black powder week

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

wheelie

black powder week

Post by wheelie »

Black powder week, Guess crossbow season is off, Can you still go out in hunter orange? Wounering how sticky the MNR is about that.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Bows and muzzle-loading guns only; no dogs

foundmy answer, website is different from MNR book
Normous

Post by Normous »

You will need orange this week.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Grizzly Adam

Re: black powder week

Post by Grizzly Adam »

wheelie wrote: Can you still go out in hunter orange?
You should wear orange for safety's sake, Wheelie. :D
Grizz
mikej

Post by mikej »

in the 2 week rifle hunt here when i wasn't hunting with the camp using dogs i sat in my stand with hunter orange using my bow and my rifle in case i had a longer range shot
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

so if i participated in the november controlled hunt, i can bowhunt this week as long as i wear orange?
NewGuy

Post by NewGuy »

I found this on the MNR website
You must apply to the
controlled hunt draw if you wish to hunt with a permitted firearm
other than a bow during the controlled season.
So am i safe to assume i can bowhunt this week as long as i wear orange?
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

If it is a controlled hunt you can only hunt deer with the specified firearm, shotgun or muzzle loader, however, you can still hunt other game with other firearms, like rim fire, and even shotgun(with limitations on shot size). But the law does require you to wear orange for that week no matter what you are hunting.
I find it a great time to get out there with my .17HMR, I recently spoke to the MNR about using it for small game because the regs sort of say that you are limited to a .22 during the controlled, but the .17 slides through the description, the regs say "you may not possessor use a rifle of greater caliber or projectile power that a .22 caliber rim fire rifle.." "...no shot larger than #2.."

Coyote hunting in blaze orange is a real challenge!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
dutchhunter

controled hunt

Post by dutchhunter »

we always just hung our bows up this week and never realy though about it .I am not sure if it is okay to be out under the bow tag or not i would like to know DUTCH
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

To my understanding for this area you have to apply for the controlled hunt to be able to archery hunt this week. It's a controlled hunt only therefore the regular archery season is closed for this week in our area. You have to have received the permit for the controlled hunt to be able to bowhunt or shotgun/ML for deer this week. As Pyd said you can varmit hunt if you use .22 or smaller.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
bbbwb

Black Powder Week

Post by bbbwb »

According to my understanding of the regs, Hunter Orange must be worn by all hunters during the deer season, regardless of what one is hunting.However, check the regs for the Controlled Hunt Conditions (restrictions) for the WMU. It may state "Muzzle loader guns only" or "Shotguns and Muzzle-loading guns only", or "Rifles, shotguns and muzzle-loading guns only" in which case, I interpret this to mean that archery hunting is not allowed.

bbbwb
dutchhunter

controled

Post by dutchhunter »

thats is what i thought no bow hunting for deer this week .you may still hunt ducks ans geese as well as rabbits and yotes but you must wear orange it my knowledge DUTCH
Isis

Controled hunt

Post by Isis »

Newguy, if you hunted in the controled hunt in Nov, you cannot hunt in the Dec controled hunt as the MNR will not give you a validation tag for both controled hunts. I tried to get one and this is what I was told.
Bill T

Post by Bill T »

I'm hunting this week with my flint rifle in area 80 where I live. You CAN hunt with crossbow this week, but ONLY if you have applied and received a controlled hunt tag. If you hunt with crossbow under this condition you MUST wear 400 square inches of orange plus a hat.
This will be a new experience for me, I've never worn orange and snow camo at the same time, we got another 4 or 5 inches on top of the original 6 we had so it's pretty well socked in where I'll be hunting. The good news is that I got the tracks on the argo yesterday.
fdegurse

Post by fdegurse »

Pydpiper wrote:If it is a controlled hunt you can only hunt deer with the specified firearm, shotgun or muzzle loader, however, you can still hunt other game with other firearms, like rim fire, and even shotgun(with limitations on shot size). But the law does require you to wear orange for that week no matter what you are hunting.
I find it a great time to get out there with my .17HMR, I recently spoke to the MNR about using it for small game because the regs sort of say that you are limited to a .22 during the controlled, but the .17 slides through the description, the regs say "you may not possessor use a rifle of greater caliber or projectile power that a .22 caliber rim fire rifle.." "...no shot larger than #2.."

Coyote hunting in blaze orange is a real challenge!

Shoot from a pop up blind and wear your orange so it won't matter to the yotes, During muzzle loader week we put a hat or a vest on top so guys know where it is in the background of any long shots.
Frank and a 2005 Exomax