On the hunt for a new dog..

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Pydpiper

On the hunt for a new dog..

Post by Pydpiper »

Our family is in need of a new companion, my needs are simple and I am looking for help in deciding on a breed.
I have three kids, 5, 4 and 2, I want the dog to be in our home with us opposed to a kennel in the yard.
I would like a dog that can track blood, my wife may use him/her for night coon hunting too.
I will be bringing him/her to work with me, in my truck and to various job sites, mostly residential.
With those simple requirements is there any breed I should be looking at?
The coons may or may not happen, the blood tracking is to help recover animals I have shot and are not easily recoverable.
There are so many options out there..
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

thats easy bloodhound. thats what i am looking to get
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Dave,

If you can find a Hungarian Vizla at a resonable price they are a decent family/hunting dog & also an excellent bird dog.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
dutchhunter

beagle

Post by dutchhunter »

e have a littel beagel and she is just great in the house and loves to track
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Try a Lab! I like dogs much better than wives or kids. You can SSS the ones that don't work out.
"Eze 18:21"
Wishbone

Post by Wishbone »

Get a Decker Rat Terrier, We love ours . Great Frisbee dogs as well as tracking deer after you hit one. Mine live to squirrel and coon hunt. My friends DRTs run boar. Plus they love to be around people. 35 to 40 pounds of furry !!!
Every moment in the woods is a gift from above, having the Excalibur with is a blessing...
wabi

Post by wabi »

I'd go along with the Lab.
I have one (with some additional mixed ancestry in her bloodlines) :lol: , but she is one of the most defensive, yet non-aggressive, dogs I've ever owned. An excellent nose and a great hunting breed (but mine's more of a pet then a hunting dog somply because I've never worked her). She's very gentle around children, but let a strange adult enter the yard and she's on full alert ready to defend the kids - not agressive, but she will bark and make sure they are aware of her.
wabi
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Weimaraner Baby!

The whole gang...

Very similar to a Viszla just a little bigger and a different colour.

We breed them. Next litter will likely be Spring 2009.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
ger34

Post by ger34 »

definately beagle...heres the caption from my coffee mug

" An ancient breed, the Beagle has been a favorite of sportsmen for hundreds of years. Known worldwide for it's ability to hunt various quarries, the Beagle is a merry and affectionate dog, loving people and other pets alike. It adores children and makes a great companion, guarding it's owner and home faithfully"

Can you tell I used to own one?

good luck in your search!!
Summit Viper SS
Exocet 200
Gold Tip Laser II
4" vanes
100gr G5 Montecs
GA.crossbowhunt

Post by GA.crossbowhunt »

londondave. now thats what i call a group shot.its to bad you not to close by. my next door neighbor has one an she is very friendly.
excalibur phoenix
lumi-zone
sts system
acu draw 50
custom string by boo
groundpounders mount
cas custom bolts
100gr slick tricks
excalibur shooter for life
mikej

Post by mikej »

i would go with beagle given you needs. i have a sheppard husky cross and a springer that can both track also
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

The only problem with a Beagle is once they get on the trail of something forget it....they're gone! If you're lucky they'll be back in a day or so. :D

All the "versatile" breeds (Weims, Viszla, GSP, etc) are capable of tracking and much more.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
hawg hunter

Dogs

Post by hawg hunter »

As what you want in a dog. A Dauschund loyal family dog. very protective and natural hunter. I've 2 of these dogs and have been amazed at all these little dogs can do. They will work all day and hunt all nite. I use them here on the farm, dont't let people steer you away about those "weenie cute little dogs" these dogs will earn their keep.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I just went and interrupted the wifes reading, The adventures of Fred Bear (thanks Norm!).. I ran some of the breeds you guys have mentioned by her and she seems to be leaning towards a Beagle, never imagined it but if it is good by her it is good by me. :D
I will look deeper before making any decisions but I have to say that is a good choice given the needs of our family at this moment.

I have not decided anything yet, but if anyone knows a good breeder of Beagle please forward it to me.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

Whisperfield Kennels Reg'd
Ray & Pat Iredale
Box 1196
St Marys, Ontario
Canada N4X 1B7
(519) 284-2363

They breed GSPs and Beagles. Very nice people and they do lots of work with their dogs. Show and field. I have no idea what the cost is for one of their Beagles.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope