PEAMEAL BACK BACON

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

Yes I do eat peameal bacon but not on a regular basis. It is extremely good but I think it is just a real treat. If you had it every day it would just be another meat. In my first hunt camp our cook would bring a large cooler full of pea meal bacon each year. Breakfast has never been the same without eggs, hash browns[any potatoes will do] bacon and toast. Got to give it a try. As far as poutine goes I have lived in Canada for 63 years and I have never had poutine or actually no desire to try it. I guess I am not educated in the finer things of life. As far as ketchup goes, is there really anything that it shouldn't go on. We should be proud of our variety of foods in our two countries whether it be pea meal bacon or gritts. Our ancestors have produced two great countries fueled by these foods. Hats off to them. :lol:
Excalibur Exomax and Arctic Cat 400 auto. Life don't get much better than that.
mikej

Post by mikej »

what is grits? as for ketchup sometimes i put it on poutine some times i don't it depends on the mood i guess :lol: don that video is hilarious that will teach em to mess with canada :lol: :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

mikej wrote:what is grits? as for ketchup sometimes i put it on poutine some times i don't it depends on the mood i guess :lol: don that video is hilarious that will teach em to mess with canada :lol: :lol:
Grits are cracked wheat that parents make kids eat for punishment. Reminds me of boogers. :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
mikej

Post by mikej »

Boo wrote:
mikej wrote:what is grits? as for ketchup sometimes i put it on poutine some times i don't it depends on the mood i guess :lol: don that video is hilarious that will teach em to mess with canada :lol: :lol:
Grits are cracked wheat that parents make kids eat for punishment. Reminds me of boogers. :shock:
thats funny
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Grits are coarsely ground corn, Mike. White grits use just the kernel, Yellow grits use the kernel and hull, and hominy grits are ground from hominy.

As traditionally made, grits are the same as corn meal, only coarser. The screening separates the corn meal from the grits. Finer particles are corn meal, coarser are grits. Modern mills produce either without screening.

Grits are cooked with salted water into a thick sort of porridge, and topped with butter, pepper and sometimes gravy or cheese. A very common breakfast food throughout the southern US.

I love a bowl of grits in the morning! :D

Mind you, without salt and other additions, grits are very bland. That's why some folks don't like them. And a lot of people don't know how to cook them ... you've got to stay with them and STIR or they'll be lumpy.

"Instant" grits have done a great deal of damage to their reputation. This is a processed product not worthy of the name, much like "instant" oatmeal.

Come on down and stop by ... we'll have us a bowl. :D :wink:

A variation found in the Appalachain mountains and the midwest is cornmeal mush, cooked the same way as grits and then poured into a mold and allowed to solidify. It is then sliced and fried, usually in bacon grease.

Good stuff. Grizz grew up on it. :D
Grizz
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

I guess it should be mentioned that the term "grits" is applied to different foodstuffs in different regions! :D

I imgaine Awshucks would be familiar with the sort I've described.

I'd like what Boo's talking about too. I like all plain whole or half grain cereals.
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

A variation found in the Appalachain mountains and the midwest is cornmeal mush, cooked the same way as grits and then poured into a mold and allowed to solidify. It is then sliced and fried, usually in bacon grease.
I often make "hasty pudding" - fresh hot mush made by mixing equal parts cornmeal & water then pour the batter into boiling salted water. (for example - 1/2 cup cornmeal - 1/2 cup water - pour into 1 1/2 cups boiling salted water) Stir until it thickens, then cover & cook for a few minutes. Served fresh & hot with honey poured over it makes a great dish.
Any leftovers can be cooled and sliced, then fried as you mention. Also good with just a bit of honey on it.
(we eat several quarts of honey each winter :wink: )

BTW Grizz - If you drive to Canada to buy a load of peameal bacon be sure to stop as you pass through Ohio and drop some off.
I'll be easy to find, when you pass through an area that smells like Irish Spring soap just head east for about 45 minutes. :lol:
wabi
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wabi wrote:
I often make "hasty pudding" - fresh hot mush made by mixing equal parts cornmeal & water then pour the batter into boiling salted water. (for example - 1/2 cup cornmeal - 1/2 cup water - pour into 1 1/2 cups boiling salted water) Stir until it thickens, then cover & cook for a few minutes. Served fresh & hot with honey poured over it makes a great dish.
Any leftovers can be cooled and sliced, then fried as you mention. Also good with just a bit of honey on it.
(we eat several quarts of honey each winter :wink: )
Yep. I can remember pestering my dear old grandma for a bowl of hot mush ... before it "set" ... ate it with molasses or homemade maple syrup!

Mmm, mmm.
:D
Grizz
wabi

Post by wabi »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
Yep. I can remember pestering my dear old grandma for a bowl of hot mush ... before it "set" ... ate it with molasses or homemade maple syrup!

Mmm, mmm.
:D
I also keep a gallon or two of real maple syrup on hand. :wink:
wabi
mikej

Post by mikej »

i'll tell ya what grizz. i'll make up some grits and try and you try out the peameal bacon and poutine we'll compare our country's different foods
franklarabie

peameal

Post by franklarabie »

Its great stuff nothing tastes like it and for camping it's super over a burning fire and cooks fast!!
Exocet200
Fast Flight string
Vari-zone scope
100gr wasps
-------------------
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

I don't know of anybody who doesn't like peameal bacon, Grizz. I like to toast an English muffin, add a slice of peameal bacon, a fried egg and a slice of cheese. It's making me hungry just thinking about it!
Jerry
mikej

Post by mikej »

Norlander wrote:I don't know of anybody who doesn't like peameal bacon, Grizz. I like to toast an English muffin, add a slice of peameal bacon, a fried egg and a slice of cheese. It's making me hungry just thinking about it!
Jerry
another great idea kinda like a mcdonalds breakfast sandwich only way better
catcher

Post by catcher »

Ya we have peameal bacon but you guy's have Jim Dean sausage. Now that is good stuff. I really do not like peameal I prefer bacon.
Matrix Blackout 380
TriggerTech
Phoenix
STS
Boo custom strings
Brampton Mike

Post by Brampton Mike »

Grizzly Adam wrote:
ecoaster wrote: peameal bacon and poutine canadas national food :lol: :lol: :lol:
I looked poutine up on Wikipedia ... french fries, cheese curds and gravy, huh? Looks like the Canuck version of heart-attack-on-a-plate!

Nothing like dying happy, though. :D :D :wink:

:lol: :lol: hey i'm a Canuck and i wouldn't eat that crap if i was starving....the frenchies like that sort of crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
If I can't hunt & fish in heaven....then I don't want to go!!!!!!!!!!

Vegetarian..............old Indian word for lousy hunter!