G 5 Montec

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

groundpounder wrote:
Also, we would probably be better off with blades that actually bend. That way, they hit a bone and curve around and keep cutting meat, which is where the blood vessels are located, not in the bone. A bending blade could also cause some odd cutting in a twisting motion . . .that would cause severe damage. A bending blade would not lose energy in the bone and prevent the arrow from a pass through.
Sumner didn't your last shot with expandables break two blades off and not bend? I know I'm rehashing an older post on expandable vs fixed but I think this point should be made here. I know you stated there was still alot of damage done but what if those blades broke off on the entrance hole instead of the exit. You would not have had near the cutting surfaces on the pass through.
Todd . . .no problem, it's a good discussion. Those blades didn't break, well, I recovered one of them . . .it didn't break, it was bent. One broke off upon entry and one broke off during exit. I could determine that from the wounds. I wish I had taken pictures. The screws holding the blades came loose and allowed the blades to separate from the ferrule. I've discussed the issue with Trophy Ridge(and sent them some pictures) and they determined it was a durability issue with the ferrule. Ferrrule durability is a common concern for both types of heads. Anyway, they figured I had gotten some broadheads that were manufactured before Trophy Ridge bought Areohead. They sent me some new ones to try, I got them today. They look the same. I'll let you know how they perform. According to Trophy Ridge, ferrule durability was a concern when they made the purchase a year ago and they have made some adjustments.

By the way, that big buck still dropped within sight. I think I may have gotten lucky, but, it's happened to three deer. All three dropped within sight. However, for whatever the reason, the other two didn't have a pass through(I was using Hammerheads). Therefore, I didn't know if the issue was faulty ferrules or the deer falling on the broadhead. I didn't inspect the ferrule. I'm getting educated. They also thought it was an issue specifically associated to the higher speed bows, I was using my Exomax.

That's why we as hunters must present the facts to the manufacturers when we have an issue. Not only does it give us an education, but, it also allows the manufacturer to fix the problem. If we can get some soild fixes, then we are all better off. I was planning to bring this news to the forum after I got a deer with the "new" broadheads.
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
bob-s

re sharpness

Post by bob-s »

I have to speak up and agree with DMc on the sharpness.

I use a safety razor and yes it takes a lot more time for a nick on the face to clot than a scratch from thorn or the pet cat play fighting etc.

Also favor the bigger cut idea. Hope to try the mechanical out this fall yet on a deer. :)

Bob.
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Now isn't this better than discussing politics?
:lol:
I have to admit the blood trailis hard but I am also a novice.
Both deer I shot had broken ribs from the entry of the arrow.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
Hoss

Post by Hoss »

I sharpen my G5s with a rough stone.. i pull my G5s backwards as a sharpen 10 passes per sdie..under a microscope it looks like tine serations leaning forward its nasty it cuts really well and Bob is right about blood trails if they blade comes out from a high angle you will have good trail if the shot is from the ground and high you may not have much as the lungs fill instead of spilling on the ground I WILL SAY if im hunting a very thick area that is hard to find deer I use a rocket buck blaster mech..it will put a huge hole in the deer and they go abot 60 yds and done..However the G5s are my favorite becaus efo sharpening..

Hoss .good luck fellas
Dedicated.... ta all the sweet Bucks yet ta die!
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

150GR SNUFFERS 1 15/16 CUTTING EDGE CHEAPER THAN MOST BH,28.00 BUCKS FOR SIX AT CABELAS. THESE ARE A LONG TIME FRIENDS OF MINE. SHOOT FROM TREE WITH THESE LEAVES A TERRIBLE HOLE IN ANY THING THAT BLEEDS,MAY TAKE TIME TO TUNE BUT WELL WORTH IT
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Been doing a little research on bleeding. I can't find anything that supports super sharp is better than sharp. Or a certain blade angle/edge is better for blood flow. Looks like the bigger the cut, the better. And sharp enough to cut instead of push is the key.

I'll keep looking. Lots of interesting ways we can keep the blood from clotting . . .but, they are all illegal. :evil:

I don't think there has been any government funds going into humane cutting research. Maybe I can head the project. :wink:

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

It makes sense the exit hole being lower will leak more. So does this really mean it doesn't matter wether we use mechanicals or fixed as long as the exit is lower?

I don't want to start a war by any means, just wondering other than possible accuracy gains, does it matter which head to use?

How about shot placement, do you guys aim behind the front leg, or is it better to plant it on the shoulder blade, catch the heart, lungs and lessen the chance of escape. Since there is nowhere near the meat damage like a bullet, is this a viable option?

I'm of rifle background, and aim behind the blade to minimize meat damage.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

It really doesn't matter if you use a fixed blade or a mechanical as far as creating a blood trail goes.

Starting a war? Too late for that, broadhead war has been going on for years now. :lol:

Shot placement . . .broadheads will not drive through bones like your rifle. Shoulders are usually a stopping point for an arrow and you never get to the heart, lungs. I try and hit snuggly against the front leg, depending on the angle, about 1/3 of the way up the body. Quartering away, a little further away from the leg.

The only thing I know for a fact, the bigger the cut, the quicker the deer will bleed out . . .everything else being equal. I'll stick with my 2" cut , three blade broadheads and not worry about tracking until a deer makes it out of sight. So far, that hasn't happened.

Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
saxman

Post by saxman »

bstout wrote:Many folks concentrate on the physical location of the entry wound (during the shot) and hope for a pass through not thinking about where the arrow is going to come out.

Trailing a deer with no exit wound at all (arrow inside) can be a real challenge. Many times just specs of blood to follow if that.

The two blade broadheads usually give an automatic exit wound. They're cutting from the second they touch until the time they exit and squander very little energy. Pass-throughs/exit wounds happen almost every time from these super efficient hunting heads even when shot from a 35 pound longbow.

The key is to get the exit wound as low as possible on the animal so they can leak...a lot.
I am in total agrement with you.
I try to visualize the path my arrow will take and put the POI where it will make that happen

My 6 point from the ladder stand was quartering to me and my arrow entered in front of the right shoulder,went through the vitals and exited breaking the last rib on the other side.
It fell and died within easy sight,That was with the G5 Montec.
If you look close by my left knee you can see the entrance wound

2006 Michigan Doe with Montec,Basicly the same shot,Entrance wound is just below the cocking stirrup of the ExoMax

Heart shot

Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
bait pile willie

Post by bait pile willie »

good blood trails are usually the result of the broadhead cutting major arteries in the lungs or heart.it doesnt matter what broadhead you use if this doest happen.an arrow can pass through and cut onl small veins and arteries but the end result is the same,fatal shot.a low exit hole also is important.dull blade blades will push arteries aside beccause the are very elastic in makeup. if yiu cut your hand on a sharp instrument it alwys bleeds more than a dull rough cut.