strings

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M&M

strings

Post by M&M »

I was just at my dealer looking to buy a new fff string but he was out and all he had available were the excel string #1994 and another excal string called a super string flemish but I don't see that one offered by excal on they're site. Is it an earlier fff type string or what? M&M
wabi

Post by wabi »

I believe it's a flemish twist dacron string. Should be fine on any Excalibur including mag or carved limbs.
You loose a few fps, but gain some noise (& shock) reduction.
Dacron flemish twist strings do tend to stretch & creep more than other types, though.
wabi
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I can't agree with you Wabi. I find Flemish strings both faster (7-10) fps and quieter. That's why I make my own. They do creep a bit until they settle in. But so do the FFF. I just adjusted one today for someone, it was well below minimum brace height
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

this is the string i just put on my exocet 200....it doesn't say what it is, just this....

"Combines modern materials with traditional time proven design for the utmost in performance and durability. For use only on Excalibur Crossbows with "Magtip" moulded limb tips. A replacement string for either the Excalibur Exomag, Exomax or Exocet crossbows"

http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/excal ... light.html

i got this one till i can get a boo cat wisker string...............bob

Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

What Wabi is refering to is the old Dacron flemish strings we use to use for the carved tip limbs .They did have a slower speed but were quieter with more stretch .Then when we went to the mag tipped limbs we were able to go to fastflight string materials for dan millers flemish strings .
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

so the one i have isn't dacron then.................bob

wabi

Post by wabi »

Cossack wrote:I can't agree with you Wabi. I find Flemish strings both faster (7-10) fps and quieter. That's why I make my own. They do creep a bit until they settle in. But so do the FFF. I just adjusted one today for someone, it was well below minimum brace height
Are you using dacron??????????
I believe it's a flemish twist dacron string.
A flemish DACRON string will be a little slower than a flemish FASTFLIGHT string. It's the very nature of the material used. Dacron is more elastic in nature and absorbs some of the shock (thus less efficient in transferring energy to the arrow, but quieter). In all my tests there is very little difference in speed with flemish & endless loop dacron strings.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi . . .I have not tested the speed, however, from what I understand, the endless loop dacron is slower than the flemish dacron because of the tightness of the string. I would suggest that the endless loop after it breaks in and gets twisted would eventually be as fast as the flemish dacron. The twisting makes the center part of the string smaller, so less wind resistance. Makes sense.

I never realized the difference until I actually tried them both. I like the flemish dacron. It's smooth and looks great.

Keeping the number of strands the same, both the flemish and endloop dacron is slower than the FFF.

Scott
Last edited by sumner4991 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

Scott,
With my old Vixen there was only 2-3 fps difference between flemish & endless loop dacron strings. These were stings I made myself and had the same number of strands and the same center serving. I don't remember which was fastest, but that much speed isn't really enough to be concerned about. I'd say pick whichever one you like the looks of best and go with it!
I also recently read somewhere that endless loop was the stronger of the two. I'd have thought flemish would be stronger. I suppose they were talking about the weight it took to break a string with a straight pull, but I was shocked to see endless loop listed as stronger.
wabi
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

wabi . . .it's probably another one of those close calls that doesn't really matter in the real world. Know what I mean . . .kind of like the 100 gr expandable broadhead being faster than a 100 gr fixed balde, if you care about tenths of a second, then it's faster. :lol:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
M&M

Post by M&M »

I was just wondering what that string is I figured that as many people on here that are really up on excalibur knowledge that someone would probably know just exactly what it was, but I do think that this particular string has been on the dealers shelf for quite a while. M&M
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Sorry M&M . . . here you go . . .

"Excalibur Flemish Super String:

36" ultra-tough dacron String
For carved or molded limb tips
"

It's a flemish dacron string. I've shot it and like it. It has the feel and charactor of the endless loop dacron with the adjustability of the flemish string. And it comes out of the wrapper a little faster than it's endless loop counterpart. It's not a "old" string.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
wabi

Post by wabi »

If all else fails - Google it! :lol:
Found this link that lists it! :wink:
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=360383
wabi
M&M

Post by M&M »

why isn't it listed with the other two strings excal offers [the fff and the excel] have they discontinued it? is it a better or faster string than the excel? M&M
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It's just a different style. I like the looks of the flemish better. I also like the way it adjusts to your brace height. The one I shot was green in color vs. the Brown/black or tan/brown combo of the endless loop strings.

I'm not sure why they don't list the string.

You could call Danny Miller and ask specific questions . . .he makes the strings for Excalibur. His number is 740-483-2312. He is a great guy and you will enjoy the discussion.

Scott
Last edited by sumner4991 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen