Different opinions on ExCal Bows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wabi

Post by wabi »

I think the answers point out the difference isn't quality, it's poundage with the exception of the Vixen (available in brown finish only).
I would have to suggest basing the purchase on your physical characteristics and the largest game you intend to hunt.
Personally, I'm not so tall (only 5'-6") so I find the shorter bows are much more comfortable to cock. The largest game I'll probably hunt is the whitetail, so power isn't a concern - any of the Excaliburs are more than enough. I chose the Phoenix because it is still compact enough to be easy to cock and I prefer a camo finish simply because it looks better to me, the deer could probably care less. :lol:
I started many years ago with a Vixen (the black finish) and it was all I really needed, but I let the talk of "faster is better" get to me and sold it and bought an Exocet (175#). The Exocet was too much for me to cock comfortably (the draw length, not the weight was the problem). When the Phoenix was introduced I grabbed one up ASAP! The weight of the Exocet and the power stroke of the Vixen (at that time) and I was in love! :lol:
I've owned the Phoenix for three seasons now, and have no desire, or intentions, of ever letting it go! If it were lost, stolen, or destroyed tomorrow I'd buy another Phoenix! Every deer I've shot with it was a complete pass-through, and every one was a good quick kill. My only failure was a complete miss on one opening day of this season because of a scope failure (TenPoint scope) but a Vari-Zone solved that problem and I'm 2 for 2 since!
wabi
raydaughety

Post by raydaughety »

Adrian, do you have an Excal dealer in your area? If not, do you know anyone that has an Excal? Anyhow, I have a 200lb exomag that I bought in 2002 and it is just perfect for me and as someone said, the 200lb bows are right in the middle as far as draw weight. BTW, thanks for all the turkey hunting advice last year :wink:
God Bless !!!!!!!!!

Ray
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Adrian,

As you know I shoot wabi's old Exocet 175lb. & love it more than enough bow for any North American animal & easy to cock/uncock by hand if necessary.

You are around enough shows to be able to handle all the different models & am sure Peter would let you play with them at their booth but I suggest buy the one that feels best to you as everybody has their own opinion.

The only reason I changed from my Wolverine (150lb) was because of the carrying weight difference The wood stock after a 3/4 mile + hike back to my hunting location with my gear etc. is the only reason for the change.

All Excaliburs are an excellent choice but choose what feels best for you.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
chris4570

Post by chris4570 »

Exocet 175#! That's all I will ever need. I wouldn't hesitate to hunt moose with it. I love my Exocet! From October 1 to Dec 31 it's the only animal getter that goes into the woods with me.

I haven't hunted since yesterday morning and already I am going through withdrawls. :roll:
You can take the man out of the woods but you can't take the woods out of the man.

"Celebrate your harvest with a Bloodtrail Ale(tm)!!"
"It CAN Be Done!"
Adrian J Hare

Post by Adrian J Hare »

mtbyak wrote:Adrian,

As you know I shoot wabi's old Exocet 175lb. & love it more than enough bow for any North American animal & easy to cock/uncock by hand if necessary.

You are around enough shows to be able to handle all the different models & am sure Peter would let you play with them at their booth but I suggest buy the one that feels best to you as everybody has their own opinion.

The only reason I changed from my Wolverine (150lb) was because of the carrying weight difference The wood stock after a 3/4 mile + hike back to my hunting location with my gear etc. is the only reason for the change.

All Excaliburs are an excellent choice but choose what feels best for you.

Shoot Straight
Kirk
Kirk, thats the problem at shows. Peter, Rob, Bill and Kathy all huddle and force me out away from the Booth because they are to busy at these events :lol: Really Both Excal and I am always to busy at these shows and we will find the time.

I would not buy another make of Crossbow if I ever go back to crossbow. I have owned a couple different crossbows but Excal is the Mathews or the crossbow world.

Thanks Everyone for your honest opinions and help....
Ontario Hunting Lodge
http://z13.invisionfree.com/Ont_Hunting_Lodge/index.php?act=idx
wabi

Post by wabi »

mtbyak wrote:Adrian,

Kirk
Kirk,
You must be just a tad taller than I am. When I tried to cock it by hand in cold weather with all my heavy clothes on I ran out of lift about 1/2" short of the latch. :lol: :lol: :lol:
The Phoenix is my limit for cocking by hand, and I only do that if I have to reload quickly (or forget the cocking rope :oops: ).
wabi
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I just switched from an Exocet 200 to an Exomax and I honestly say I noticed any big difference in the effort required to cock it. I was out yesterday sighting the Exomax in and probably took about 20 shots. The first one didn't seem anymore difficult then the last one. However I am 6'2" so the 1" difference in the power stroke isn't very noticeable. Most of my cocking effort is done just by standing up straight and then a little bit of arm pull.

Other than that no difference between the Exocet and Exomax. They both shoot dead-nuts.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

Adrian short chap!!!

I started with a phoenix last year, killed a buck and a doe with it, and bought an Exomax this year Why?? Just because......

Got both here in Peterborough if you want to try either or sometime.

PM me.
I come by my name honestly.
mtbyak

Post by mtbyak »

Yes wabi I am 6 ft & I probably could use a max but the exocet is more bow than I will ever need & I love it.

I actually even got some blood on it this season :wink:

Shoot Straight
Kirk
A bad day hunting, is better then a good day of work
TNXBow

Post by TNXBow »

I went with the Exomax 3 years ago, mainly with the idea that faster is better. I am 5' 10" and always use the rope cocker and never have any problems cocking the bow. I have hand cocked the bow a few times and I was concerned that since I am a right handed, the pull to the stronger side made the string slightly off center. Also, I had to wear gloves to comfortable hand cock the bow. I keep the rope cocker in the pouch of my Hunter Safety System vest, so it's easy to retrieve when needed.

It always a matter of preference and we tend to recommend what we own...