To smart for his own good.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

whitetailmad

To smart for his own good.

Post by whitetailmad »

There is a nice little rack buck in the area I hunt. Early in the season I called him and a much bigger buck out. I was waiting for the big guy to get into range and out of the quartering to position. That little guy knew something was wrong and split taking that big guy with him. My first encounter.

The next time was just a few weeks ago. Again called him with the doe can and some scent. Staying well in the bush and when he did come out there was some short scrub brush between him and me (i was hunting out of a ground blind) Called again and he started walking my way as he got to my shooting lane. Again he got spooky and stop a yard to short to get a shot off. He stayed around for about ten minutes trying to find the doe he could smell and hear. In the end he had wandered off with no chance at a shot.

Last night same spot same scent and call same little deer. Again staying in the brush. Coming to the first shooting lane I am ready and he jumps clear across the lane did the same at the next lane. Call him back still hanging back in the bush 40 yards out. He gets to the lane and again jumps clear across it. He is trying hard to find that doe. He is heading for a shooting lane at 30 yards again I am ready waiting for him to step into my scope. Can't see him start scanning for him but can't see him anymore. I can hear him walking away. This guy is way to smart.

Call it revenge or what ever but I want this guy bad. He is really starting to piss me off.
Excalibur Equinox
Lumi-zone scope
Fire bolt,bolts
Bolt cutter broadheads
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

By the sound of things he's going to be around a while. I'd watch him grow into a real trophy. Only hope that his horn genetics are as good as his survival instincts.
Mike P

Post by Mike P »

What he said.
8up

Post by 8up »

cut a small hole thru the brush at the height of the vitals somewhere between your shooting lanes than once you know its him and he jumps your shooting lane you can get the shot off thru the hole. Good Luck
2008 Excalibur Vortex, Lumizone, STS
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Galgo

Post by Galgo »

I would try my doe deek to get this youngster
mikej

Post by mikej »

Galgo wrote:I would try my doe deek to get this youngster
i don't have one but that is what i would do if i did
awshucks

Post by awshucks »

Or just enjoy the challenge? :D If they were all as dumb as some there wouldn't be any left to hunt. :D
"Eze 18:21"
cdup

Post by cdup »

Ever used a decoy? You may want to give it a try.
Respect everyone, but fear no one
hikerman

Post by hikerman »

awshucks wrote:Or just enjoy the challenge? :D If they were all as dumb as some there wouldn't be any left to hunt. :D
That whats great about it.
Exocet 175#
Easton, 2216
2"vanes
G5 Montech 125g.
Boo String.