Best boots for still hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Savagevervet

Best boots for still hunting?

Post by Savagevervet »

Howdy, all!

I was wondering if anyone on the forum has any experience still hunting for whitetails and, if so, whether they can recommend a specific model/brand of boots they like. The territory that I hunt in Southwest Missouri is a mix of woodland forest and open plains. The slopes are pretty gentle and there's little if any rock scrambling that has to be done. It DOES get cold, though.

Bass Pro sells something called a Sneak-a-Boot for about $50 USD in their retail stores. Basically, they look like lace-up Aqua Socks in Mossy Oak Break-up. I'm sure they provide little warmth and no ankle support, but the soles are thin enough that you'd probably feel sticks, twigs and other deer-busting noisemakers pretty easily.

Any suggestions from the seasoned still hunters out there?

Savagevervet
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i use action explorer rubber boots for sitting still....nice and toasty ....too heavy for any long distances...
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

Norkian Rubber boots for any walking. As long as you walk you should not get cold.

My sit still boot is a Gorgia Boot, you should be able to find them in the USA. 2000 gr work great for long sits..

Artic Sheilds for boots are well worth the money as well...
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
wabi

Post by wabi »

I like a lightly insulated (200 gm) rubber bottom pac type boot. They are usually thin enough you can still be quiet and the insulation is plenty if you are moving. I buy 1 or 2 sizes too big and wear thick wool socks inside. My feet aren't cramped to cut off circulation that way.
wabi
Boo

Post by Boo »

Le Chameau
Some people just like stepping on rakes
dutchhunter

boots

Post by dutchhunter »

i got the redhead bonedrys at basspro this year started wearing them october 1 every day for bow hunting prob 20 days then come the first of nov gun hunt and as i m,ade my way across a corn field my feet started to rud at the heel OH BOY not good buy the time i got to my stand my feet were bleeding so off come the boots .at dark i tried to put them back on to walk out NO WAY had to carry them under my arm and walk out in my sock feet no fun aany way i ruined the rest of my gun hunt and for three weeks i had to ware open back shoes i tried to wrap up my feet to hunt with no luck .i thought these boots were great at first but well what you gona do DUTCH :cry:
MrBigSticks

Post by MrBigSticks »

i use lacrosse alpha burly in mossy oak very nice rubber boots and quite comfortable
Team: heartstoppers
exocet 200, hawke luminated reticle scope,cow whacker bolts and 125gr slick tricks
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

Rocky boots, 800 gr Thinsulate, with battery operated socks with 85% wool sock over.....and there still cold after an hour and a half.
chris50362

Post by chris50362 »

Oh, and I forgot, I use one of those chemical toe warmers to.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Dutch, I have trouble with wearing boots every fall after a summer of wearing only sandals. I get blisters in the worst way. :? I found the best way around that is to wear a nylon knee high under my regular wicking socks (anything but cotton!) I also rub some antiperspirant on my heel where I'm most prone to blisters - it keeps it from chafing.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I still hunt after the morning sit & use my Irish setter elk trackers. Best boots I have ever owned & really comfortable to walk in all day. I have had mine for 5 years now & have never let me down.

her's the link.

http://www.irishsetterboots.com/shoe-zoom.cfm?style=882
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

I have a pair of Pac Boots from Rocky and the boot name is "Juneau." They have an insane 1600 grams of thinsulate insulation. They are not the best for hunting over hill and dale, but if you are just sitting, you will never have cold tootsies.
exokidd

Post by exokidd »

i just bought a pair of rocky deer stalkers...completey rubber with 1400gr of thinsulate!! Really nice!Image
May the scope be clear and the big racks in range!!
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

exokidd wrote:i just bought a pair of rocky deer stalkers...completey rubber with 1400gr of thinsulate!! Really nice!
exo I saw those boots and thought they just looked outstanding. I am glad to know you like them. I just may pull the trigger on a pair of those.
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I wear a pair with the "Winchester" name on them, my wife bought them last year somewhere. It is a big boot, zipper up the side and waterproof right to the top, which I need and enjoy.
I think they were fairly inexpensive, I wear Redhead lifetime socks on in them and my feet are warm and dry if I am sitting or walking. What I thought was kinda cool about them is they have small hard rubber studs on the bottom, the are recessed until the boot hits the freezing mark, then the studs protrude and give great traction on snow and ice. I have however ripped a few off on the footrest of the quad, but the idea was neat.
I would recommend them from a price standpoint, but they are heavy and pretty bulky so I am in the market for something new too.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string