A great morning to be out

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

A great morning to be out

Post by wabi »

Since I've filled my buck tag and have a fall turkey in the freezer I had the bright idea to get up and take the new PCP air rifle out for a squirrel hunt. A cool morning (mid 40s F), but far from cold and almost no wind blowing. Tried my blind by the feeder to watch the sun rise and several songbirds soon arrived to greet the day. Soon after daylight a 4 point buck walked past the blind, but no squirrels showed up. I decided to walk through the wood along the creek. I approached the old beaver pond and walked up on a flock of 15 or 20 turkeys at water's edge about 25 yards away. They looked me over and continued slowly on their way without any signs of panic. I could have easily popped one in the head, but of course I've already filled my tag and air rifles aren't legal for turkeys here.
I moved on off through the woods in search of a squirrel, and the turkeys seemed to follow me! I could hear them not far behind me several times for the next few hundred yards.
Of course, the only squirrel I saw all morning was at long range and headed rapidly in the other direction, but that's how it usually seems to go. Deer hunt or turkey hunt and squirrels are crawling all over you, but when you want a couple for a pot pie they ars scarce. :lol:
Still was a great morning to enjoy nature's beauty, and to know there will be plenty of turkeys for next spring and a few more deer for the freezer when I need one. (I could still kill up to 5 does this season)
wabi
Wishbone

Post by Wishbone »

Wabi, I love the PCP guns. I have 4 of them one is .20 cal, one is .22 cal and the other two are .45 cal.. On a dead calm day the .20 cal can group inside 2 inches at 100 yard using CP pellets. Shot lots of raccoons with it. I want to go out tomorrow for bushy tails myself. The .22 cal is my newest one it's a 6 - shot lever action that tears through 2x4s like there butter. I actually bought it for coyotes. These guns are so much fun it's crazy. I have two old Sheridan Blue Streaks that are dear to me and I even have a newer version of them made by Crosman that I had a thumb hole stock made for but almost always end up taking the PCP to the woods... Good luck next time you get out.

Kevin
Every moment in the woods is a gift from above, having the Excalibur with is a blessing...
saxman

Post by saxman »

Seems like the high powered air guns would be a great way to hone shooting skills and eliminate bad habbits like flinching and antisipation due to recoil.
I may have to try it
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I am starting to get an itch for an air gun since I have been reading about you guys here on the forum and your experiences.

I could pop squirrels till the cows come home just sitting on my back deck. There are hundreds of them.

I know nothing about air guns. If any of you with expertise in this area would be so kind as to drop me a PM with recommendations of a good first air gun to purchase I would be in your debt.
saxman

Post by saxman »

I May pick up a cheap wal mart special for shooting pratice.
I need to go back to the beginig without fear of recoil
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
maple

Post by maple »

Wabi,

Keep it up with the old gun switcheroo strategy.

Pretty soon you'll have the animals so confused you'll have your pick of 'em.

Maple
R.J.

Post by R.J. »

Sounds like a great time out ... !

Good luck with the tastey bushy tails !
See Ya. ... R.J. > " Remember , Trophies are measured by the time and energy expended to get them , not the size or quantity of the quarry "