LONG YARDAGE SHOTS

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'm not starving. I enjoy knowing that I can get so incredibly close to deer. That's hunting. :D Maybe I'm a bit weird, but I usually get a huge kick out of letting 'em walk. Rather not take a chancy shot and have regrets.
Last edited by VixChix on Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Thanks Wabi, this is the kind of responcei expected form the great group of knowageable people I hve seen on this site. No you are not a Smart-A$$, just smart. The biggest reason I joined this forum was to learn. Thanks
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
dutchhunter

no ill intended

Post by dutchhunter »

but i think every body should try this test u can really hear the arrow coming it is a hole different story when u are down range be safe
dougedwards

Re: no ill intended

Post by dougedwards »

dutchhunter wrote:but i think every body should try this test u can really hear the arrow coming it is a hole different story when u are down range be safe
Being within ear shot of a speeding arrow doesn't quite seem safe to me. Do you wear a helmet while doing this? :shock:
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....romans 8
HW

Post by HW »

We all have our own comfort levels. My backyard only allows me to practice out to 35 yards so you can bet my shots will be within that distance. Just remember you have to live with the shot you make. Like most people on this forum I have had many sleepless nights over poorly placed shots.

There are many people who have made sucessful long shots and if one feels confident in their abilities it would far from me or anyone else to critisize that decision.

Be safe and make the best shot you can.
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount
saxman

Post by saxman »

Welcome Kelley (thats one of my daughters name)
I like the name of the town you live in.Let me know sometime how that came to be.

As far as long range shooting goes,I'm all for praticing at ranges 50 -60 and even well beyond.
I will include a link to a site that has some of the best LRS that I know and the equipment they use.

http://cacciaebalestra.altervista.org/I ... Main0.html

I have read all the posts and have minimal experiance compaired to most of the ladies and gentelmen that posted above.

I myself would have to take each situation as it comes but I know for sure that my Lumi-Zone has a 50 yard chevron and under the right conditions I MIGHT use it but it would be a tough decision for me.

I came back from my annual crossbow trip to Michigan last season empty handed having three less than ideal shot oppertunities on 1 buck and 2 does.
One decision not to shoot was because of the body position of the deer and some obstruction the other 2 decisions not to shoot were made because of range. they were 50 yards or better and I just didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling that I get when I KNOW IT"S RIGHT.
And I have never regretted the decisions to not shoot.

Once again I welcome you and I will be the last to judge you for the shots you take my friend and the decisions you make,I hope they be warm and fuzzy ones.
Last edited by saxman on Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

HW that might be where my comfort level lays or even maybe less. I do have 10 acres so range is not a problem. I have not shot my new Exocet yet as I had a defective scope ring and had to send it back to get a replacement. I to have made bad shots from deflected arrows from hitting a twig but never lost a deer. Had to hunt from a 2:00pm shot, after waiting 1 1/2 hrs,빘 till 1:30am on one but found him.
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Spitfire
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

Thanks SAX. The hunt is not all about the harvest
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
STS
Spitfire
saxman

Post by saxman »

Well said Kelley
Glad to have you here :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

NewB Myself and howdy Kelly.. But I did stand down range the other day as a friend shot from 40 yards with a Horton hunter.. And I was really surprised my self how loud it was.. The Mrs. is taking over my Phoenix and I just order a Exocet today.. 40 yards thats our kill zone no more and hope fully less.. I want to rig up a moving target.. Gonna smash some brain cells and come up with something.. :shock: 8)
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Kelly Welcome :D i have about 1 and 1/2 cents worth to add :o . I shoot my Exomax just about every day and i recommend as much practice as possible :) The more you know your Equipment the Better. Then i feel when the shot arises you will know if you should or will take it NO matter what the yardage is :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Mans gotta know his limitation mine is 30yds with any of my archery equipment 100 yds with my rifle and shotgun iron sights on the last two for big game, and 40yds for turkey with the shotgun but that is my comfort zone and my choice,everyone has their own.For me it comes down to my own experience I have taken longer shots and paid the price of recovering and tracking and worrying about loosing an injured animal.I like alot of members on this forum enjoy getting as close as possible to my prey for that is the addiction.
The best things in life are not things!!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Kelley we will get allot of talking in this season. I started hunting with a crossbow back in 81 and have taken over 450 deer with various CB's but out of all them kills I've only taken 2 shots at deer at 40 yards and both were recovered. One did a 180 and the arrow cough him in the ephemera and the other I lined up the shot while he was standing next to a tree and cough him in the liver. I also have only taken about a dozen shot at 35 yards and only one was not recovered. I figured my avg shot is somewhere in the range of 7-12 yards. I don't see any since practicing shots over 25 yards, to me it is a waist of string use. But I will take a few shots now and then to make sure I'm still on at 30-40 yards just in case that monster decides to offer up a shot.
dutchhunter

long shots

Post by dutchhunter »

on a 1000lb moose or lets say a beef u can probable shot 50 or 60 yards and do just fine BUT this is the WHITE TAIL ghoust were talking about the most scitich nervise animal in noth amarica i have had them dodge the string at 20 yards .the best we can hope for is a shot at a animal that is still and calm broadside and then a prayer does not hurt when we shoot .good luck all just remamber we have to live with are selfs at the end of each day my two cents
dougedwards

Post by dougedwards »

jh45gun wrote:What I have not said on this forum and will do so now I cringe when I hear folks talking ultra long range with muzzle loaders too as their rainbow trajectory does not bode well for long range shooting and while some of the so called experts can shoot that far and do the average guy who sights in his gun at 100 yards has no business trying at longer distances..
You have evidently not had the opportunity to shoot one of the more advanced type of muzzleloaders that are available to us today. 3" inch groups at 300 yards is not unheard of and some are getting MOA accuracy out to 500 yards. But this is certainly not done using black powder and is not accomplished with rifles straight out of the box. It requires the type of work and diligence that many hunters are unwilling to sacrifice to be confident in a long range shot. Rainbow trajectory is not the big problem with 300+ yard shooting with a muzzleloader as you can adjust your scope allow for the drop. The main culprit is windage which depends on conditions and the only way to anticipate the projectiles course is to shoot in varying conditions and shoot alot.

I must admit that I have lost whitetails while bow hunting. Once was a shot that was straight down from my tree stand. It isn't a good feeling. It is my belief that if a man is to bow hunt at all he should develop his tracking skills along with his shooting skills. That requires patience. Sometimes it requires that I crawl on my hands and knees but I feel that if I am man enough to take the shot I should be man enough to excersise patience, diligence and endurance till I find the animal that I have mortally wounded no matter what distance I determined to take the shot.

Doug
but you brethren are not of the flesh but of the spirit if indeed the Spirit of Christ dwells within you.....romans 8