dark or coming out in the dark - much easier from the ground.

Like fratri said, when you're on the ground it's exciting when you can't see the deer until it's RIGHT THERE! You can hear them coming and your heart starts pounding and then... they appear and you have to make the choice to either just enjoy the view or take them home for dinner. :lol:

The one thing I usually use when I'm on the ground is a shooting stick. It's great to keep the bow up and ready to shoot. I've been busted several times when deer suddenly materialize just a few yards away and my bow is down.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.