Any Good Cooking Ideas For The Deer......

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bow4it

Any Good Cooking Ideas For The Deer......

Post by bow4it »

This is my first year out with my New Vortex. ( I was tired of the Horton mishaps) So far I was able to take 4 Doe from several different hunting spots. I kept 3 deer for myself and I always donate the rest to the food bank. They can never get enough deer meat and all I need to do is tell the butcher to donate it and he takes care of everything. I got alot of deer dogs, Brats, jerky, slim jims and a variety of sausages. I am looking for some new cooking ideas for the backstraps and the ground meat. My wife does a great job with most of the cooking, but just looking for that secret dish that someone has hidden in their pocket.

Love that new vortex :D
wabi

Post by wabi »

I like to have those tough old backstraps sliced thin (1/4" - 3/8") when I get it processed. When my 8 year old looks at a deer he ususally comments something like, "Dad, that one should have plenty of nice backstrap meat in it." :roll:
Unfortunately I've never got past recipe #1 in my cooking. My wife works second shift, so I cook the evening meal for me and my son, and I believe "quick and easy" is the best way to go.
I heat the old cast iron skillet with just enough cooking oil added to prevent sticking. Throw in the backstraps and brown them well, then add a can of either golden mushroom or cream of mushroom soup and about 1/2 can water. Cover and simmer (stir occasionally). When I put the lid on the skillet I jump to putting a can of biscuits in the oven. When the biscuits are done, we're ready to eat!
Serve a veggie on the side, some fruit for dessert, and you have a simple meal that satisfies.

For ground meat I like about any recipe used for regular beef. I do add (and mix in by hand) about 1/4 volume crushed saltines when I press burgers. It seems to bind the meat together a little better since deer is very low fat. A taco salad with taco meat from ground venison is one of my favorite recipes.
wabi
Cossack

Venison recipes

Post by Cossack »

This should give you some variety

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/inxven.html
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

I like to use a half a can of mushroom soup one half can of cream of celery soup put my meat in a crock pot and cook it over night makes a great lunch for work and left over supper.Also try a marinade called clovervalley marinade.Marinade over night, heat some oil in a skillet fry fast for a few minutes to sear the meat thin fry slow until done.
Sopchoppy

cooking

Post by Sopchoppy »

My favorite is small strips of tenderloin marinated in Zick's Venson Seasoning & olive oil; wrap in 1/2 strip of bacon; secure with toothpick; cook on the grill. My wife isn't crazy about venison, but she'll fight me for these.