HELLO! NEW GUY, NEW CROSSBOW! THE PHOENIX!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Welcome! You will like the Phoenix. I know I do.
opossum

Post by opossum »

I bought the phoenix package last year .It is a great crossbow.The only things extra I bought was some wax,stringer,extra string and cocking aid .Call Dan Miller he can hook you up with everything.I will not shoot at a deer over 30 yards myself.That is just my opinoin.Good luck
Benu

Post by Benu »

Welcome to the Forum!

You'll love the Phoenix, I just got mine with the Package that others have mentioned. The only thing additional I purchased was a soft carrying case, because of the hunting regulations where I live.

As for range, at the 3D range I am very comfortable shooting from 50 yards at the whitetail targets. However I can notice the time between the shot being fired and the sound of the bolt hitting the target. This is my first season with the xbow and I have pace out my shooting lane at 20 yards and plan to wait until the buck is in that zone.

Have fun and these guys on here are great, very supportive and full of knowledge. I have learned a ton in the short time I have been a member.
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
maple

Post by maple »

Welcome PA Hunter,

You'll hear about all the bells and whistles here. I hunted with a naked bow for a while before pimping it up, and it worked just fine.

You'll gain confidence with your bow as you use it and will find your own comfort level. Personally I've never shot at a deer over 27 yards distance. No need to. The objective is to get close and make a clean, humaine kill. Too-long shots can lead to a multitude of problems. You'll decide yourself.

Enjoy.

Maple
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

WELCOME, DOE MASTER SAID IT RIGHT GOOD LUCK

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
mikej

Post by mikej »

maple wrote:Welcome PA Hunter,

You'll hear about all the bells and whistles here. I hunted with a naked bow for a while before pimping it up, and it worked just fine.

You'll gain confidence with your bow as you use it and will find your own comfort level. Personally I've never shot at a deer over 27 yards distance. No need to. The objective is to get close and make a clean, humaine kill. Too-long shots can lead to a multitude of problems. You'll decide yourself.

Enjoy.

Maple
i had to read that twice i thought you said you hunted naked with a bow for a while :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:
ranger

Post by ranger »

Welcome PA Hunter...Congrats on your new Baby I mean Bow :wink: .
Y25, Axiom SMF
Matrix 380 Blackout
Turbo XLT. Stealth SS
Mission MXB 360
Free Men Dont Ask To Bear Arms.
cdup

Post by cdup »

Welcome and congrats on a quality crossbow. :)
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Bluefish024

Post by Bluefish024 »

Good choice and welcome Pa.. Not only did you get a reliable bow you will get reliable Info from the lady's and gent's here..
Phoenix for Mrs/ Exocet 200 for me
Vari-zone / CompM3 Aimpoint
Boo strings
STS systems
New and improved,,,,kiss of death bolts...
Grizzly Adam

Post by Grizzly Adam »

Welcome, PA Hunter! :D

All you have to remember is that crossbow hunting IS bowhunting.

It's just that simple. 8)
Grizz
radio2operate

Post by radio2operate »

You made a great choice buying an Excalibur crossbow.I bought one a few weeks back and could not be happier.I did much searching on this forum and other web sites before I decided on Excalibur. It is a quality piece of gear and a joy to shoot.I also shot an 8 point a couple weeks ago which makes it even better.You can shot one a 40 yards but in the woods that can sometimes be a long shot.
Fishn-Hunter

Post by Fishn-Hunter »

Welcome, as many has said before there truly is ALOT of knowledge here in our family of forum members, read it and listen to it, these guys know what they are talkin about. The only thing I can think of that you might want to consider that I don't think anyone mentioned is a quality range finder. Excal also offers an accessory that allows you to mount your range finder to your scope if you are using one, it works great keeps your range finder right there handy at your beckon call. Also a quality target, these bows are fast and hard hitting so things to look for in a target would be things like stopping power, ability to use field points and broad-heads and another big thing is arrow removal. I use a morrell six shooter it has been a great target for both field points and broad-heads. I shoot aluminum bolts so arrow removal is easy, carbons seem to be a little tougher to remove from this target but I have been using the same target for 6 or 7 years now and is still stopping them. I also like that I can take the target apart if I need to, sometimes especially with carbons when you pull your bolt out of a target your broad-head and insert will stay in the target. Being able to take the target apart to retrieve your broad-head and insert without ruining your target is a bonus. Every one here has a target they like to use and would recommend, all have advantages and disadvantages so it comes down to personal preference. Hope this was helpful to you.
Fishn-Hunter
Family, Friends, Huntn & Fishn