Question about big storms

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

saxman

Question about big storms

Post by saxman »

With all these storms coming through
Can they change the deer's feeding and travel patterns?
I was thinking if the storms put down trees and such it may mees with stands already set.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
N8tr Boy

Post by N8tr Boy »

That could be a problem if the trees that fell had stands in them. I think they would change for a short time until they surveyed the area themselves on the damage and re-route their days patterns.
Exomax
GT II Lazer arrows
125gr expandables
White Tiger 2" Blazer vanes
Chartruese Custom Boo string
Stricknine Expandables
Dabbling with Trad 55#
Mathews Q2 60-70#
Beman arrows
wabi

Post by wabi »

If it puts enough trees down it will change patterns.
We had a freezing rain/ice storm several years ago that drastically altered the huntability of a great tract of state land. It was very hilly terrain, and after the storm it was difficult to even get through, let alone drag a deer out. I'm not sure of the exact harvest numbers (been a few years back) but they dropped from the hundreds to single digits the next year. Not saying the deer population was hurt, they probably even flourished with the added browse and cover, but hunting was very difficult to impossible. I shot a buck there the year before the storm and it took almost 3 hours for 3 of us to get him about 1/2 mile to a road on a clear trail (up a very steep hill). Looked at it after the storm and decided to hunt elsewhere. :shock:
wabi
Sleeping Dog

Post by Sleeping Dog »

I agree with WABI. A severe storm that takes down a lot of trees will definately change patterns. Deer are like people, they look for the path of least resistance and if there are a lot of deadfalls on the trail they will simply look for an easier way through.

This often completely and permanently changes deer trails in a given area. We had to relocate several permanent stands after a servere ice storm a couple of years ago. There's still plenty of deer, but not where the stands were located.

SD
Visit the Sleeping Dog at Southern Ontario Outdoors
http://www.sooutdoors.ca
mikej

Post by mikej »

i agree with wabi and sleepingdog also, if it does enough damage i think it will definately change their patterns
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

ive actaully had storms help me.. deer will funnel aorund those fallen trees and if you find the funnel, its like finding gold :lol:
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

If Ike comes through, then it may change their feeding patterns and their location. :shock: You may find stands from other counties too.

Be careful Sax. I'm glad Hanna was just a strong rain storm. We need for Ike to miss us completely.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
Rich

Post by Rich »

I agree with the previous responses, I've actually knocked a tree down to funnel deer closer to the stand.

Rich
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Rich wrote:I agree with the previous responses, I've actually knocked a tree down to funnel deer closer to the stand.

Rich
rich, ive got 2 on boards that followed a fallen tree right to its base to cross. Just so happens my stand was right over them :lol: Without any pressure, deer walk right down and around the tree trunks. Now if they are in a hurry, they just jump over of coarse. But one of my best spots is in a fallen tree funnel since they have to cross between that and a stream to get to the other side