Best dates to rattle

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

BryanOney

Best dates to rattle

Post by BryanOney »

I have never done much rattling for deer. I just feel strange making all that noise in the woods. This year I am going to try it again and hope I do not start laughing. I live in northern Ohio. Can anyone give me a heads up on the dates that you have had success rattling on at similar latitudes. Thanks Bryan Oney
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Hi Bryan! I`m betting you`re going to get a wide range of answers to that question. Some say rattle anytime, some say tickle the antlers quietly together unless it`s strong pre-rut and then rattle furiously, rake and stomp. Others say rattle loud all the time. Some will say never rattle. Should make for an interesting thread! :lol:
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

Bryan in are area rattling has little pay off since we have such a bad buck to doe ratio. Im not saying it doesn't work well for curiosity ,but if your looking to kill a mature buck? Chances are you will be disappointed in your rattling response. If you are going to try it. Id do some tine tickling for another week week and a half. When we go full chase anythings fair game! Good luck in whatever you decided.
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

I just received the Knight and Hale ultimate whitetail deer hunting Xi videos and there is some interesting info and footage on calling and rattling in there...
May the scope be clear and the big racks in range!!
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I bet they have great success with Knight and Hale products?
Camper

Post by Camper »

TV shows and actual hunting are wayyyyyyyyy different! :o

Unless its Jim Shockey!!! 8)
Time and Patience the best advice my Grandfather gave me.

Camper
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Bryan, I agree with Fred Bear, I think you will be doing more harm then good by rattling in Northern Ohio. Here in southern Ohio it is the same deal. The buck/doe ratio is such that bucks do not respond well to rattling.

You would be well served to rely on grunt calls and doe bleats and forgo rattling.

When I go home once a year to hunt in Texas the only way I hunt is rattling. On our ranch they come running to horns clashing faster then crazy farmer pulls out his credit card when the new Cabelas arrives in the mail.
Last edited by Mike P on Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
fuzzy

Post by fuzzy »

Last edited by fuzzy on Sat Nov 24, 2012 10:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bayou Stalker

Post by Bayou Stalker »

Fellow "Southern Attack" Teammates, ignore the following it only works in other areas. :wink:

Rattle loudly, early, and often. Results are best when you rattle using an antler in the left hand and a cow bell in the right hand while singing row row row your boat. The deer will gather broadsided around your stand with their eyes closed.

Guaranteed or your money back!
Kendall
08 ExoMax
Boo String
GroundPounder quiver mount
Varizone
CrazyFarmer CowWacker Bolts (brass, 2" Predators)
Rage 3 Blades
Ben S.

Post by Ben S. »

I have shot many monster bucks using that method Bayou Stalker. You forgot to mention the " while lifting your left leg at the same time" part.
DanO

Post by DanO »

The bush lots I hunt are so small, I could ask the buck watching me how to rattle properly. Any noise (even grunts) seems to just draw their attention and then they work their way around until they find a way to wind me. I'm with the sit quiet on a good run crowd.

Dan O.
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

Mike P wrote: When I go home once a year to hunt in Texas the only way I hunt is rattling. On our ranch they come running to horns clashing faster then crazy farmer pulls out his credit card when the new Cabelas arrives in the mail.
:P :P

I havent really had great luck rattling, but just over the past few years Ive started to get some good bucks to come in. I use to be balls to the wall death match sounding and never saw a buck. But I recently switched gears to rattling very easy. Just a small sparring type sound. Normally lasts about 10-15seconds. The buck I just took came into that. But I also only rattle if I know its 2-3 different bucks in that woods atleast. I know its 7-8 on the farm I killed the one I did on so rattling works better that way. Also, I normally only ratle when i see the smaller bucks starting to spar. Too soon you can spook deer but on a cold morning it can work wonders.

always... always......when rattling, setup to shoot downwind of you.
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

ONLY WORKS IN TEXAS, AND ON TV. GOOD ONE KENDALL :)

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers