Sts question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

opossum

Sts question

Post by opossum »

I was interested in how much the sts reduce the noise and where to get them.My 9 year old son shot a spike last saturday and the deer dropped at the sound of the shot.The arrow hit it to high and I was unable to recover the deer.It is not a good for a kid to loose the first deer he ever shot.I told him it would probably survive because I don't think he hit anything vital.The deer did not bleed much.Thanks for any info.
bob1961

Post by bob1961 »

try this place out where i got mine from.................bob

http://www.outdoorsexperience.com/excalibursts.html

exocet 200. STS dampers.
boo string and trigger work.
munch mount quiver mount.
125 gr slick trick magums.
2" blazers on 2117 XX75 w/ brass inserts.
Boo

Post by Boo »

I think it is reduced by 50% or more as well as changing the noise to a different tone or frequency. There's no telling what kind of noise bothers which deer. There's been times when I shot over the back of a deer and the deer never moved. I don't think there is any abrupt noise that will not make an alert deer bug out of the area.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

I don't think they do much to reduce noise per se. They do reduce after-shot vibration. Some will say that's noise, I don't agree.
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

Well I disagree. I have two crossbows with STS and two without. The two with STS are remarkably quieter. Anyone shooting with me can hear the difference standing right beside me. I might add though, that these bow's are foam filled, clips covered, and Cat whiskers on the strings as well.
I would recommend STS to everyone in a Heart Beat.

John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
mikej

Re: b

Post by mikej »

John wrote:Well I disagree. I have two crossbows with STS and two without. The two with STS are remarkably quieter. Anyone shooting with me can hear the difference standing right beside me. I might add though, that these bow's are foam filled, clips covered, and Cat whiskers on the strings as well.

John
what is clips covered? what clips are you refering to john?
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

"Well I disagree. I have two crossbows with STS and two without. The two with STS are remarkably quieter. Anyone shooting with me can hear the difference standing right beside me. I might add though, that these bow's are foam filled, clips covered, and Cat whiskers on the strings as well.
I would recommend STS to everyone in a Heart Beat."

So, what you're really saying is that you can't be sure if it's the STS or all the other gizmos that make the difference, eh?
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

John wrote:Well I disagree. I have two crossbows with STS and two without. The two with STS are remarkably quieter. Anyone shooting with me can hear the difference standing right beside me. I might add though, that these bow's are foam filled, clips covered, and Cat whiskers on the strings as well.

John
John, I have a set of STS. Question fer ya, is did you leave the studs/bars at the length they come or cut them down a little?

I think I would like mine flush with the brace height, as mine are back a little. To set my brace height I would have to remove the studs.

GaryL
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Normous

Post by Normous »

GaryL,
You can cut them down to lower your brace height. Measure twice and cut once.

For Mikej. The clip John is refering to is the one holding the bolt to the rail. Shrink wrap or mole fleece works. I also added a piece of a Sims strip on top, about halfway down, for vibration.
Last edited by Normous on Mon Dec 01, 2008 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

[quote="enormous"]GaryL,
You can cut them down to lower your brace height. Measure twice and cut once.

Thanks enormous,

will do, measure twice.. cut once :lol:

GaryL .... :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

mikej wrote:

John
what is clips covered? what clips are you refering to john?
I think he is talking about the clips or pawls that hold the string when the bow is cocked. Some guys cover the with moleskin and it is supposed to reduce noise.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I just purchased a used Exomax that came equipped with a STS. When sighting it in I didn't think it was any quieter than my Exocet but Riley was standing off to the side and he said it was much quieter. I had Riley shoot it while I listened and it was slightly quieter.

I haven't had the opportunity to shoot at a deer with it yet so I can't tell you if they find it quieter or not. :D

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
warningshot

Post by warningshot »

i picked up a custom boo string with cat wiskers .....it made a huge difference...from the factory string took out the vibe as well .....then added sts and haven't found it any quieter .......i think they can get only so quiet
GaryL

Post by GaryL »

I cut mine down where I can measure my BH., don't know if they made it any quieter as yet, as I have not tried it out with STS as yet.

I just wanted too see out of curiosity more then anything as by the time the deer hear it its on its way to deer heaven!!

GaryL .... :twisted:
Always learning!!
Home fer now!
Big John

b

Post by Big John »

The clips I referred to are the ones holding the bolt down to the rail.
Cutting down the posts that come with the STS is a must if you wish to maintain brace height of 1-1/8".

Cossack: Whenever I purchase a crossbow the first thing's I do are make the bow's quiet. All things are checked. Hardware, bolts , screws, pads, foam fill, cover clips, if possible whiskers on strings, although not completely necessary, and anything else I find is done. when I buy I completely strip the bow's down and re-build. What I can say is vibration equals more noise, so eliminating that is half the battle.
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]