looks like Ohio's new restitution law might be working

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

looks like Ohio's new restitution law might be working

Post by wabi »

Copied this from the ODNR site:
Chillicothe, OH - Two men convicted of the illegal taking of white-tailed deer have been ordered to pay restitution of $12,988 according to the Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) Division of Wildlife.

The Honorable Judge Thomas E. Bunch presided and assistant law director Michele Route prosecuted today over the first case in the State involving white-tailed deer restitution under Ohio's revised restitution law. The law went into effect March 2008 and allows the Ohio Division of Wildlife to seek an increased recovery value on all illegally harvested wildlife.

Cory A. Posey, 19, of South Salem has pled guilty to charges of taking a deer with a rifle, deterring an officer, taking a deer after hours, and taking more than one buck in a license year. Posey will pay $100 in fines, additional court costs, and $6,494 in restitution. He will serve 200 hours of community service, five years of community control and hunting privileges suspended for five years.

Kyle E. Kruger, 20, of Washington Court House has pled guilty to charges of spotlighting, deterring an officer, and aiding an individual in the unlawful taking of a wild animal. Kruger will pay $100 in fines, additional court costs, and $6,494 in restitution. He will serve 200 hours of community service, five years of community control and hunting privileges suspended for five years.

In addition to fines, restitution, license suspension and community service, the deer, firearms, and all other equipment used in the illegal activities were ordered forfeit. All venison was forfeited and will be donated to a local food pantry.
wabi
hunter 740

Post by hunter 740 »

I hope they knab them all this is my home and hunting turff.I'm seeing fewer mature bucks every year and thats why.There's a great gene pool around here and all the locals know it.The game warden is watching the road I live on for spot lighters because of all of the calls.Last night there was a yearling in a field at a curve in the road when I rounded the curve my car lights hit it and it ran.That 's not a normal reaction unless something is going on.
FredBear

Post by FredBear »

I like what Ohio's doing! If you don't want to follow the rules. Then your going to pay the price!!!
saxman

Post by saxman »

I think that isgreat
my hat's off to Ohio for doing that.
I wish I could find out who killed and wasted that doe at my camp
There has to be some rule about waste of an animal.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
Apple_Orchard

Post by Apple_Orchard »

"Ohio's revised restitution law" should be adopted by all 50 States.
That's some $erious deterrence there.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

The Ohio Department of Natural Recourses and in particular, the Division of Wildlife should be the template for successful management of hunting resources for many of our states.

The people within this department are not only dedicated but are innovative in their approach to supplying we resident hunters with outstanding opportunities.

And their efforts have become successful beyond expectations. In most counties in Ohio every deer hunter is able to venture into the woods and know that they have a chance to shoot a trophy whitetail. Does it always happen, of course not. But there still is that chance. In states that allow hunters to take multiple bucks for what ever reasons (and I know there are legitimate ones) sadly, that chance or likelihood is not present.

The youth gun hunts that the ODNR promote are paying dividends and the numbers of young Ohio deer hunters are increasing. And when you contact the department the people are just super to deal with. When you meet a wildlife officer in Ohio out in the field you find them to be courteous if not down right friendly.

Yep, the ODNR gets it!

I wish they would move to Pennsylvania Avenue.
wildwindom

Post by wildwindom »

Ya i seen that in the papper the other day so glad they got busted!!
[img]http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/1garywindom/bones.jpg[/img]
08 VORTEX
FFF STRING
LUMI-ZONE
GT LAZER II
100 GRAIN SLICK TRICKS
cdup

Post by cdup »

[quote="Apple_Orchard"]"Ohio's revised restitution law" should be adopted by all 50 States.

I second it!
Respect everyone, but fear no one
Limbs and Sticks

post sub

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Here in VA. most of the time smack on the wrist small fine and go on as you were, yes every STATE needs this law

WES
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

Yup, they just got 4 more for poaching in Coshocton. This was from a tip and the investigation called "Operation Overkill" began in September 2006. Equitement was forfeited to the Division of Wildlife included four vehicles, two crossbows, eight guns, nearly 30 sets of antlers, more then 300 packages of meat, six mounted deer, several knives, meat processing eqt., and one mounted Red-tailed hawk.

see article in The Morning Journal Sunday November 23, 2008. Under POACHING

[email protected]

Good Hunting!!

GaryL .... :D
Always learning!!
Home fer now!