Transporting firearm through the U.S. from Canada

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Black Coyote

Transporting firearm through the U.S. from Canada

Post by Black Coyote »

I live in London, Ontario and I am planning to go moose hunting in Thunder Bay, Ontario, in October. Instead of flying up this year, my buddy and I are considering driving up, crossing over the U.S. border from Canada at the Sarnia/Port Huron border crossing. Just wondering what the U.S. laws are re transporting firearms (rifles) into the U.S.
Stash

Post by Stash »

Not sure, but in some states I think it's mandatory... :)
BOB VANDRISH

Post by BOB VANDRISH »

To do it legally,you will need to fill out a form ATF Form 6N1A(5330.3D)(Application/Permit for Temporary Importation of Firearms and Ammunition by Nonimmigrant Aliens)that lists all the guns and ammo you plan to bring,along with your Canadian Firearms registration and that has to be sent to the ATF at least six to eight weeks ahead of your trip.
You can get the form on line and you can also fax in the completed copies.
You need to include a copy of the hunting license too.
All of this has to be in your possession when you arrive at the border or they will confiscate your guns.
It may not be quite the same when you plan to re-enter Canada,om your trip but this is what I have to do when I hunt anywhere in the US.
I would suggest you call US customs to be sure of what you need.
Bob Vandrish.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Here's a link to what you'll need.
http://www.atf.treas.gov/forms/pdfs/f53303d.pdf
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Millsy

Post by Millsy »

We make the trip up through Michigan to northern Ontario every fall to go moose hunting. All you need is a USA hunting license for any state and for any game to make it legal to transport your rifles through to another Canadian destination. We usually by a mich. hunting preserve license that cost around $15.
Check out the ATF website question #40 (I think) in the FAQ section. It will answer your question to the T.

John