how long can one leave a xbow strung..............

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bob1961

how long can one leave a xbow strung..............

Post by bob1961 »

i noticed when i put my new string on it had to be twisted 8 times, 4 each side to keep it even to where it was just a hair of day light between the STS and string....shot it 6 times with the new 125 gr points since i went with 125 slick tricks mags....now the string is closer to the riser by bout 1/8"....looks like a couple of more twists are needed...........bob

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

if you have a flemish string you will have to re twist about every 10-15 shots up to about 75 or so shots untill its fully stretched. I normally string mine about a week before I start shooting and let it stretch, that way I dont have to adjust the string so much when its crunch time
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

ok so leave it strung....my archery season is oct 4th to nov 15th....should be stretched by then..............bob

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Bob, shoot the heck out of it.. If you notice its moved, then just twist her a few times. Do that untill it doesnt move. Mine will still creep a tad over time, but I try to break lal mine in before season gets here. Sitting in a stand with the bow cocked will cause them to stretch some to. Just keep check on it, but its not much different on point of impact anywhere close to those lines. You just dont want to past that front line to much(closest to footpeg)

its normal to twist it pretty often the first week of shooting 8)
wabi

Post by wabi »

Bob,
That's another advantage of the "Boo string" we all brag about. Don pre-stretches his strings, and the ones I have required little or no adjustment for brace height, and in a full seasons hunting it only took one adjustment to brace height of a couple twists.
BTW- no real need to twist both ends, the string will "balance out" the twists in a couple shots.
Last edited by wabi on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

thx guys....never even shot a xbow before i got mine a couple of weeks ago i'm trying to absorb all i can learn....i'm glad i went with the excaliber exocet 200 a xbow without training wheels on it....there is so much more i can do with it without needing a press at a pro....i'm looking for a F.O.C. calc to see where i stand on my arrow weight i may need to change....right now my arrows weigh 380 grains total, the 330fps the exo 200 is rated is with a 350 gr arrow....as soon as i get to the sporting goods store to check it with a chrony, i think i'm a little over 300fps now....right now my bow pretty quick....i also tried it out to 50 yards shooting off hand i was 4" right by 2" high but i know i was wobbling bad too, thats better then my flintlock, lol....can't wait to smoke a deer with it..........bob

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Bob . . .I'm in the bstout camp on this one . . .I've never taken a string off except to replace or reserve.

Strings will continue to stretch at different levels for the first 100 shots . . .even Boo Custom Strings. However, the Boo Custom Strings do a lot less stretching. The factory strings will stretch for as much as 15 twists and still may not be at the brace height you desire(if you like it low, as I do). That's the biggest reason for getting a Boo Custom String. Boo can do a lot more detail work and it makes a difference. I'm not saying that the factory strings are bad, in fact they are great strings too. However, the break-in period is longer and the serving life(for the first serving) is shorter.

You need to learn to serve your own string. The string's best life is in the second and third servings. If you properly take care of your strings, then they can last a very long time.

Do a search here and build yourself a simple jig to stretch the string and learn how to serve. It's really easy.

Contact Boo with questions . . .he is gald to help and he is the MASTER. No kidding. There are great threads here and I'll help you with that if needed.

Scott
Last edited by sumner4991 on Sat Sep 13, 2008 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

thx scott....i've been archery hunting since 1982 so i kinda can hold my own when it comes to learning a different chapter in archery as i'm learning with a xbow....due to nerve damage from brain surgery august 06 i can't shoot my compound with the ability an animal needs to harvasted with....i will be reading till my eyes go crossed eyed i guess..............bob

crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

bob, my exocet 200 with that setup(375grain) was shooting 312-317 with the FFF string if that helps you guess;)
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

thx....i guessed bout 300fps with the 150gr heads, so them numbers sound bout right....where i used to live 30 miles from me now the sporting goods dealer has a chrony and dart system....once i get my setup to where i want it i'll post up the details of what i have and all............bob

Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"If you have a flemish string you will have to re twist about every 10-15 shots up to about 75 or so shots untill its fully stretched."

I made a simple stretching jig using a 2x4, some strong angle irons ends, an open hook on one end and a turnbuckle on the other. Pre-stretch all my string thereby eliminating some of the adjustments associated with Flemish strings.
Also use it when serving my strings. I take most of the twists out of the string, stretch it very tight, serve, then twist in the same direction as the serving is wound when reinstalling the string. Gives me very tight serving that simply does not separate.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

can you post a pic of that jig so i can get an idea of it, possibly to make one myself....i'll search the forum in the meantime, thx.............bob

Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I don't take my string off either, unless maintenance or adjustment requires me too. The debate will always rage on, but many have shown that nothing is hurt by leaving them strung ... at least in our experience.
Grizz
dutchhunter

string

Post by dutchhunter »

I also leave mine on all year .but i shot all yer too i try to shot a few shoots each week thru the summer and shot more and more as eason gets closer right now i shot at lest four shots every day only few more weeks till go time .getting that warm fuzzy feeiling my wife thinks i am nuts but i know i am not alone DUTCH
HW

Post by HW »

I leave mine on as well. I also take the bow to the backyard quite often to keep sharp.
Exocet 175
Boo String (Red&Black)
GT II's
2" Blazers
Slick Tricks
Dan Miller Mount