I Blew the Moose - UPDATE

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Mike P

I Blew the Moose - UPDATE

Post by Mike P »

I Blew the Moose

Well, if the truth be known, I blew the whitetail whose antlers look more reminiscent of moose antlers then whitetail antlers. Of course we are talking shape and makeup here, not size.

I have been aware of this buck for three years. And until this year, I had never laid eyes on him. Some of you may recall, I posted a picture of one of his sheds here on the forum. But this year he has been visiting a bean field most every evening. And I have been watching him.

I have a hunting philosophy about mature whitetail bucks and the times they are vulnerable during the hunting season. My history has taught me that there are three times when the big boys make mistakes. The first, and most unreliable, is very early in the season when you can find them on an afternoon food pattern. They are just now starting to size each other up but are still pretty comfortable with showing themselves during shooting hours as long as they have not encountered any human on the way to their food source. But this comfort level is on the edge and will only last a short period of time. In addition, it is not very precise. It is not as regimented as a very late season food pattern well after the rut and into mid to late January here in Ohio. That late pattern is when they are also vulnerable and the pattern is more regimented then the one at the beginning of the season. Of course the number one time when their vulnerability is the greatest is during the rut. Your chances for harvesting a "booner" are always at its peak at this stage of the season.

I had this palmated mature buck on such a pattern here the last week. I decided to make my move last night. I set up approximately two hundred yards from the field in the adjoining woods at the intersection of three trails. This is where two trails joined to form one and that single trail led to the bean field. I was pretty sure my "moose" was using one of those two trails to come to the field. He had emerged off of that single trail and into the bean field for six days prior to yesterday. I was hoping that my ambush site was also going to buy me some time as this big boy entered the field every night just at dark and right at the close of legal shooting hours. I was hoping he was staging earlier back in the woods and that I would have enough light to get the deal done.

And last night with fully fifteen minutes of legal shooting time left I saw him. He was indeed coming up one of the trails leading from the creek beds below the field and heading right for the junction of the trails. He was in no great hurry. He seemed to check out every piece of brush he walked by. And then while still some seventy yards from me he went into alert mode and looked over to his right, ears perked. I watched him and kept looking in the direction he was looking to see what had his attention.

I saw the other antlers before I saw the body. It was another buck. This was a buck I knew and he has also been visiting the same bean field. But I had never really seen these two guys together before. They had given each other a very wide berth out in the field. This buck was an eight point. He was also an older buck, but was a disappointment in the antler development area. He was actually better last year and I have passed on him several times when he was within my kill zone. I was hoping someone would kill this old buck but he is a wily old boy and has managed to live to a ripe old age. A hard winter could take him out this year, but I wouldn't bet against this old timer.

The palmated buck started walking directly towards the eight. The eight continued up the trail he was on towards the bean field. When the palmated buck cut the trail of the eight, he followed directly up the path taken by the eight.

Now I'm screwed. This was going to be a one shot do or die situation with this palmated buck. Now I have to figure out how to get out of the woods and not make my presence known to the two bucks that will be in the field. I know this food pattern is getting dicey and he won't be on it long and I will do almost anything to take another crack at this buck coming to the field. If he knows I am hunting him, he will vanish. I have to avoid the bean field.

I made a tough decision. I climbed down and packed the stand on my back. I headed down to the creek bottom on an angle away from the direction the palmated buck had come. I didn't want to do this, the climb back up from the creek was going to be a real pain in the ass. And by the time I started it, it was also going to be dark.

Long story short, it took me an hour. At the conclusion of this "bataan death march" I swore I didn't care if I ever laid eyes on the palmated bastard again.

Good thing I won't feel that way late this afternoon. Oh, and when you saw the title of this thing you just had to read it, admit it!
Last edited by Mike P on Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
maple

Post by maple »

I'll stay tuned for episode two.

Go get 'im Mike.
saxman

Post by saxman »

When that Irish spring gets in the woods you wont see him again.

Good luck with him Mike
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
huntman

Post by huntman »

good luck this afternoon!
Last edited by huntman on Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Expext the unexpected! Good luck with Bowinkle Mike!
wabi

Post by wabi »

And I expected a story from the famous old tale "Antlers in The Tree Tops / Who goosed the moose?. :lol:
Good luck on recovering and going after him again.
Last edited by wabi on Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wabi
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

whew, thanks for the story, good luck getting that wall hanger,

I got worried about our moose population for a minute when I saw the title... "I blew the moose"... sounded kinky...Hah, hah!
Frank and a 2005 Exomax
mikew

Post by mikew »

Mike,
Thanks for the latest Chapter.
I do look forward to the next installment.
-Mike
saxman

Post by saxman »

The thread title threw me for a loop.

Thought maybe you were having money trouble!!!! :shock: :shock:

I took my car to the shop one time,the mechanic said I blew a seal,I told him to fix the damn thing and leave my personal life out of it :? :? :?
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

I remember the pic of that shed. Good luck w/ him, he is a real trophy.
"Eze 18:21"
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Looking forward to reading "The Continued Adventures Of Mike and The Moose" :lol: :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
pdislow

Post by pdislow »

hang in there and get him soon!
thanks philip
saxman

Post by saxman »

I tried not to I really did :shock: :? :shock: :?
Scott

Take a kid hunting

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

bstout wrote:
saxman wrote:The thread title threw me for a loop.

Thought maybe you were having money trouble!!!! :shock: :shock:

I took my car to the shop one time,the mechanic said I blew a seal,I told him to fix the damn thing and leave my personal life out of it :? :? :?
I knew someone was going to comment.

I had my money on Awshucks.

Bob, yer a hoot! Actually, I got the video Sax swiped the punch line outta, but it's a little too risque imo.
"Eze 18:21"
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Y'all need help. :lol: :wink:

Hope you master the moose soon, Mike.
Grizz