Cures for the Shakes

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Boo

Post by Boo »

flbuckmaster wrote:I "get mad at the deer" I will cuss under my breath and blame them for all the trouble they have put me through. works for me

jay
Jay, you're a Red Neck! LOL!
Buck fever for many is adrenaline. Very difficult to control but with time and enough exposure you can control the affect on your body. I still get the same rush when any deer steps in front of me but it does not seem to affect my shooting anymore.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
maple

Post by maple »

I've had that happen.
:shock:
The only thing I could do to stop from shaking was to pretend I was just relaxing in front of the TV watching the sports channel. Just sitting there nice and calm and relaxing. Just relaxing.....

Then you pick the hair on the hair of the deer and follow through.
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

Great advise has already been listed.

I scout early in August - cut and trim as needed and GPS all my spots. That way I do not have to worry about problems with twigs later. I also practice my shots in a tree and from the ground - confidence is high up to 35 yards.

Breathing is key and practice aiming. I go through where the deer will come in, what I will do and slowly go through the scene in my mind as well as with the bow. I also take opportunity to look at the tree rats, grouse or any other game through the scope - picking the shot placement and run through the shot in my mind - gently pulling the trigger, the release and the post shot routine (keep looking through the scope - listen for the hit - mark the spot the bolt should end up - mark where the deer goes...). All that is gone through in my head many times each sit. It seems to happen so fast up to and after the shot that if you are not prepared mentally you will have difficulty getting all the fine details that may be the difference.

I have no shakes any more (except when I see a really big buck). The adrenaline is still there but very manageable.
DanO

Post by DanO »

Thanks for all the advise. I'm 56 and I've hunted all of my life but not for deer. It really is an unusual adrenaline rush. It's exciting hunting other game but deer seem to push my buttons. I agree with the fact that you sure never want to lose the rush but I need to control it so that I can make the good shot.

I'm in the bush or on streams daily but that deer thing isn't quite the same. Seeing more deer would definitly help and the breathing control is important. I usually forget to breath. On the last shot the deer was walking and I forgot to make a subtle noise to get her to stop. Not too worked UP!

thanks again folks.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Boo

Post by Boo »

DanO wrote:It really is an unusual adrenaline rush. It's exciting hunting other game but deer seem to push my buttons.

Dan O.
Try meeting up with a bear on foot, with or without a gun :shock:
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Normous

Post by Normous »

It was my second season od my deer hunting passion before I saw my first deer in the woods. The doe was at least 200 yards away and traveling away from me. I almost came unglued in my tree stand. I could hardly control my breathing and I was shaking in a bad way. That was 18 years ago. Today, with 18 years of deer hunting under my belt I'm happy that those early breath taking feellings are gone. The rush is very much there, but I'm very calm just before the killing shot. Time and experience helped in that regard.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
jaybird

Cure for the shakes

Post by jaybird »

Take up wildlife photography in the off season. You will get used to holding steady for that perfect shot,hone up on your stalking skills, and get in your preseason scouting.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

flbuckmaster wrote:I "get mad at the deer" I will cuss under my breath and blame them for all the trouble they have put me through. works for me
jay
The first season I hunted deer ('84 or '85?) I remember wondering what I'd do when the shot opportunity finally presented itself. Would I hesitate? Would emotion stop me? Would I suddenly see "Bambi"? Would I have 2nd thoughts? I'd spent several days slugging through the knee-deep snow, watching distant deer bounding away far out of range, a few -20 nights sleeping in the cab of a truck. By the time I had the chance to shoot I was mad at the deer and able to pull the trigger without hesitation.:lol: I came home from that experience convinced that deer have the upper hand/hoof 99.5% of the time in our encounters.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Dan O, one word.

Vodka
Sopchoppy

shakes

Post by Sopchoppy »

Back in the military days, they taught you to think about "BRAS". I still use it and it works.

Breathe
Relax
Aim
Squeeze
huntman

Post by huntman »

jay

Right On that is pretty much what i do as well!! My whispers are pretty much like this "your f*^%ing dead!!" lol
DanO

Post by DanO »

Boo: I worked in Algonquin for 2 summers with MNR and I still have a camp on the east side of the Park. Bears don't set the heart rate off unless it's in the campsite at night and it refuses to leave. Now if I was hunting one I'd be worked up with the potential for a pissed off wounded bear.

Vodka, eh Mike P! Beer doesn't seem to be working so maybe a change is in order. How long before the hunt should I take the meds?? :D

Dan O.
mikej

Post by mikej »

where is your acmp on the eastside of the park?
mikej

Post by mikej »

camp
DanO

Post by DanO »

My wife has a camp in Achray on Grand Lake and I have my own camp at Stonecliffe below Mattawa. Zone 48 so no moose or deer tags.

Dan O.