where is my Buck?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

polar bear

where is my Buck?

Post by polar bear »

new to hunting, and am extremly fustrated !!! I keep seeing these 6 doe's every night arround 5pm, they have even come as close to me as 15' !! but I only have a buck tag... so when are the bucks going to show up? The trail camera shows a 6,8,10,and a 12 point buck, but i never see them....any advice ?
Golden Eagle

Post by Golden Eagle »

Your location? I know around here last week, you couldnt find a nice shooter Buck. Lots of small ones. The Big Boys were locked down with Hot Does.
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

all i can say is welcome to hunting.. if a mature buck walked by everytime you go out then their wouldnt be any around. They get big for a reason.. they are smart animals :D

if we could predict when and where every buck would show, then it probably wouldnt be any fun. If you cameras shows time, then that will help you figure out when they are moving. If those mature bucks get any of your scent then they have probably become night time movers. Its to many factors to see why they arent showing for you. If you hunt a area to much, they become night feeders. If you hunt the wind wrong, they become night feeders. If you use the wrong scent or calls, they get smart and aviod that area. Some hunters rented a farm this year that ive killed plenty of mature bucks on. Im pretty sure thats why they paid big cash for it. Everyyear by this time on that farm I would have seen 50 deer and taken atleast 1 shooter buck if not 2. They have so far seen 6 deer and killed 2 doe. Its all in how you hunt
8) :D

goodluck on your deer... ive hunted 1 buck for 2 years only to have another hunter kill him. But thats hunting :D
polar bear

Post by polar bear »

Im located in south central ontario, cnd. The bucks seem to show up very late at night, approx. 10-11pm so taking one that late is never gonna happen...any way to make them come out during legal day timer hours ? I've gone "sent-lok" crazy, head to toe, even change on the back of the tailgate while it's friggin' snowing, 18' tree stand, and so far the doe's never smell me.
huntman

Post by huntman »

are you hunting field edges or in the bush??
wabi

Post by wabi »

We could trade hunting areas. 8)
I killed the one buck per year allowed here already, but could still kill up to 5 does. All I've been seeing is bucks! Had one at 15 yards this evening and a nice 8 pointer at about 50, but he was staying right with the only doe I've seen this week, and she didn't come close.
wabi
saxman

Post by saxman »

Same problem here Polar bear
The bucks have disapperad on me.
I have seen some small bucks and several does.
I'm thinking it's hunting pressure and moon phase combined for me.
At least thats what I'm telling myself
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011
DropTine

Post by DropTine »

Hunt from 10am-2pm, especially with this snow, they will be moving during these hours. All the bucks my dad has ever shot with the exception of 3 has been killed between these hours.

Matt
BowTech Gaurdian
Apex Sight
Trophy Taker Drop Away Rest
Beman ICS Camo Hunter Arrows
Rage 100gr Slipcam Broadheads
Scott Archery Release

I am 19 years old and hunt and fish as much as I can
polar bear

Post by polar bear »

thanks for the tips guy's.... also all my feed/apples are buried in the snow, will they dig them out, or should I trhrow out some more ?
crazyfarmer

Post by crazyfarmer »

more then likely they are staying close to there beds... as asked, are you hunting a field or woods? One trick is moving close to their beds and catching them before they hit the fields. Thats the best way to get a buck that shows after dark in the fields.

but its a hit or miss thing.. sometimes you see deer and sometimes you dont.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

hold your breath while on stand...when you pass out and fall out of your tree, they surely will come in to see what happened. :lol:
jay
Invalid Session. Please resubmit the form.
flbuckmaster

Post by flbuckmaster »

my guess is you are hunting too often from the same stand. when a mature buck thinks you might be in the area, they will avoid the area like the plague.
jay
kyteach

Post by kyteach »

Hunting is not about the KILL. It is about being "out there" and enjoying GOD"s great earth. Where I llive, I could KIll a BUCK a day, but I haven't kiilled a deer in two years. I passed on a 9 point right at me last year.
Just enjoy each time your are in the woods. You will live longer and be happier.
Exomax
Groundpounder mount
Boo Custom String
Benu

Post by Benu »

Lucky guy, I haven't seen deer way out of range (200 yards), with over 24 hours logged in my stand this season. I may have over hunted, or used bad calls, sure....but it is my first season hunting, and I have loved every minute I have been in the bush, that my joy. A deer would be great too, but if it was too easy, I don't think I would so addicted to being out there. The wait is the best part.
Take it easy.

Jason

2008 Phoenix
Varizone Scope
saxman

Post by saxman »

I have figured some of the problem out down here
The acorns are dropping like rain in the oak flats
Time to get out the turkey blind and move on them.
Scott
http://www.myspace.com/saxman1

Take a kid hunting
They don't remember their best day of watching TV

Excalibur Equinox
TruGlo Red/Green Dot
NGSS Absorber by NewGuy
Custom strings by BOO
Groundpounder Top Mount
ACF Member - 2011