what slick trick?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

houndogger

what slick trick?

Post by houndogger »

Hello all thinking of switching the slick trick heads. But dont know enough about them to choose which style. Currnetly I shoot 125 gr Wasps fixed heads. Any help would be Appreciated.

Thanks Houndogger
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

You don't offer enough information. What size of game will you hunt? What bow will you be using? What bolt weight?

Without that information, you won't get the BEST answer!
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
Dumbazz

Post by Dumbazz »

I was thinking about going to Slicks next year as well.

I want them for whitetails. Shooting an exomax. Possibly a phoenix. 2116's.

Currently shooting 3 blade Wasp Boss.
I come by my name honestly.
Normous

Post by Normous »

Ben S from the forum was over last week and showed me a 1/2 dozen new Grizz Trick 100 gr 1 1/4 four blade. I couldn't stop lookin at them Those things look bad azz for sure. He said they flew well on the new Firebolt. I want some too.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Go with the 125 gr mag heads if you're looking for a bit higher FOC, otherwise the 100 mags will do.

I'm shooting 100s on my Phoenix and Vortex, using Gold Tip Lazer II, with 110 grn brass inserts and Blazers for 405 grns total weight and FOC over 20%.
On my 355 fps bow I'm shooting the 125 grn heads but only because the mfgr. specifies bolts that weigh at least 425 grns.
subneural

Post by subneural »

Noob question - what does FOC stand for? Thanks.
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.
VixChix

Post by VixChix »

Front Of Centre - the "out of balance" weight of the arrow toward the front.
Vixen, Micro 315, HHA Optimizer, Boo & VixenMaster strings, Munch Mounts, Dr. Stirrup accessories.
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

I shoot the Slick Trick "Magnums" (1 1/4" cut) in 100 grain and they've done the trick x3 for me so far this year.

Pack of 3 is $24.95 at The Archer's Nook in London (they do mailorder). It's hard to find broadhead of that quailty for that price. Most are in the $35 range for a pack of 3.

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Normous

Post by Normous »

LondonDave wrote:I shoot the Slick Trick "Magnums" (1 1/4" cut) in 100 grain and they've done the trick x3 for me so far this year.

Pack of 3 is $24.95 at The Archer's Nook in London (they do mailorder). It's hard to find broadhead of that quailty for that price. Most are in the $35 range for a pack of 3.

Dave
I thought the "Magnums" were 1 1/8" cut. So far only the Grizz Trick is 1 1/4" cut according to Slick Trick.
See here:
http://www.slicktrick.net/products.html
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
LondonDave

Post by LondonDave »

enormous wrote:
LondonDave wrote:I shoot the Slick Trick "Magnums" (1 1/4" cut) in 100 grain and they've done the trick x3 for me so far this year.

Dave
I thought the "Magnums" were 1 1/8" cut. So far only the Grizz Trick is 1 1/4" cut according to Slick Trick.
See here:
http://www.slicktrick.net/products.html
You are probably right. Just going from memory which isn't very good at times. :D

Dave
2007 Exomax
String by "Boo"
Bolts by "GREYWOLF" and "John"
Dan Miller quiver mount
Varizone Scope
Butler Creek and Excalibur scope caps
Normous

Post by Normous »

No problem Dave. I'm home sick with a bad cold and just hanging around here.
Matrix 355
Boo Strings
fishnbugdude

Post by fishnbugdude »

went with the 125 g slicks with Laser II brass inserts and have found them to be the best combo off my Max. I did run the 100 Wasps and found they worked good but did not fly as tight as the Tricks.

They shoot like my field tips and are deadly.

Taken three deer this year with them. With the last deer the shot sucked. Too high up in the tree - came down hard and back - took out one lung, liver and clipped the stomach. The exit hole was in the belly. The blood trail was crazy. She ran almost 150 yards - bedded down twice. I am sure the large 4 blade helped put her down quicker then any other broad head I have used.

Though they are a short wide head they cut very well - was not sure of that when I first took a look at them. Found they almost push the lungs rather then cut but the slice through any harder organs and skin (some softer tissue was pulled out the exit hole of one of the deer but the 4 blade cut was very evident through the heart of the second deer I took).

All and all I would highly recommend them to anyone shooting higher fps bows.
subneural

Post by subneural »

Thanks Vix!

For the rest - I have a set of 100gr 1.25" Grizz Tricks in the post (thanks bj). Once I receive them, I am going to give them a go on my 2216's (primarily for whitetails). I'm curious to see any changes to the flight characteristics/trajectory compared to the 100gr field points. Cheers.
Boo-strung, GroundPounded and Varizoned Phoenix, sold.
PSE Brute X pushing Easton Flatlines topped with Rage 3-blades.
beretta96D

Post by beretta96D »

I was shooting a 145gr BH with GT lazer II's with inserts. I bought some Grizz Tricks but since they're only 100gr I bought some GT weights and added an additional 50grs to the rear of my brass insert.

I found they flew extremely well out to 50 yards, though they do "wizz" in the air and it's more noticeable naturally the further out you shoot. They are very hard on BH blocks but a small price to pay if they work that well on an animal.

I shoot the Equinox and my previous setup was chronoed at 318fps so I suspect this should be the same or very close.