Post by Benu »

Congrats Wabi!
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
wabi

Post by wabi »

Just noticed in the pic the temporary tag is missing. I had moved the buck to level ground in the creek bed for evisceration before I took the pic. When I got to the truck I noticed the temp tag was missing :? so I filled out another and attached it. I use tags I purchase online, so I have to print my own temp tags and I use adhesive labels to print them. I guess I pulled it off in moving the buck and hadn't noticed at that point.
I may have to go back to my old system of a ziplock bag for the tag, and a zip-tie to attach it. :roll:

I should have also mentioned the Phoenix is now wearing a new vari-zone scope which has provided excellent accuracy to this point. I sighted in with the crosshair zeroed at 25 yards instead of 20, so if I forget the range marks in the excitement of a shot I will still be in the kill zone out to 30 yards. In this case I remembered the 15 yard mark and put the arrow exactly where I wanted it. :lol:
The bucks seem to be starting to move up here in northern Ohio also. Hope I can put one down like you did.
Bryan,
The bucks are chasing does & sniffing butts like crazy. :lol:
My buddy, the landowner, missed a buck from that same stand 2 days ago and 15 minutes later it was back in the field checking another group of does. :shock: :lol: :lol:
I had actually used a scent drag in the bean field to make a trail to my stand, then hung the estrous doe scented drag(a white faux fur strip)on a low branch near my stand so it could move in the breeze. The wind was quite gusty, and this buck came in from the downwind side. From his actions I'd say he was smelling the scent and making sure he wasn't walking in on a bigger buck. :lol: He was staying in heavy cover on his approach. When he hit the edge of the field where I have the stand he was out of the thick brush but staying close to it, and focused on the area where the drag was hanging. He turned and (it looked to me like that was his plan) started to circle downwind when he hit a clear shooting lane. A low "baaaaa" and he froze - so I launched the arrow! At 15 yards it was through him and buried in the ground before he reacted. I love to hear that dull "thump" as it hits where aimed! :D
If you can get out, the chances of getting a buck should be good for the next 10-12 days. After that the bucks will be hard to find for a week or so. :lol:
wabi
wabi

Post by wabi »

M&M wrote:way to go wabi hey where are you located at I have some family down in the southern part of the state near a small town called oak hill next bigger town is jackson. beautiful country down that way M&M
I'm about halfway between Oak Hill & Cincinnati, but farther south. 35 mi west of Portsmouth and not too far north of the Ohio river.
wabi
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

congrats on the Buck, so the rack isn't big its the freezer full that counts.
i don't cull them i just count them. every tick toter i put in the freezer helps with cost at the meat market! :D
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Kelley

Post by Kelley »

WAY TO GO WABI!!!! I lived in Columbus several years ago and traveled U.S. 62 S from Columbus to Robison County Ky(Mount Olivet). to visit my Brother. Harvested my first KY bunc there in 1971. 7 deer taken in that county that year.
Kelley
Exocet 200
Varizone
Boo String
Groundpounder Mount
Crazy Farmer's CowWhackers
STS
Spitfire
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

way to go wabi and what a day to miss school and be in the woods with dad. so when is the big party going to be?
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

Congrats!
mdcrossbow

Post by mdcrossbow »

Congratulations wabi, I know it's neet when you have some good old father son relationship.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

wabi wrote: I'm about halfway between Oak Hill & Cincinnati, but farther south. 35 mi west of Portsmouth and not too far north of the Ohio river.
I hope you don't have to go to Portsmouth to often. Im there a couple times a week usually, and man that towns depressed!
maple

Post by maple »

Congratulations Wabi and well done!!

A smaller rack means more energy went into building that bigger body. Doesn't it?

Feast time :D
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

Congratulations wabi., nice buck!
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Good job wabi!