Bolt fletching

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bluefish024

Bolt fletching

Post by Bluefish024 »

I have been sitting here for bout an hour trying to find some solid info on fletching crossbow bolts.. Got alot of weird video game websites from my searches.. Now I have wrapped my own fishing rod blanks over the years so to me fletching an arrow or say bolt has to be a little easier. I got this immpression you buy a regular arrow jig and use some form of nocking devise depending on what bolt your using.. But what vane degree sould I be looking for, using a 4 inch or 2 inch vane set and probably will set them on some gold tip lazer 2's.. I will also need to find info on front to center bolt. and grain weights and factors.. Our patrons here at the boat yard have been calling me Myguver Shadetree because I'm always building stuff for them.. Think this will be a fun winter project.. Any Info good or bad is still info.. Thanks..
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
Rich

Post by Rich »

Bluefish,

I use a Bitzenberger jig with zero degree offset. Due to the flat nocks on GT II's, I rigged an adapter by gluing a field tip into a regular arrow nock. Pretty simple after that, just insert GT II into jig, put a 2" blazer in the clamp, apply Goats Tuff glue and stick on the bolt. Repeat two more times.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Blitz Jig here also.. goat tuff glue but be warned that stuff will bond your hand to anything it touches :lol:

as for a offset I usually just set mine barely offset, maybe 2-3 degrees to give some spin. I palyed with different offsets and out to 30 yards the straight flew fine, but from 30-50 it liked a slight offset

just play around and have fun.. i just made up 3 bolts yesterday for fun
mikew

Post by mikew »

Hi Bluefish,
The Arizona EZ-fletch is popular.
These threads should be of interest.
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... aryl+video
http://www.excaliburcrossbow.com/phpBB2 ... aryl+video

You'll need the ALUMINUM version though for the diameter carbon shafts the Excaliburs use with either 4 degree or 8 degree offset. I like 4.

The same holds true for arrow wraps, BTW - get the aluminum size, or they'll be short.

Anyway, some good reading & if you can locate GaryL's videos, they are funny & informative.

Hope that helps,
-Mike
Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

Thanks guys gonna check those jigs out...
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Arizona EZ fletch, right helical for 2" Blazers. Does all three vanes at once, no nock adapter needed. Be sure to get the green one for aluminum arrows. Most vertical bow carbon arrows are much tinner in diameter.