string stretch

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Strikenmike

Post by Strikenmike »

Thanks again. What I thought was wax may actually be "white out" that I put on the string to help insure proper cocking alignment. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and keep my string tight.

I see another problem with my STS. As the string stretches, my stoppers are out of alignment. Before I take anymore metal off the adjustment rods, I am going to let my string settle in some more. I may simply have to take the STS off for awhile, something I hate to do fearing a dryfire. I suppose if the string is hitting the STS too hard it will slow down my arrows and wear out the bumper pads.

Thanks again,
Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
inmysights

Post by inmysights »

Just to follow up on my initial question,
Seeing as my older exocet does not have the two lines(string location markers?) on the rail, can anyone tell me what distance they both are from the riser. Does anyone think that I should concern myself with making the two indicators(possibly on the side of the rail) for reference or just stick to the 1 1/8" brace height mark. I'm sure that there must be another member with one of these older versions who has encountered the similar issue. Thanks
Boo

Post by Boo »

inmysights, just adjust the string above the STS and everything is cool until the string stops stretching.

Strikemike, mark the side of the rail with some white paint. I used a white triangle to give me a large but precise indicator. The STS will not slow down your arrow. The arrow leaves the string at the brace height because the string starts slowing down at that point. So where ever the string is set is where the arrow departs from the string.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Strikenmike

Post by Strikenmike »

Thanks, however if the string hits the bumpers just before it reaches the normal brace height what happens as far as arrow speed, accuracy, etc?

One last STS question...my package included two replacement bumpers and two pieces of what appear to be dental floss or serving material. Of course their are no instruction telling me what this is for. Any ideas?

Mike
Tight Lines & Ten Rings
Phoenix. 400 Gr Gold Tip w/100Gr. Muzzy, 2"blazers, brass inserts, 1/2 alum knock insert.
wabi

Post by wabi »

inmysights wrote:Just to follow up on my initial question,
Seeing as my older exocet does not have the two lines(string location markers?) on the rail, can anyone tell me what distance they both are from the riser. Does anyone think that I should concern myself with making the two indicators(possibly on the side of the rail) for reference or just stick to the 1 1/8" brace height mark. I'm sure that there must be another member with one of these older versions who has encountered the similar issue. Thanks
On my older Excaliburs I used a simple "rule of thumb" for determining brace height. Just happens my thumb measures 1 1/8" wide at the knuckle, so I could lay my thumb on the rail between the riser & string to check brace height. :wink: :lol:
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

Strikenmike wrote:Thanks, however if the string hits the bumpers just before it reaches the normal brace height what happens as far as arrow speed, accuracy, etc?

One last STS question...my package included two replacement bumpers and two pieces of what appear to be dental floss or serving material. Of course their are no instruction telling me what this is for. Any ideas?

Mike
That Fast Flight string material is supposed to be served where the bumpers hit the string. I think most are like Wabi's, filed in bin "G".
Basically the bumpers determine the brace height with great consistency regardless of temperature, moisture and string creep. When you set your brace height you are telling the bow where you want the arrow to leave the string just like the STS. The difference being that the STS creates a perfectly consistent release. Without it you are subject to changes of brace height due to temp, moisture and creep. It's a very small point but not nearly as big as the benefit of noise and shock reduction.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
inmysights

Post by inmysights »

Thanks for the replies Boo and Wabi,
Will try to keep string just above 1 1/8" brace height as you mentioned.
Boo...I think you may have mistaken my situation with Strikenmike. Unfortunately I don't have a STS on my bow. Wish I could. I took a look
at the possibility, but the way the riser was designed on the older Exocet I can't come up with a way to install it. There aren't any holes through the top of the riser like the newer models and drilling them doesn't look feasible. If anyone has any suggestions, I am more than happy to hear them. Thanks again