Hunting Headlamps

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Turtleman

Hunting Headlamps

Post by Turtleman »

I would like to take a poll and see how many people use the colored LED head lamps and some close encounters with deer with various colors of lights? :?: I just got a red headlamp and just would like to get others opinions on colors they use to get to and from the stands without spooking game! :!:
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
wabi

Post by wabi »

I use a Petzl "Zipka Plus" headlight for both hunting and work. I see thay have a filter kit available, but I have always just used the light as-is.
http://www.amazon.com/Petzl-E48-PBY-Hea ... B0000EI9BG
I like it because it is so small, easy to adjust the position on your head, and has adequate light for walking and a lot of blood trailing jobs.
wabi
gruntahunta

Post by gruntahunta »

I forget the brand name but i use the red light for tending the animals i have and for moving around in the feild when hunting at night and find it doesn't spook animals as much as white light or fish for that mater and helps my night vision when not using the light at all.
responsible hunters are true conservationists and game managers.
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

I got a cheap energizer one form Home Depot - I am pretty sure it was under $20. Having owned some more expensive Petzl I have been very happy with this less expensive one. It has a red LED plus 4 white LED bulbs.

I have seen glowing eyes when going in and out of the bush but never been able to ID what they belonged to. I have found the red does not hurt my night vision and gives me adequate light so I am not tripping over stuff. It does not have enough power to light up more then 20 yards in front of me though - why I am not getting close enough to the glowing eyes to ID the animals.

With my old Petzl I did get somewhat near some deer (about 50 yards). I believe they can see the light but have no idea how far (or near) it is. It does grab their attention though.

MC
saxman

Post by saxman »

I use a Buckmaster GREEN headlamp and have never spooked a deer.
It also saves my night vision
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Turtleman

Post by Turtleman »

I appreciate it fellas. I have seen these new green LED's and have wondered about them as well. I'm very particular about my hunting and like to stay as unnoticed as possible , just like i go to and from my stands very quiet. Like i say i appreciate the input and hope everyone is having or will have a good and safe hunting season!
Don't put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
deerman

Post by deerman »

Deer only see light in the color bands of yellow and blue, so if you have a hunters orange vest on it will appear to the deer as a bright yellow vest. The same goes for the light, it will appear as a bright light to them in either the blue or yellow tones. This research was done by Dr.Karl Miller and Brian Murphy of QDMA.
Constitution states "That all power is inheret in the people:that ...it is their right & duty to be at all times armed"...Thomas Jefferson 1824.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

Light is light to a deer, or any other animal for that matter.
Red filters are designed to keep the human pupil from dilating when exposed to light to prevent or at least slow the destruction of our natural night vision.
I have had my eye on these headlamps, I am not really a headlamp guy but these look pretty cool. One uses lithium 123A cells, the other uses simple AA cells, and now I see there is a third, but no info yet. The AA version has lots of cool accessories by the looks of it.
This site is owned by David, the same guy who owns fenix-store.com, outstanding reputation in the flashlight world.

https://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath ... 1d5c2b8df5
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
liaf

Post by liaf »

I purchased a headlamp from cabelas 2 yrs ago its called the Alaskan Guide it has a white light bulb in the center and 3 green lights around the perimeter.It operates on 3 AA cells. I use the green ones alot since it doesn't interfere with my night vision. I notice that during bow season I see the reflective eyes of deer out to about 50-60 yards. As long as I deviate to one side and keep the distance the same the deer just stand there until i past them. I use the white light only if I am trying to follow a blood trail at dusk/dark but found out my friend's hand held light which throws off a "blueish" light picks up the blood trail a lot better.
Vortex, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point --Phoenix, Boo String, Zeiss Z-Point.