Rut

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Guigsy

Rut

Post by Guigsy »

Just wondering if any of you knowledgeable folks have any predictions on when the rut will start for eastern (north of highway 7) ontario. I'm a fairly new hunter (this will be my 4th year, maybe 5th) and brand new crossbow hunter (1st year). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Guigsy
dutchhunter

rut

Post by dutchhunter »

we usually star to see it the last week of oct thru the first two weeks of nov this can change by a week or two depending on temp
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

it starts when the first doe comes in heat... could be next week or 3 weeks from now :lol:

its no definite pattern to it because Ive seen bucks breeding the last week in Oct and some starting the 2nd week in Nov different years
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

IT comes down to the new moon, and the lack of day light hours, shorter days

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
Norlander

Post by Norlander »

The bucks are ready now. I saw a beauty north-west of Lindsay last Thursday and his neck looked like it belonged to a Hereford bull. He walked out of the cedars directly in front of me at about 35 yards and stared at me for about 10-12 seconds before turning around and going back into the thick stuff. I think I'm going to have to get some black clothes and balaclava to match the inside of my Ameristep doghouse. A doe came out an hour earlier and gave me the evil eye for close to five minutes before snorting and taking off without offering a shot. I felt like I had a big neon flashing sign that said DEER BEWARE, in whitetail language, of course!
Jerry
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Norlander wrote:... I think I'm going to have to get some black clothes and balaclava to match the inside of my Ameristep doghouse. ....Jerry
Jerry - I often just turn my camo jacket inside out once I get into my blind as the lining is black - especially when it gets cold and I want as many layers as possible.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
fuel80guy

Post by fuel80guy »

According to Charles Alshiemer of deer and deer hunting magazine the rut will start later this year due to the full moon.His prediction is based on 15 years of research of both penned deer and wild deer.Basically they say it will be after the full moon of the fall equinox which was on october 14th.The next full moon is November 13th.Im already seeing some signs of the prerut with the younger bucks pushing does around.Basically these young bucks are raring to go but the does arent in estrous,,,frustrating.Its kinda like being a teenaged boy,,,poor buggers. :D
boogap

Post by boogap »

I like it vix. You must be part scottish (CHEAP) like me!
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

I'd be grateful for a later start this year as I haven't had the chance to get out yet. It will be another week or so before I'm free to go. Been driving me crazy not to get out. Have had to settle for living vicariously through the rest of you all... for now.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
mikej

Post by mikej »

it is usually around the first week of the gun hunt here which is the first week in november
Sliver

Post by Sliver »

mikej wrote:it is usually around the first week of the gun hunt here which is the first week in november
I agree, we usually see the signs first week or two of November... depending on the temp.
Exocet 175
Munch Mount
ComfyBear String
DaGriz Knife
Guigsy

Post by Guigsy »

Thanks for the replies. I'm heading into our camp next wednesday the 29th for a few days of bow before the rifle hunt on the monday. I'll be in there for approx. 10 days. Can't wait to get there.