My First Woods Experience

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kmtpr

My First Woods Experience

Post by kmtpr »

Here in NJ, opening bow season was last Saturday the 13th and my fav nephew asked if I wanted to spend that special day out in the woods with him. Figured I'd share this with you. My nephew is the hunter and I was just going along as a spectator, since I don't hunt...as of yet, LOL.

My first hunting experience with my nephew, Jason, opening day bow season went very well. I was up from the morning before, and couldn't sleep at all waiting for him to pick me up. He came a little earlier, picked me up at 3:30 AM. He drove down to his hunting club, and got there a little before 5 AM. Saw other club members, a few other family members. We had a quick snack and all headed out to their spots.

Jason went out of his way to clear the trail into the woods to where he had his blind set up. He had 2 chairs in there and set up his digital camera on a tripod to catch some pics. Got his bow and arrow ready and we sat and waited. To his right he saw a buck and another buck coming in behind him. Both stopped and were looking in our direction. I couldn't see them, because of the angle and being way too dark. I did hear them snort--have never heard that sound before. Both turned back and took off. So, we waited some more. A lonely button buck came in. He was a nice size for a BB, and Jay was thinking about shooting him, but didn't. He did get the opportunity but, let him walk. Nothing else came in and we went back to the clubhouse a little before 9 AM.

Another nephew, Mike joined us for breakfast. Drove to a nearby place. Food was good and we enjoyed spending that time together. That was around 10 AM. Headed back to the club and BS-ed with several members who were there. A lot more members started driving in as there was a meeting scheduled for 12:00. While the guys discussed their club business, I stayed outside and walked around until I found "1" spot where my cell phone got a signal and spent that hour talking with a friend. Sun was very hot, but had a nice long chat. After the meeting, I went inside and just hung out there with the others, as it was much cooler. Most of the members had only come for that meeting, so they had left.

About 3:45 PM, Jay and I decided we would head back into the woods. Sat and waited. It was very quiet except for the birds and a couple of squirrels around. Finally, a deer was coming in from a little different direction. That was around 5:15 PM. She looked to be a nice size and she was all alone. Jay had to kill a doe before he could earn a buck tag in that zone. Jay got his bow ready and I knew he was waiting for her to turn broadside. She did, and he let the broadhead fly. Went about 10 yds and I saw that he made a good lung shot. She jumped and ran about 90 feet away, where she died in a couple of mins. He checked his arrow, recovered the deer right away and dragged her out of that area. Gutted her at the club and we went to a check station, but they had closed. So, we stopped at a nearby store where he got ice and packed the cavity. We had a quick bite driving back up north. Jay called another place closer to home to see if he could check the deer in there. Rob waited for us to get there and that was done.

By this time, Jay's truck needed gas, so he got that right before driving me home. This was around 10 PM. I had a great day. My experience will be one I will never forget. Thanks to Jason, for making this day a very good one. Was glad he filled his doe tag and I enjoyed spending that special day with him. Hoping he gets his buck next time out. :D
Am a non-hunting woman who supports hunting and crossbows!

I rather be hated for standing up for what I believe in, than be popular by going against my beliefs.

NRA Golden Eagles & ILA, NJOA
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

:D Congrats to your nephew and look forward to hearing some bow stories from you .
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Glad to hear that you got in on it! Sounds like you had a good time ... the first of many, we hope! :D
Grizz
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

welcome to the forum from your neigbor in PA....glad to hear a story like that from a non-hunter, especialy from one that's into what you are and isn't a hunter....kudo's to you and hope you will enjoy hunting soon maybe....as a newbie myself to xbow's and soon to be hunting with one since my surgery and had to go that route with a disabilty permit here in PA....the people here are the best i've come across in a forum since i joined a traditional "no in-lines allowed" muzzleloading forum that turned out just as fantastic as the people here....plus you won't and can't go wrong with an excalibur xbow to boot with there customer service that "IS" second to none...............bob

wabi

Post by wabi »

Sounds like a great opening day!
And you've now experienced the fact that it's a lot more than just killing a deer! :wink:

Stick around and read the stories, and we might help help you remove that non from your personal description. :lol:
wabi
mikew

Congrats!

Post by mikew »

Congrats to your Nephew!

-Mike
kmtpr

Post by kmtpr »

Thanks very much for the kind words. Very nice to be "accepted". Am very proud of all my nephews. Have 4 out of the 7 who hunt, but Jason is my fav, I have to admit. He and I have been close since he was 2 yrs old and he's always had so much respect for me and I have always supported him with his hunting and fishing. When he started going to Taxidermy school, we became even closer, as I was very interested in seeing his "artwork". He is a very hard working and talented young man.

A little sad note I saw from today, though. It seems that when he drove to check out his trail cam pics and throw down some more corn, he found that his nice house blind was vandalized. They had cut out the mesh windows and made one foot long slashes all over it. He had to travel nearly 3 hrs round trip. He is going to try to stitch it up and someone recommended using glue to make it more waterproof. He has another set of windows that came with it, so maybe, he'll be able to salvage it. Just a real shame that people resort to this kind of behavior. I was very sad and mad to hear about this and I will help him either fix it or replace it, whichever or both. I am looking forward to going out there with him, again, and am glad to see that he will not be chased off. He was legally setup there. Think we'll put up another trail cam to try to catch the SOB!!
Last edited by kmtpr on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

I rather be hated for standing up for what I believe in, than be popular by going against my beliefs.

VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Great post! Totally enjoyed reading about your experience!!! Looking forward to more.

p.s. After reading that, I'm thinking the Apex might not be the right choice for you. :wink:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

That was a wonderful post and I really enjoyed it. Thank you!
saxman

Post by saxman »

I enjoyed thaty.
TFS :D
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
mikej

Post by mikej »

great post
kmtpr

Post by kmtpr »

VixChix wrote:p.s. After reading that, I'm thinking the Apex might not be the right choice for you. :wink:
I was just looking at the difference btn the Apex and the Vixen. I might look into the Apex further for targets, but if I find myself getting out more and the opportunity develops into actually hunting, I think I will look towards the Vixen. Been trying to familiarize myself with both. I like the recurve style, as well.

Thanks, again, to ALL for the very nice comments. Also very nice of you to take the time to read it and I am very proud of my nephew for taking me out there and glad to share the story with all of you. :D

dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

Welcome and waiting to read more Exciteing Adventures now that you are Hooked :) Allso like too say it is GREAT That you take the time and energy too support your Nephew in his Endeavors 8) Way to Go :wink:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]