Crossbow String Replacement Question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Yellowlab823

Crossbow String Replacement Question

Post by Yellowlab823 »

Being new to crossbow hunting and reading Groundpounders topic about the broken string has raised a question. If you break/damage a string in the field, can you replace it with a new one and still be accurate or is scope sighting in required. I know resighting would be the best thing to do, but when you hike in to hunt, sighting in might not be a so easy and it would be disapointing to have to call it a day.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Yellow lab that is why there is the two lines scribed into the mainframe .Pick your mark and twist the string to match that again .Shooting competition I changed strings more than enough times and had no change in sighting .
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Doe Master is correct. i carry a string & stringer in my pack while hunting, be prepared best way to go
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It is best to use a used string as a backup, new ones can creep a bit during the first few shots. I like to break in a new one, then take it off and store it, that way I never have to worry about the activity that happens in a new string.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
saxman

Post by saxman »

Pydpiper wrote:It is best to use a used string as a backup, new ones can creep a bit during the first few shots. I like to break in a new one, then take it off and store it, that way I never have to worry about the activity that happens in a new string.
X'2
Shoot in your back up string and there will be no problem
I keep the stringer and a back up string in my pack.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Normous

Post by Normous »

X3,
I break in a new string then carry it in the field as a back up. I might add, that I have never needed it in 16 years of crossbowhunting. I can easily swap mine without the stringer as well.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
mikej

Post by mikej »

i agree i carry a spare as well just in case. just put your brace height back and you'll be fine
Boo

Post by Boo »

If you mark the brace height with a paint dot on the side of the rail or use an STS Bob's your uncle!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

If you mark the brace height with a paint dot on the side of the rail or use an STS Bob's your uncle!
:D :D :D "Uncle Bob" told me [here] to tie my loops together w/ twistie tie on broke in spare; goes back on to same bheight.
"Eze 18:21"
Boo

Post by Boo »

awshucks wrote:
:D :D :D "Uncle Bob" told me [here] to tie my loops together w/ twistie tie on broke in spare; goes back on to same bheight.
LOL! Uncle Bob has good advice!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wabi

Post by wabi »

About the only time point of impact will be off (usually only very slightly) is if you change types of strings (excel to fastflight flemish for example).
Anytime I change a string I like to take a couple practice shots just to confirm accuracy, though.
wabi
dick195252

Post by dick195252 »

I have a spare that i have broke in and Know when i put it on it is Right on the numbers with my old brace height marked :!:
Exomax, Lumizone, Boo String, NRA, ACf, Member, [Proud Grandpa!!!]
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

dick195252 wrote:I have a spare that i have broke in and Know when i put it on it is Right on the numbers with my old brace height marked :!:
Same here - I use identicle strings. My back up has a warn serving but other then that is in great shape. Is a great back up as it is the same as my primary. You never know when you might nick your primary with a broad head or even just have it wear beyond use.

When I have a 40 minute walk into a couple of spots in the dark I really dont have the tme to hike back out and get back to stand in time.

MC