What do you guys think?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

peter p

Post by peter p »

Hey Armando,
when you put up the deer after it bedded, did it run at full speed or kind of trot off?
If you didn't get a good look at it you can tell by the tracks in the snow whether he was running at full speed.
Usually with a shoulder shot the run like mad before bedding down.
Hopefully it's a clipped lung or liver and you might still be able to find him especially with the snow on the ground.
dutchhunter

keep tring

Post by dutchhunter »

it is well worth the effert gat some friends togher and spread out you may get lucky DUTCH
huntman

Post by huntman »

went out for look again and found NO blood after the last time the buck had bedded! i was with 5 guys so one stayed at the last blood and the other 4 did a grid search all around for another 150 yards each way. No blood No deer. Decided to go back to the shot zone and found the arrow it looks to me like the deer was hit either low however the hair was not white it was brown and had some black in it. Which makes me believe it was a brisket shot. Either was i think the deer is fine and will recover, i fell better knowing the deer isnt running around with an arrow sticking out of him. The only other infor my buddy gave me about the shot was that when the deer ran into the bush after he shot the deer was "hunched over like a cat"
bow hunter

Post by bow hunter »

I killed two bucks on the second day of the season this year. The blood trail on both was difficult to follow and eventually went down to nothing. I eventually found both bucks by continued searching in the last direction I saw them headed. Both deer were lung shot. One was a single lung shot, the other was one lung and liver. Jus pointing out that a lite blood trail is not aleays an indication of a bad shot.