What do you do in the stand to pass time

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DanO

Post by DanO »

After 31 years of clocks and bells, I try to force myself to REALLY observe things around me. It's hard to get yourself slowed down enough to look closely, especially if you're still working. It's a challenge for me to not read or do some text messaging etc. I'm good when it's prime hunting time but in the warmth of the day it's tough not to dose off.

I do alot of what if scenarios. What if the deer walked out there .... how far is it? How would I get a good shot? etc. It actually resulted in a good buck earlier this fall. It walked out right where I'd done my what if scenario. And in the excitement I actually remembered to BAH to get him to stop (I always forget!) because I had rehearsed the scenario.

Dan O.

Love the list though. And yeah, I check my safety over and over (OCD??) and I pick the little burrs out of my camo. Do they make camo that doesn't grab that crap? It makes as much noise as velcro.
:roll:
If you're not part of the solution, you might be part of the problem.
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I like to let my senses go into what I call Superdrive. No distractions, total alertness, total concentration. Like a wild animal totally connected to his environment. After a while I see things and hear things that I would have otherwise missed. Like a horizontal "branch" among vertical ones, or the distant "squirrel noise" that just doesn't have the right cadence. At time I'd swear there is a sixth sense working that enables me find a deer even when there were no other sensory clues. Nothing made me focus on that place then, but I did, and sure enough....
Senses are as good as we make them with use. I vividly recall how well they worked in 'Nam. Almost incredibly, one could pick out a faint metallic click where there should be none; or even a smell (like green onions, which the Cong ate in season) where it otherwise shouldn't exist. We just need the right motivation: staying alive back then; seeing more deer now.
Me I'm full-time hunting, no time to read or sleep, or even eat more than a bite; can't hear as well when chewing.
sumner4991

Post by sumner4991 »

Grizzly Adam wrote:I DO take my cell phone. It's only prudent. I might save my own life or someone else's life. I just turn the thing off ... or turn off the ring and vibrate features. :D :wink:
I did that in 2006 . . .lost the phone. Everyone told me to call it. . . . :roll: :lol: :lol: I retraced my steps 20 times, at least. I never did find the thing. The Ravens must have took it.

There's a guy that has a tree stand about 70 yards down the creek from my other stand(not in the swamp). I saw him reading one morning on my way out. The next morning, a little later in the day, he was asleep. Maybe he forgot his book. :)
I'd rather wear out than rust out.
Perception trumps intention.

2006 Exomax w/Agingcrossbower Custom Stock
20" Easton Powerbolts w/125gr Trophy Ridge Stricknines & 2"Blazers
Boo Custom Strings
2006 Vixen
ninepointer

Post by ninepointer »

I sit there daydreaming about the fortune I could make from hunters all across North America if I actually invented something that I call the "Laser-Pruner". It would kind of look like Darth Vader's light sabre, except the beam would reach out about 20 yards. It would be used to trim all those annoying little branches in your shooting lanes; y'know those branches that you never notice or can't quite reach from the ground. :wink:
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

calling ...watching ...eating .....thinking where would be a better spot for a stand ....
whitetailmad

Post by whitetailmad »

I wonder why I had that coffee before hunting and how I am going to get rid of it.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-zone scope
Fire bolt,bolts
Bolt cutter broadheads
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

Thinking to myself...why did i drag myself out of a warm sleeping bag into this cold damp miserable weather while i freeze my pouch off and there is nothing to see...even the squrrrels have taken cover somewhere...and why has my feed pile dissapeared? Was it the grouse or coons that have raided it?? Whos been eating the apples i put out?? Why am i burning a so called "smoke stick?" Do the deer actually burn incense at there place as well? Then i ask myself...why cant a deer present himself broadside in the shooting lane i have carefully establised at 20 yards??Then i rub my runny nose and realise i accidently sprayed buck bomb on the gloves im wearing....yuck!! and so on and so on....
May the scope be clear and the big racks in range!!
Close Up

Post by Close Up »

Well as you know my son pasted his hunting course this year ,so he hunts and I sit and talk to him
OneShot

Post by OneShot »

After way too many years of being told to pay attetntion , I concentrate on anything wild.

I carry a logbook and log all critters encountered.

This year finally seeing a "Gray Fox" , yes an unusual site!

For a long while racoons, owls, hawks, peregrens and such have mistaken me for a permanent part of nature!

Must be wearing the wright thing I guess. LOL>...

When in colledge @ the overly ripe age of '49' I read my lesson books( law and security).

Thank 'GOD' now @ the age of '55' NO_ONE will hire me so I just watch and observe the natural flow of wildlife and wonder what the "H" took me so long to appreciate this and start doing it?
Leave the concrete jungle behind and just go hunting !
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

Lately, it's been just paying attention to what's going on around me. Watching Jays, squirrels, rabbits, coons etc.. That's after I drink a Red Bull.

You see, I've been forced onto shift for the last 8 months, and a shift electrician develops a switch in his butt, and it's instant sleep mode. Not really cool 17' up in the air.
bullfood

Post by bullfood »

planter wrote:If I'm in a stand I'm hunting although now that I know how I might send a text or two.
I also wonder why they put Velcro on hunting gear. It's the loudest tearing sound I can imagine. :cry:
Remcloth: water proof and warm but the sound it makes spooks me as well as deer
brokebow

Post by brokebow »

I think about time past when I hunted with my Father,We allways had such good adventures,and I miss him much ,and I look for deer,and watch the birds and squrrels with there daily habits and try to notice auything unusial,and this keeps me busy doing the thing I love to do the most (bowhunt) Jerry
Jerry
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

Well as you know my son pasted his hunting course this year ,so he hunts and I sit and talk to him
If there was ever a reason why I enjoy to hunt it is this.I got to hunt the controlled(shotgun) hunt with my brother ,his son(my nephew) and dad . :D Could life get any better .
youngbuck1

Post by youngbuck1 »

Well what i do is doz off But hope that nothing go's by me so i don't miss anything big.LOL :lol:
Pro-staff for team gobblestalker
pro-staff at Turkey tuque
DUCKS UNLIMITED CANADA
Turkey callers of canada
http://www.gobblestalkercalls.com
type1 diabetic since 2003
mike schnarr :P
Old Buck

Post by Old Buck »

: :D Doe master hit the nail on the head, three generations hunting together. It dosnt get any better :D